Priest and the seal of confession

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ROFLMAO … I should probably be in tears over the utter and complete ignorance of some people. This is the 21st century after all.
We have computers and access to real information.

I am going to hold susanh’s feet to the fire on this statement, either retract it or be labelled a liar. Unless of course, susanh can actually produce a genuine statement by genuine scientist on this assertion.

Within her circle of theist friends, they may just accept without verification, and actually believe this. But with many atheists, stating “I heard it from someone” carry zero weight. Verification, papers, references, that isn’t the theist way.

@David_Killens But you have to believe! You just have to have faith! LMAO! :rofl: :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From my days as a theist I recall sitting quietly in the pews listening to the authority on a podium issuing commands and “information”. No one challenged, there was no discussion, and very few actually read the bible in it’s entirety with a critical eye.

The new testament rationalized and encouraged ignorance and faith with the infamous Doubting Thomas passages

John 20
“blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”

@David_Killens Here…let me translate that in easier terms:

“Blessed are those, who blindly believe what they are told, without verifying whether it is true or not”

There…sounds MUCH better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I can still remember asking about some the theological question which confused me. I would have been 13-14. The brother explained “'oh, that’s a mystery of faith, we just believe it”. That shut me up for a couple of years.

At 16, my entire class were bullied by my school into going on weekend retreat at a local monastery.

I asked one of the priests about some of my concerns, such as the trinity and the problem of evil. . He showed me their library and told me to help myself. So I did that. As luck would have it, I found Thomas Aquinas. All I took away from reading him, the great intellect of Catholic thought, was about doctrine. viz " You believe all of it or you believe none of it" So I decided I had to accept all of it.

By stomping on any doubts, I managed to remain a practising Catholic for another four years. Then I was conscripted and that was the end of that. Took me another 20 years before I realised I was actually an atheist.

1 Like

So much similarities.

I remember sitting in the Kingdom Hall and reading the partially quoted scriptures to back the argument and wondering “why don’t they quote the whole scripture”.

Basically came down to the same …accept all or you’re “out”.

Took me to 30 to be “out” (handle it…disfellowshipping)
AND the question posed here to realize that “yes” I do identify as an atheist.

Reading your description of the process; it sounds like a highly specialized form of apologetics. I mean instead of lying for Christianity in general, they are lying for Kingdom Hall (or the Watchtower society; I’ve never been 100% sure what to call it).

Lol. I can’t write my response.

As a mod, I’d have to flag and discipline myself. :triumph:

@Whitefire13 FLAGELLATE THYSELF!!! :rofl: :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh indeed. May I watch? :innocent:

1 Like

Most definitely you can watch @Whitefire13 flog herself. I could say more, but I don’t want to get in trouble for being sexist or anything. LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m sure it’s a trap and anyone who shows up to watch is going to get nailed to a cross . :slight_smile:

That sounds about right. Either that or one will be thrashed about the left ear with a maggoty possum :innocent:

@boomer47 Ok…umm…eww gross. So much for visiting Australia. LMAO! :rofl: :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

–And you live where?

Always remember that stone houses shouldn’t throw glass stones.

Stones are best thrown from within glass houses.

1 Like

@boomer47 I would rather throw both pair of shoes, like they did in Iraq. :rofl: :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The dopey Americans didn’t understand the depth of the insult.

1 Like