SN1987A And Trigonometry

Google Docs time again! This time, how applying trigonometry to the data from the supernova remnant SN1987A destroys several creationist canards at once. More here:

Once again, enjoy!

5 Likes

Trigonometry is a liberal myth, created to fool people into believing they can think about more than one dimension at a time.[satire]

4 Likes

I haven’t seen anyone actually peddle that assertion, but I’ve encountered individuals who might be stupid enough to believe it … :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What the hell??? Trig is a myth??? :astonished: Then why did I spend so much time in high school calculating all those angles and side lengths. And somebody PLEASE explain to me how that myth allows me to consistently and accurately determine how long to cut a board or pipe during one of my construction projects. Even better, explain how that Satanic devil math allows me to determine the maximum impact spot of a large tree I have to cut down. You mean that all these years I have been fooled into doing The Devil’s Work? Noooooo!!! :weary: Y’all pray for me, please. :pray:

3 Likes

Wait…are you telling me that it was some myth that allowed me to believe I had actually calculated the instantaneous voltage in an oscillator circuit at a specific point in a 467MHZ cycle? WTF? I swear, you godless heathens just want to create chaos…
@Tin-Man I will pray for you, but I really need to know to whom I should pray… Matsheshkapeu perhaps?

Edit to do some ‘cypherin’

2 Likes

Well, not really sure, to be honest. :thinking: Uh, is there a math god/goddess out there sonewhere? I suppose that would be a good starting place.

1 Like

Hmmm, well (scratching head) it occurs to me that in your old bible, in Genesis 1:28 Yweh says “Be fruitful and *MULTIPLY *”

In Luke 12:51 Jesus says Do you think that I came to give peace on earth? **I tell you, not at all, but rather DIVISION.

And in Deuteronomy 4:2 - “You shall not ADD to the word which I am commanding you, nor TAKE AWAY from it”

Sooo…I don’t know (stroking chin)
maybe… Mxyzptlk ??
Edit to cube my root

2 Likes

“The love of money is the square root of all evil”

• Jesus
1 Like

ha ha ha ha ha … Who you kidding? We all saw pictures of the swing set. Okay, the wife’s shrine was pretty cool. But that could have just been luck. Noah built a boat. You done anything like Noah?

1 Like

Okay, okay! Fine! I admit that I got lucky on both of those. There! Happy now? :triumph: But that mystic math shit can be really HARD. Sign here. Co-sign there. Then just when you think all is well, everything goes off on a tangent. Worse than trying to close on buying a new house. :confounded: That’s why I just use a piece a string and a couple of push-pins.

(Edit to wonder how/why the sea is square.)

1 Like

String and push pins? I bet that’s better than lining up banana peels.

2 Likes

Trigonometry (and the Pythagorean Theorem) was relevant in my EMS career, as it helps us calculate problems having to do with ladders leaning against walls (in rescue operations, for example), and other issues having to do with stabilizing wreck cars, as well as calculations about rope requirements in rappelling. These are practical, everyday, life-and-death issues that are resolved by trigonometry.

The Creationists would have use trig when it’s convienient . . . yet disregard it when it tells us details (about SN1987A, for example) which conflict with their world view.

1 Like

Money doesn’t make you happy, it just buys you stuff. Now it’s the stuff that makes you happy. :wink:

1 Like

Actually, I would argue it is using the stuff that potentially can make you happy. Whether it is a piece of clothing, a bottle of good wine, a dildo, or a car of your choosing. And by “using” i mean all sorts of use, from collecting or displaying the stuff in your home, to actually using it for intended or unintended purposes.

3 Likes

LOL: Stuff doesn’t make you happy, it just gives you more shit to worry about. You are either going to be happy or not.

I suppose there are two ways to be happy in life. The first would be to get everything you wanted, whenever you wanted it. The second would be to want for nothing and yet appreciate all you have.

3 Likes

Well I was of course attempting levity, by rewording a well known platitude, it seems I’m losing my touch. However FWIW and it’s only my opinion, I’d shoot for contentment rather than happiness, and just welcome happiness as a transitory state, though I’d agree we can strive to be happy / content more often when doing mundane things. I’d certainly think more people would benefit if we wanted less. The planet would probably be better off as well.

3 Likes

No, this is my second foot in mouth. Tin just nailed me on the same thing. I only responded because it happens to be a core belief of my own. Happiness comes from within. I grew up poor, on state aid, in Balboa, California. Home of the rich and famous. This is Orange County, popularly known as ‘Behind the Orange Curtain.’ A wealthy and influential part of REPUBLICAN California. (Now you know why I am so fucked up and opposed to many some liberal ideas. -Men in women’s sports, for example.- Don’t get me started on pronouns. (LOL - whose button did I just push?))
Anyway, I knew a heafty load of very rich people who were very unhappy.

4 Likes

1 Like

Overall, I think money frequently buys happiness but it cannot prevent those feelings we would rather not endure. I also think money is not the only coinage we use.

1 Like

Entertaining this derail for a moment … I’m reminded of a version of the adage:

“Money can’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you a lot of relief from misery” :slight_smile:

3 Likes