Secular Spirituality

I got an E-mail from the “Secular Community.” I have no idea who these people are but this is about the 4th really STUPID e-mail I have received from them.

"People often think of being spiritual as synonymous with being religious. But that is not the case. "

So, I went to DICTIONARY.COM
adjective

1. of or relating to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.

not pertaining to or connected with religion (opposed to [sacred](https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sacred)): secular music.

(of education, a school, etc.) concerned with nonreligious subjects.

(of members of the clergy) not belonging to a religious order; not bound by monastic vows (opposed to regular).

So, what in the fuck am I missing? Never mind that the word “Spirit” has no meaning behind it whatsoever. Unless we count defining one abstraction with another abstraction as adequate. Or … Just use the word to define itself.

Spiritual:

1. of, relating to, or consisting of spirit;
  2. incorporeal, of or relating to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature: a spiritual approach to life.

OH FUCK ME… so I sent them a little note.

I suppose I should unsubscribe; however, it would be so much better if they just kicked me out. FUCKING IDIOTS!

2 Likes

Trying to re-define “spiritual” on their terms is like when religious folk spew “atheism is a religion”.

IMO it does NOT work. Anyone with any religious background understands what is meant by the word “spiritual”.

They just need to use the right word that describes:
instinctive or intuitive feeling as distinguished from reasoning or knowledge
a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one’s circumstances, mood, or relationships with others

This word is EMOTION

2 Likes

“Spiritual,” in my observation, can also refer to the supernatural, or somehow interacting with or “experiencing” a supernatural plane or state.

Which moves it even further away from use by atheists, who tend to be not good at believing that things exist for which there is no evidence, in my experience.

1 Like

I’m with @Bluedoc & @Whitefire13 no point in trying to redefine it.

I need objective evidence for spirits or souls or whatever the fuck they are supposed to be. I’ll invoke Hitchens Razor on this one and dismiss it.

I agree with you 100%. Like the Eskimo who has hundreds of words for snow, my vocabulary is a bit more verbose in this one area… so ‘emotion’ = ‘Subjective Brain States leading to a Peak Experiences’ Which was my way of phrasing the exact same thing in realm of an actual scientific paradigm. I’m hoping they reply. I even went back and removed the words “fucking idiot who wrote the post.” and “ignorant fucking editor who approved this shit in a secular email.” Ha ha ha ha … Still it had the tone of the little monkey you know and love.

I joined this 'Secular News Letter" some time ago and I don’t think they have sent me a news letter that I agree with yet. … Imagine the other e-mails they have recieved from me. This was not the first. I just posted this one for fun. I have to have something to do in the evenings. I don’t watch TV much.

1 Like

SECULAR SPIRITUALITY

secular
adjective

1. Worldly rather than spiritual.
  2. Not relating to religion or to a religious body; nonreligious.

Hmmmm… :thinking: In that case…

Arid Humidity
Valuable Insignificance
Randomly Predictable
Frigid Warmth
Infinitely Limited
Detained Freedom
Enclosed Vastness
Frenzied Calm
Knowledgeable Ignorance
Wealthy Destitution
Shallow Abyss
Stealthy Clamor
Maliciously Benign
Positive Negativity
Ascending Decline
Dependable Liability
(And the list goes on and on…)

2 Likes

So I got a reply today.

If you want to be removed from the email list, please click on ‘Unsubscribe here’ at the bottom of the newsletter. (*Copy of my response.) Thank you for your contribution.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha … Someone must have been tied to the table with ropes and forced to push the send button.

Could you do this again, except the first letters spell out “Atheist Republic”? :turtle: