State-funded religious schools--can it get any worse?

In Oklahoma, the state is funding a religious school (Catholic), which states flatly that it will strictly follow the Catholic agenda.

What are your thoughts?

Under normal circumstances a federal court would put an end to this 1st amendment violation, but these days it’ll get appealed to the Supreme Court where the six conservative Catholic justices will say it’s perfectly okay.

1 Like

I think the real coup d’etat would be the Satanic Temple opening a state-funded religious Satanic school in Oklahoma.

That would satisfy me to no end.

4 Likes

The RCC has accepted the fact of species evolution long ago, so is this a local brand of creationism idiocy they’re trying to foist onto children?

Beyond that it’s unconstitutional, so will there be legal ramifications?

"The approval of any publicly funded religious school is contrary to Oklahoma law and not in the best interest of taxpayers. It’s extremely disappointing that board members violated their oath in order to fund religious schools with our tax dollars. In doing so, these members have exposed themselves and the State to potential legal action that could be costly.”
—Gentner Drummond, Oklahoma’s attorney general, who deemed the approval unconstitutional. The charter school board members have repeatedly emphasized that they voted not on the constitutionality of such a school but only on whether the application met the board’s standards."

1 Like

I don’t know what to think anymore.

I am really, really feeling any patriotism that I have toward my country slowly draining away.

Why do you have patriotism in the first place?

Couldn’t patriotism, be considered another form of indoctrination?

I’ve not agreed with my nations politics for as long as I’ve looked at politics.

In fact, I can’t think of a single nation on earth, nor politician that I could ever consider agreeable.

This is one of the major reasons I avoid the topic, as I never get anything positive from it.

Are we living on a prison planet?

1 Like

If they’re going to allow the churches to be in public schools and influence politics, I think the churches over in Oklahoma should start paying taxes then.

1 Like

In some places around the country, churches use public school premises on Sunday for church services. This is very advantageous for these churches because they don’t have to build anything and the school district usually charges them only a very nominal rate for using the buildings and throws in janitorial services, electricity, etc.

1 Like

Remember a few posts back when I joked about State-funded Satanic schools? Please see below:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/reading-math-hindu-scripture-baphomet-140046726.html

I really, really hope Oklahoma has to fund a Satanic private school.

3 Likes

I think parochial schools have been around for a long time as far as I can remember, but I’m of the opinion as long as they can adequately teach proper education such as reading and writing and arithmetic, and maintaining high educational scores, the religious aspect would be secondary as long as it just doesn’t interfere with those who do not ascribe to such beliefs and doctrines.

2 Likes

Well, why do you think these schools even exist? It is because they want to ‘educate’ children in religion. Religion is not secondary. And, actually, publicly funding them does indeed interfere with me. It takes tax dollars (in part paid by me) away from the public and privatizes them. T

1 Like

I guess I would have to first look through the history of religious education that has been integrated with general charter based education, and when tax dollars were first initiated through a voucher system to support these religious themed schools in order to answer that question.

I do see what you’re trying to get at since separation of church and state is a primary focus. The endevor to keep the nation unbiased and neutral in that regard should stay on people’s minds for clear reasons to keep religious influences from affecting others in negitive ways.

1 Like

My 3 sisters and I all went to Parochial schools when we were kids. The education we got was definitely better than the local public schools. I left that system after 9 years and finished in a public high school around the corner from our house.
The english, math, and science classes there were almost 2 years behind the private schools. Finishing school there was a piece of cake because I had already been taught what they were teaching there in those subjects.
My sisters all went to private school for 12 years, but after 9 years of that crap, I couldn’t deal with it any more.
The religion aspect had no affect on my beliefs.