Telling Friends And Family To Wake Up Is Like Telling Them To Sleep

You can't fix stupid

14956642_1316677745023094_3996535550508290712_n

1 Like

Interesting claim. I suspect you’re probably right and death is literally no-thing, the absolute antithesis of experience.

I can’t get my head around the notion of nothingness. Best I can to is blackness. However, I tell myself it’s exactly like a dreamless sleep, just like turning off a light switch. .One second one is, the next second one is not.

Having said that, I remain afraid to die. The instinct of survival is our most powerful instinct. Without it our species would cease to be. I’m hoping that dying is not an experience for me. A stroke in my sleep would nice. Or perhaps like each of my parents; doped up to the eye balls on morphine.

1 Like

Death seems scary but in the end there’s no more pain either.

High.

Watching The Hangover 1.

Edit; This isn’t my computer when finished with using it it goes to my roommate. My SSD is in a different computer, as I will be reinstalling my computer tomorrow. Not sure if I will try the hard drive from this computer or not. Maybe as extra storage I have drives big enough for Windows 10.

How big is your SSD? Have you thought of a bigger SSD instead of a HDD?

My current box has a 1TB SSD, no hard drive. I have partitioned it, for the OS on one, and larger files I want to keep on another.

Large files such as movies are kept on a 4TB external HDD which is attached to my router as the basis for my internal network.

Oh, also has 8GB RAM, i5 processor, 9th generation, octa core. Basic mother board and graphics card, ( I’m not a gamer) and 32 inch Viewsonic monitor.

PS I am no nerd, but have a very nerdy mate who does his best to teach me basics.—He has degree in computing and is a retired programmer. He helped me with the specs for this system.

1 Like

My board should have two of these

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/6378

Only one cpu works as the bios is corrupt and the ram banks don’t even have the right names on them. Something really got fucked up. I ordered a new board but that will be awhile. So I have to install what I do have until I can replace the board. Then lots of work taking out the old motherboard to place in the new one.

Only 8GB memory but it is ECC Registered and was not a bad price. Server boards take that type of memory.

The SSD btw is only a 500GB I got it when I first built my server. Which had had problems with the first board anything I placed in bank two cpu 2 it wouldn’t boot at all. My second one stopped working on my and the bios went corrupt so this is my third board and got it from NewEgg that way I have some sort of guarantee it will work or I get a replacement. Will probably register it on the Asus website too.

I have two 1tb ordinary HDDs in it. Will put up one of my smaller ones for windows.

But of course the one who puts it all together is me.

When I have the money I am going to place another 88$ into my computer filling it with ram until I cant anymore is one of my goals.

I always put my own computers together.

My system:
Apart from the OS on a 500GB SSD, everything else is run on external SSD thru a USB3 hub.
External 3TB drive takes care of backups.

I just retired i7(860) 32GB RAM(dead power box, now replaced) to video and backup duties (it runs the smart television) and replaced with an Intel 9 10th Gen, 32GB Ram, 1070GTi Graphic card ( SH from stepson) and a 144MHZ 32" curved screen.

Should see me out I reckon.

1 Like

Once I have a new board mine will be two AMD Opteron 6378s, yours is still faster but I do little to no video gaming. I have a MSI R7250 2gb ram.
I have 16 GB in here but only 8 is usable.

I have a cheap Sound Blaster which I added as this board doesn’t come with a sound card. I think I have the TV card in here, but it does me no good without a decent antenna. They encrypted too many channels so there’s no need for the thing. It is a quad so I would be able to watch four tv stations at once. Not that it matters too much I can watch TV on my desktop. I am getting 8GB ram with the order I made to newegg and it is ecc register ram I am getting. OS Windows 10 Pro. When I get my new board I will have CPUs with 16 cores each, or 8 cores with 16 logical processors. 32 total which is more than I’ll ever need. I want to build an Epyc system but don’t have the green.

It is good for what I want but this is my third motherboard.

1 Like

Well, you guys are light years a head of me.

Although the box has a 1TD SSD, I also have two external hard drives. 1x 2TB attached to the box used mainly for automatic back ups by Acronis. 1X4TB connected to my router. This contains mainly Films and TV series. (currently 900 odd GB free)

I try to keep mentally alert by having 3 computers, 2 android TV’s an Android tablet and phone. I use up to four OS ; iMac, Windows 10, Linux Mint, and Android.

I count myself very fortunate to have my nerdy mate. He helps me a lot, but also teaches me.

1 Like

Oh yeah I forgot my motherboard:MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk.

That should get you salivating.

1 Like

From my DOS days I learned the habit of keeping my system as clean as possible. That also includes regularly going through my hard drive and eradicating anything I do not need. For this task I use WinDirStat.

It is free (yea) and visually represents the files within the hard drive.

I also run a hard drive analyzer to predict any hard drive failures.

Pretty neat looking board.

My board.

Once I get the replacement I can have two CPUs running again.
Ordered a replacement and also thermal paste to re-due that when ready. Ordered two at a time to be sure I have plenty, even if I don’t need the second one.

I will be redoing my roommate’s computer CPU assembly as well. The Heat sink has too much dust collected on it and doesn’t do as good a job as it could keeping things cool. That system is an old AMD four core machine and it takes the thing like 50% CPU power to play a blu ray.
My system hardly breaks a sweat with all enhancements on, even without the second CPU. Video is nothing special as it is a MSI Radeon R7 250. It’s good for what I want it for.

Your system is much better but I do little to no gaming.

My nerdy mate helped me put together the specs for this PC. The idea was to have a machine based on my needs. He thought the i5 processor was overkill, that an i3 would have been fine.

Altogether, it cost me the same as my basic Imac , which I bought in 2016.
I don’t become involved in fatuous arguments about which OS is best. I like Mac OS best, followed by Linux, which I guess make sense.

I agree, lost count of arguments with friends and customers when I suggest they buy a system that suits their needs not their “wants”.

Me? fuck it, I enjoy gaming and my work entailed very heavy duty processor and RAM usage. Not going backwards from that! Start up time is approx 6 seconds, and I can run up to 6 split screens on my monitior without breaking a sweat or having probs.

I reckon this will be my last system so needed to future proof as much as possible. Love Ubuntu, but have stuck with Windows Pro purely because of ease of use with Madame in the house and the networking with the TV, Mobiles, smart appliances and tablets etc.

Bullshit, it is not evidence. There was a first person to see a cow and that was evidence. There was a first person to see a nerf shark and that was evidence. What you mean to say is that the evidence is unconvincing to you. Who cares! Millions of people all over the world are convinced that what I have said is completely true. Direct experience IS evidence.

3 Likes

Yup…

1 Like

Yes.

And there’s millions out there who have had direct experiences with their gods too, outside of Christianity. There’s just too many religions out there for my taste and they can not all be right. So my mind says they are either all correct somehow or none are correct.

I guess the bottom line is unless I see evidence I can believe in I remain a skeptic on whether or not any god exists.

I don’t disagree with you many people think they have some sort of evidence, and believe in their god wholeheartedly but I like a little more evidence than them.

Thanks Cog, you are one of my favorite people on here.

For the computer I currently use, I built it around just one goal, my game iRacing. Every component was selected based on the needs of that game. For example, this is an old game engine, and was built back in the days of single core processors. So I picked a processor with the highest clock speed, and just four cores.

The only deviation was that I crammed my motherboard with RAM, because back then it was relatively inexpensive.

@Cognostic Yup. I can confirm that it is cloudy, because the sky is gray and overcast. Direct evidence.

1 Like

@David_Killens I have seen gaming computers with 8 or 12TB hard drives. I cannot even imagine what I would use such a computer for, except for maybe being good at Fortnite or Apex Legends.

Good thing I don’t play any of those games…I a too old for those things, I guess. :frowning_face: