Religious terrorism in U.S.A

What a symbol represents has nothing to do with the topology of the symbol.

1 Like

I thought I was addressing topology, left facing vs right facing. Similar to a cross, and an upside down cross. Topology changes meaning. Did I miss something?

1 Like

That suggests we are speaking about very different things.

2 Likes

I have only been talking about a simple shape that polarizes people (sometimes violently) depending upon context and the circumstances.

I thought the discussion is relevant to the wedding cake issue, and I did not mean to create any acrimony.

In this place… We live and breathe acrimony. And then, we get over it, make amends and move on. If we all agreed with each other all the time, we would all be unnecessary.

3 Likes

I agree. I like to explore controversy, but I don’t want to stir up any hard feelings.

You can’t stir up hard feelings. Our hard feelings, when we have them, are our own. I have never held animosity towards anyone on the site and I have not felt if coming from anyone, regardless of disagreements. In short… ‘Sorry, but you are not that powerful.’

3 Likes

Thank you. I am socially inept, and I do tend to drive people away without intending to.

LOL. Join the club. I’m no longer socially inept but it took years of practice. Now I know how to keep my mouth shut at social gatherings. LOL Learning how to listen is every bit as much fun as talking.

1 Like

I was only talking about the details of the geometric shape. Cognostic is talking about something much more complicated I think.

1 Like

Those two swastikas are topologically equivalent. You can subject one to continuous deformation to form the other, without adding/subtracting holes or tearing pieces off. See the famous “coffee cup to doughnut and back again” example to see topological equivalence in action.

1 Like

So did the Nazis know of the other meanings or did they just ‘make up’ a geometric form?

1 Like

I don’t know the details, but the swastika was a symbol used by the ancient Aryan people of Iran and India. I believe that it probably dates from the Ice Age, as it seems to have traveled across Beringea when the Paleoindians colonized North America, as the swastika is common among many Native American tribes.

Here’s an explanation how the nazi party ended up using the swastika.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this.