Quora: What is the most disturbing thing in the Bible that you have found as an atheist?

Discussion: I’ll go first.

It wasn’t the most disturbing, but it ranks up there: The fact that there are 2 stories about creation - and they disagree. You’d think that the first guy to assemble these stories together would have corrected one of the versions so it is at least compatible with the other.

Nope!

It’s like each story had its advocates and “The Committee” decided to leave both of the stories unaltered in order to satisfy both groups! When I encountered that, it just disturbed the heck out of me. How could anyone believe the rest of the book if this part is wrong?

And then the internet came along and someone listed all the incompatibilities. I have forgotten how many were listed. (OK, just did a quick search and someone says there are over 700!) Unbelievable!!

1 Like

The guy who handed over his daughters, instead of the guests, to be raped by the men in the village who wanted to “know” the guests. I had taken it upon myself to read the entire bible. Start to finish. I couldn’t get through the Old Testament without feeling serious cognitive dissonance. I continued, though. It didn’t get any better. Bashing babies against rocks, wiping out an entire ethnic group because they didn’t believe the same things the israelites believed, murder by bear, the abject cruelty and slaughter of children and women, the slavery, kicking out your slaves and the children you had with them into the wilderness, just because your wife was jealous. All of that and more. The New Testament is not much better.

My grandmother, my rock of gibralter, right after my mother, used to tell me that the Old Testament god was a child: petty, jealous, mean, selfish and self-centered. The New Testament god was a grown up: empathetic, loving, etc., and sometimes, grown ups had to make hard choices when it came to survival. My grandma is catholic. She sees the bible’s Old Testament largely as metaphor, not a literal historical set of documents. To her, it’s a general overview of how brutal it was for humans to live, and what they had to do to survive. The New Testament is closer to us in time and she believes the dichotomies of differences are explained by the telephone game. Mostly the same, but with some differences she can live with because overall it’s, as I said, the same. She doesn’t believe in most of the miracles and fantasies that are in there. She’s more of a realist than that. Although, and she says this all the time, it’s a bit of fabrication by the church to enhance the wondrousness of god and christ.

I really, really wanted to see it her way. But it ended up with me rejecting the entirety of my faith and the whole enchilada propounded by the bible. I saw it as a manifesto of a group that had, temporarily, come out the winner in the battle of the fittest. Justification for why they were the only ones who could live and prosper in a certain area, and why no one else was allowed to do the same. You know, live and let live.

I don’t see the bible as any different than the fairy tales of Hans Christian Anderson, or the Brothers’ Grimm. If I don’t believe in fairies, elves, unicorns, dragons, etc, then why would I believe in the supernatural elements of the bible? It’s not real. None of it. If it was real, why can’t archaeologists (and I am NOT including “biblical archaeologists” or, worse, Ron Wyatt-ites) find any evidence? Because it was never real. I can go on to include the repackaging of more ancient civilisations lore and the blatant plagiarism of entire canons of Sumerian/Akkadian mythology. But I will leave it at that.

I don’t see how anyone who honestly deep dives into the question: “What do I REALLY believe?” Can come out the other end of that tunnel and reject every other circumstance as false, and only one circumstance as “truth” when all of it is exactly the same.

ps: My epiphany happened when the Hubble pictures were published. Although I was already on the track to losing my religion, the images clinched it for me.

pss: I guess I didn’t really follow the instructions. I read the bible and ended up an atheist. But it is not any less disturbing reading the bible as an atheist, than it was as a believer. Disgusting is the milder of my reactions.

pss: I promise I won’t edit again after this one. I stated I had an epiphany when Hubble’s images were published. That’s only partially true. A segment of Scientific American (PBS), about the “God Helmet” was the real clincher. If anyone is interested, I posted a long list of links regarding the device and the scientist who devised the contraption somewhere in the forum. Easily googled and also on wiki.

1 Like

Gen. 1. [1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth . [2] And the earth was without form.

Look ma… I painted a banana.

That’s not a banana, it has no form,

Yeah, but it will someday.

God was a fuck up from the very first day.

The whole world wide flood myth, everyone on the planet dies with the exception of Noah and his family. That’s really fucked up, god gets to have a temper tantrum. Right.

1 Like

All the murder. The god in those stories is horrific.

3 Likes

A king says something to friends that hurts god’s feelings. The king has an infant child. God makes the TOTALLY INNOCENT infant child deathly ill to punish the king. Allows the infant child to suffer horribly for several days just to make the king beg and plead for god to spare the child. God’s like, “Nope. Fuck you. Next time don’t say bad things about me.” Then god finally lets the infant child die. All-knowing, all-powerful, all-loving god, huh? Yeah, right. My ass!

Oh, and it should be noted that I had never heard of this part of the bible (at least not that I can remember) until AFTER I escaped my religious indoctrination.

Then there is the story of Job. Pretty sure I don’t have to explain that one to anybody here. Even as a little kid way back when, that story NEVER made sense to me. It puzzled me even more as to how ANYBODY could ever think that was an “inspirational” story.

3 Likes

I am God, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of a life of slavery. (Never mind that we know for a fact Egypt did not have masses of Jewish slaves at the time. During first Century there was an active Jewish temple, one of the major Egyptian leaders was a Jewish General,

( Tiberius Julius Alexander (fl. 1st century) was an equestrian governor and general in the Roman Empire. Born into a wealthy Jewish family of Alexandria but abandoning or neglecting the Jewish religion, he rose to become the 2nd procurator ancient_Rome of Judea Roman_provincd. (c. 46 – 48) under Claudius (Claudius - Wikipedia)

He battled the Jews of Alexandria and became one of the most prominent Jewish Generals in history. Jews held many official positions in the Egyptian government and military. (So much for the Exodus). But that is not where I am going…

There is so much wrong with the bible that I forgot what point I was making. I had a second half to the statement above that was the main point but after justifying my position on the first point, I have forgotten the second. If we laid out all the pages of the bible and then tossed a rock blindly onto the pages, we would hit a contradiction.

1 Like

Sodom and Gomorrah compares to Gibeah, but Gibeah in Judges 19 is much worse.

There is an attempt of a woman to escape her husband, running to her father’s house-
The husband, a priest-
retrieves his wife from the father’s house-
they travel back home and end up in Gibeah, where they are taken in-
the townfolk want to rape the visiting priest-
the good host offers up his own wife-
the priest offers up his own wife-
the townfolk accept the wife -
all night **** occurs, and the wife crawls back to the doorstop-
priest wakes up to retrieve his wife and carry on with his journey (no problem)-
priest discovers his wife is dead-
chops up his wife’s body-
sends a part to each of the twelve tribes-
the 12 tribes convene, tell Benjamin to give up the men of Gibeah, Benjamin says no-
Israel fights Benjamin and is cut down-
Israel prays to YHWH, with the ark and everything, YHWH sends up Judah, which is massively defeated!-
Finally Benjamin is defeated through trickery, much as Jesus Nun at Ai, so that only 600 Benjamites remain-
Israel convenes and decides Benjamin must live, so they attack another tribe and destroy it, taking 400 young women (?!) for the Benjamites-
The women end up in Shiloh for some reason, when they go out to the fields for a festival they are abducted by the Benjamite men!!
That is a lot crazy…

1 Like

I find a lot wrong with the bible. What I have concluded about the God character, is that he murders anyone who doesn’t worship or is up to his standards.

The most “screwed” up part of the bible is when God makes a bet with Lucifer to go out and ruin a man’s life by murdering his family and making him lose his wealth. A lot of Christians assert Lucifer can’t enter Heaven after Revelations. But the book of Job seems to prove that assertion wrong when Lucifer walks into Heaven and asks God to bet on this man’s life.

Even more screwed up that Lucifer is actually a servant of God and Christians deny that too. Anything bad that happens, God is also responsible for. He’s responsible for everything. He proclaims in this scripture that he’s basically a puppet master. Which leads one to conclude that not only did God create Lucifer, but he’s also responsible for making him the big bad.

1 Like

I don’t know, It was pretty fucked up murdering every first-born son in Egypt. "Exodus 12:23 says, “For the Lord will pass through the land to strike down the Egyptians. But when he sees the blood on the top and sides of the doorframe, the Lord will pass over your home…” (Think of all the poor sheep that had to die so the people could have enough blood to paint their doorframes.)

2 Likes

And the Christians are okay with their god murdering little children but they want to complain about abortion?

facepalm

4 Likes

I found the idea that Lot preferred his daughters to get gang-raped by a mob to “protect” the strangers in his house to be pretty awful.

2 Likes

The bible is a fucked up collection of fictional stories.

1 Like

Definitely a servant. There is an article on Academia that looks at the Persian postal service as a secret service type of organization that inspires the idea of The Accuser, or Ha Satan.
This is seems to be the purpose of The Accuser in Zechariah 3. The Accuser there is actually not saying anything incorrect. Presumably he is simply stating how Judah turned its back on Jehovah. Still, the Accuser is rebuked (despite speaking simply the truth) and Jesus (Joshua) son of Jehozadak is promoted above his peers. Satan is often telling the truth. It is just that we humans need the charges dropped!

1 Like