Praise the Lord, I don't want to be vaccinated? WTF?

It seems to me that there is a fundamental difference between people spewing anti vacs nonsense and people promoting ridiculous stuff like flat earth or young earth. Buying into anti vacs rhetoric can flat out kill you.

2 Likes

That is true. However, getting the population at large used to there being oodles of conspiracy theories about anything and everything will slowly break down or reduce the fundamental fabric of trust in medical and scientific expertise that is there, and will make the threshold for believing the next wave of misinformation campaigns that is bound to come from the conspiraturds easier to believe. Then rinse and repeat. In short, all sorts of ridiculous conspiracy shit that gets above a certain level of exposure is toxic for society.

1 Like

Yup. And the results have been incredibly expensive…between Ninjas 🥷 (biased tRump supporters) doing a 3rd audit and costing $$$ and voting machines to overwhelmed healthcare systems and citizen deaths. Laws to curb portions of the voter population and laws to curb women’s reproductive health rights… to have some move violently against a democratic process (storm the Capitol) and then feel patriotic demonstrates the level of propaganda (yes political systems outside the USA do subvert for many reasons)

Anyway. It is toxic. Like the middle-ages of religious control, that needed to be dethroned, the conspiraturds need some dethroning…(that is if you believe there was a middle-age :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Not to mention killing others, through their ignorance and stupidity.

1 Like

And to bring it full circle:

A federal appeals court rules that hospital employee vaccine requirements in New York state are superseded by the opinions of peoples imaginary friends (must “temporarily” allow religious exemptions). :woozy_face:

I got a conspiracy theory for the tinfoil hatters:
It seems modern society has been almost specifically designed to not be able to effectively deal with pandemics.

2 Likes

…when I followed my imaginary friend, my decisions effected me only. My refusal for blood :drop_of_blood: would have killed me only (and freed a bed early) - not passed the “no blood” along (insisted on others refusing it) NOR took a bed for 2 weeks in ICU (as a rule)…

When superstitious belief effects others in society physically - they better have a fuck lot more than “belief”…

When I followed my imaginary friend, I would have cursed you all to hell for you heathen ways, You would burn in the pits and suffer eternal damnations. I would dance on your fucking graves and spend my days in bliss, sucking on the dick of my favorite savior. I’m so happy to be normal now!

Can anyone kick that rolling pin a bit higher up so I can get a better grip on it?

1 Like

I’m sure the agile Whitefire will be along to give it a swift kick, and proving once and for all that atheist can be as altruistic as any christian :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

I’ve been autistic my whole live. Screw the Christians.

1 Like

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. IF human rights can be “set aside” for theology - choice… THEN
Businesses and government can mandate societal health needs - choice…

AFTER all, it’s not like the un-vaxed can’t access groceries, healthcare, and other venues that are vital - or “work” (I’d have to learn French to get a federal job)…they have to adjust to their “choice” and society not wanting them spreading the virus :microbe: without reducing risk.

1 Like

One of the best(and simplest) arguments I’ve heard in favor of the vaccine is this: If the vaccine is dangerous, they would have given it to the poor first and not the billionaires. Obviously, that’s not what happened.

If every doctor, nurse and medical professional is telling you to get vaccinated, you should probably get vaccinated and not get your medical advice from radio talk show hosts or washed up, idiotic reality show hosts.

Kenneth Copeland and his ilk are so disgusting that it sickens me to the very core of my being that people will trust the likes of him and their obscenely rich mega-churches and just deny the hell out of science, despite how much it hurts the human race as a whole.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Well a better indicator is surely the hundreds of millions of perfectly healthy people like myself who’ve had a double dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Like those scaremongering morons, who insisted mobile phones cause cancer, and failed to notice there was no significant increase in cancer rates, despite the entire planet suddenly owning and using mobile phones.

Correlation is not causation.

I do wish schools would drum that into children from an early age. Understanding that simple fact, would kill off most conspiraloon theories on it’s own.

That’s before we ask the rather obvious question, cui bono?

Not an easy question to answer I’d have thought, as global stock markets and economies struggled during essential lockdowns, how the fuck would mass poisonings benefit those governments exactly?

Sadly…People is dumb.

2 Likes

Yet… There is such a thing as a “High Correlation.” 90% of all cigarette smokers do not contract cancers. Of the 10% that do, smoking is not the only causal factor. Yet, I think it is something like 83% I don’t recall the statistics exactly, cigarettes are present in cases of lung and lip cancer. (I just looked it up, to be more accurate… the source said 80% to 90%)

So while there is a high correlation, there is not a ‘1 to 1’ causal factor. “If you smoke, you will get lung cancer.” This is a blatant lie. Even making the assertion, “Cigarette smoking ‘causes’ lung cancer, is a bit of a stretch.” It is not the only causal factor. Top that with the fact that a whole lot of other things cause cancer.

Alcohol is a known carcinogen . This means that alcohol causes cancer. There is strong evidence that drinking alcohol increases people’s risk of cancers of the female breast, liver, mouth, throat (pharynx and larynx), esophagus and bowel. Heavy drinking may also increase people’s risk of stomach cancer. Even cooking meat at a high temperature on a back yard BBQ is cancerous. Fermented vegetables like I eat in here in Korea are cancerous. Then there are all the chemicals we are simply exposed to daily…

It’s interesting to me how cigarettes got pulled out of the heap as being particularly dangerous. I think it was the whiny ‘second hand smoke’ bullshit. Okay, I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to smell or be around a smoker’s filthy smoking cigarette. I admit that you have a reasonable expectation to avoid such smells and cigarette smokers should be more polite. I am vehemently opposed to government intervention.

In general, the American Cancer Society does not determine if something causes cancer (that is, if it is a carcinogen). Instead, we rely on the determinations of other respected agencies, such as the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and the US National Toxicology Program (NTP).

The lists below are from IARC and NTP, and more information on each of these known and probable human carcinogens can be found on their websites.

To learn more about these agencies and how they study and classify cancer causes, see Determining if Something Is a Carcinogen.

What you should know

• The IARC and NTP act independently. Many known or suspected carcinogens appear on both organization’s lists; however, if a substance or exposure is only on one agency’s list, this it does not necessarily mean there is a controversy, as one agency may not have evaluated it.
  • These lists are alphabetical, but many of the substances and exposures here can go by different names. This can make it hard to find a particular substance on one or both of these lists.
  • These lists include only those agents that have been evaluated by the agencies. These agencies tend to focus on substances and exposures most likely to cause cancer, but there are many others that have not been fully studied yet.
  • These lists include agents that have been classified as known and probable human carcinogens. The lists do not include substances that have been classified as possible carcinogens, for which the evidence is not as strong. These lists also do not include substances evaluated as “not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity in humans.”
  • Most of the agents on the lists have been linked only with certain kinds of cancer, not all cancer types. See each agency’s website for more details about the substances and exposures on their lists.
  • The lists describe the level of evidence that something can cause cancer, not how likely it is that something will cause cancer in any person (or how much it might raise your risk). For example, IARC considers there to be strong evidence that both tobacco smoking and eating processed meat can cause cancer, so both are listed as “carcinogenic to humans.” But smoking is much more likely to cause cancer than eating processed meat, even though both are in the same category.
  • Carcinogens do not cause cancer at all times, under all circumstances. In other words, a carcinogen does not always cause cancer in every person, every time there is any kind of exposure. Some may only be carcinogenic if a person is exposed in a certain way (for example, swallowing it as opposed to touching it). Some may only cause cancer in people who have a certain genetic makeup. Some of these agents may lead to cancer after only a very small exposure, while others might require intense exposure over many years. Again, refer to the agencies’ reports for specifics.
  • Even if a substance or exposure is known or suspected to cause cancer, this does not necessarily mean that it can or should be avoided at all costs. For example, sunlight is a major source of ultraviolet (UV) rays, which are a known cause of skin cancer, but it’s not practical (or advisable) to completely avoid the sun. (See How to Interpret News About Cancer Causes for more about this.)
  • These lists also include many commonly used medicines, particularly some hormones and drugs used to treat cancer. For example, tamoxifen increases the risk of certain kinds of uterine cancer, but it can be very useful in treating some breast cancers, which may be more important for some women. If you have questions about a medicine that appears on one of these lists, be sure to ask your doctor.

Known human carcinogens

International Agency for Research on Cancer

Group 1: Carcinogenic to humans

Learn more about the topics in this list in the IARC monographs at Publications – IARC Monographs on the Identification of Carcinogenic Hazards to Humans .

• Acetaldehyde (from consuming alcoholic beverages)
  • Acheson process, occupational exposure associated with
  • Acid mists, strong inorganic
  • Aflatoxins
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Aluminum production
  • 4-Aminobiphenyl
  • Areca nut
  • Aristolochic acid (and plants containing it)
  • Arsenic and inorganic arsenic compounds
  • Asbestos (all forms) and mineral substances (such as talc or vermiculite) that contain asbestos
  • Auramine production
  • Azathioprine
  • Benzene
  • Benzidine and dyes metabolized to benzidine
  • Benzo[a]pyrene
  • Beryllium and beryllium compounds
  • Betel quid, with or without tobacco
  • Bis(chloromethyl)ether and chloromethyl methyl ether (technical-grade)
  • Busulfan
  • 1,3-Butadiene
  • Cadmium and cadmium compounds
  • Chlorambucil
  • Chlornaphazine
  • Chromium (VI) compounds
  • Clonorchis sinensis (infection with), also known as the Chinese liver fluke
  • Coal, indoor emissions from household combustion
  • Coal gasification
  • Coal-tar distillation
  • Coal-tar pitch
  • Coke production
  • Cyclophosphamide
  • Cyclosporine (ciclosporin)
  • 1,2-Dichloropropane
  • Diethylstilbestrol (DES)
  • Engine exhaust, diesel
  • Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) (infection with)
  • Erionite
  • Estrogen-only menopausal therapy
  • Estrogen-progestogen menopausal therapy (combined)
  • Estrogen-progestogen oral contraceptives (combined) (Note: There is also convincing evidence in humans that these agents confer a protective effect against cancer in the endometrium and ovary)
  • Ethanol in alcoholic beverages
  • Ethylene oxide
  • Etoposide
  • Etoposide in combination with cisplatin and bleomycin
  • Fission products, including strontium-90
  • Fluoro-edenite fibrous amphibole
  • Formaldehyde
  • Haematite mining (underground)
  • Helicobacter pylori (infection with)
  • Hepatitis B virus (chronic infection with)
  • Hepatitis C virus (chronic infection with)
  • Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) (infection with)
  • Human papilloma virus (HPV) types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59 (infection with) (Note: The HPV types that have been classified as carcinogenic to humans can differ by an order of magnitude in risk for cervical cancer)
  • Human T-cell lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-1) (infection with)
  • Ionizing radiation (all types)
  • Iron and steel founding (workplace exposure)
  • Isopropyl alcohol manufacture using strong acids
  • Kaposi sarcoma herpesvirus (KSHV), also known as human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) (infection with)
  • Leather dust
  • Lindane
  • Magenta production
  • Melphalan
  • Methoxsalen (8-methoxypsoralen) plus ultraviolet A radiation, also known as PUVA
  • Methyl-CCNU
  • 4,4’-Methylenebis(chloroaniline) (MOCA)
  • Mineral oils, untreated or mildly treated
  • MOPP and other combined chemotherapy including alkylating agents
  • 2-Naphthylamine
  • Neutron radiation
  • Nickel compounds
  • N’-Nitrosonornicotine (NNN) and 4-(N-Nitrosomethylamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK)
  • Opisthorchis viverrini (infection with), also known as the Southeast Asian liver fluke
  • Outdoor air pollution (and the particulate matter in it)
  • Painter (workplace exposure as a)
  • 3,4,5,3’,4’-Pentachlorobiphenyl (PCB-126)
  • 2,3,4,7,8-Pentachlorodibenzofuran
  • Pentachlorophenol
  • Phenacetin (and mixtures containing it)
  • Phosphorus-32, as phosphate
  • Plutonium
  • Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxin-like, with a Toxicity Equivalency Factor according to WHO (PCBs 77, 81, 105, 114, 118, 123, 126, 156, 157, 167, 169, 189)
  • Processed meat (consumption of)
  • Radioiodines, including iodine-131
  • Radionuclides, alpha-particle-emitting, internally deposited (Note: Specific radionuclides for which there is sufficient evidence for carcinogenicity to humans are also listed individually as Group 1 agents)
  • Radionuclides, beta-particle-emitting, internally deposited (Note: Specific radionuclides for which there is sufficient evidence for carcinogenicity to humans are also listed individually as Group 1 agents)
  • Radium-224 and its decay products
  • Radium-226 and its decay products
  • Radium-228 and its decay products
  • Radon-222 and its decay products
  • Rubber manufacturing industry
  • Salted fish (Chinese-style)
  • Schistosoma haematobium (infection with)
  • Semustine (methyl-CCNU)
  • Shale oils
  • Silica dust, crystalline, in the form of quartz or cristobalite
  • Solar radiation
  • Soot (as found in workplace exposure of chimney sweeps)
  • Sulfur mustard
  • Talc containing asbestiform fibres
  • Tamoxifen (Note: There is also conclusive evidence that tamoxifen reduces the risk of contralateral breast cancer in breast cancer patients)
  • 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-para-dioxin (TCDD); “dioxin”
  • Thiotepa
  • Thorium-232 and its decay products
  • Tobacco, smokeless
  • Tobacco smoke, secondhand
  • Tobacco smoking
  • ortho-Toluidine
  • Treosulfan
  • Trichloroethylene
  • Ultraviolet (UV) radiation, including UVA, UVB, and UVC rays
  • Ultraviolet-emitting tanning devices
  • Vinyl chloride
  • Welding fumes
  • Wood dust
  • X- and Gamma-radiation

National Toxicology Program 14th Report on Carcinogens

“Known to be human carcinogens”

Learn more about the topics in this list in the NTP’s Report on Carcinogens at https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/pubhealth/roc/index-1.html.

• Aflatoxins
  • Alcoholic beverage consumption
  • 4-Aminobiphenyl
  • Analgesic mixtures containing phenacetin
  • Aristolochic acids
  • Arsenic and inorganic arsenic compounds
  • Asbestos
  • Azathioprine
  • Benzene
  • Benzidine
  • Beryllium and beryllium compounds
  • Bis(chloromethyl) ether and technical-grade chloromethyl methyl ether
  • 1,3-Butadiene
  • 1,4-Butanediol dimethylsulfonate (also known as busulfan)
  • Cadmium and cadmium compounds
  • Chlorambucil
  • 1-(2-Chloroethyl)-3-(4-methylcyclohexyl)-1-nitrosourea (MeCCNU)
  • Chromium hexavalent compounds
  • Coal tar pitches
  • Coal tars
  • Coke oven emissions
  • Cyclophosphamide
  • Cyclosporin A
  • Diethylstilbestrol (DES)
  • Dyes metabolized to benzidine
  • Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)
  • Erionite
  • Estrogens, steroidal
  • Ethylene oxide
  • Formaldehyde
  • Hepatitis B virus
  • Hepatitis C virus
  • Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1)
  • Human papilloma viruses (HPVs): some genital-mucosal types
  • Human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1)
  • Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) (also known as human herpesvirus 8, or HHV-8)
  • Melphalan
  • Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCV)
  • Methoxsalen with ultraviolet A therapy (PUVA)
  • Mineral oils (untreated and mildly treated)
  • Mustard gas
  • 2-Naphthylamine
  • Neutrons
  • Nickel compounds
  • Radon
  • Silica, crystalline (respirable size)
  • Solar radiation
  • Soots
  • Strong inorganic acid mists containing sulfuric acid
  • Sunlamps or sunbeds, exposure to
  • Tamoxifen
  • 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD); “dioxin”
  • Thiotepa
  • Thorium dioxide
  • Tobacco smoke, environmental
  • Tobacco, smokeless
  • Tobacco smoking
  • o‑Toluidine
  • Trichloroethylene (TCE)
  • Ultraviolet (UV) radiation, broad spectrum
  • Vinyl chloride
  • Wood dust
  • X-radiation and gamma radiation

Probable carcinogens

International Agency for Research on Cancer

Group 2A: Probably carcinogenic to humans

Learn more about the topics in this list in the IARC monographs at Publications – IARC Monographs on the Identification of Carcinogenic Hazards to Humans .

• Acrylamide
  • Adriamycin (doxorubicin)
  • Androgenic (anabolic) steroids
  • Art glass, glass containers, and press ware (manufacture of)
  • Azacitidine
  • Biomass fuel (primarily wood), emissions from household combustion
  • Bitumens, occupational exposure to oxidized bitumens and their emissions during roofing
  • Bischloroethyl nitrosourea (BCNU), also known as carmustine
  • Captafol
  • Carbon electrode manufacture
  • Chloral
  • Chloral hydrate
  • Chloramphenicol
  • alpha-Chlorinated toluenes (benzal chloride, benzotrichloride, benzyl chloride) and benzoyl chloride (combined exposures)
  • 1-(2-Chloroethyl)-3-cyclohexyl-1-nitrosourea (CCNU)
  • 4-Chloro-ortho-toluidine
  • Chlorozotocin
  • Cisplatin
  • Cobalt metal with tungsten carbide
  • Creosotes
  • Cyclopenta[cd]pyrene
  • DDT (4,4’-Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane)
  • Diazinon
  • Dibenz[a,j]acridine
  • Dibenz[a,h]anthracene
  • Dibenzo[a,l]pyrene
  • Dichloromethane (methylene chloride)
  • Dieldrin, and aldrin metabolized to dieldrin
  • Diethyl sulfate
  • Dimethylcarbamoyl chloride
  • N,N-Dimethylformamide
  • 1,2-Dimethylhydrazine
  • Dimethyl sulfate
  • Epichlorohydrin
  • Ethyl carbamate (urethane)
  • Ethylene dibromide
  • N-Ethyl-N-nitrosourea
  • Frying, emissions from high-temperature
  • Glycidol
  • Glyphosate
  • Hairdresser or barber (workplace exposure as)
  • Human papillomavirus (HPV) type 68 (infection with)
  • Hydrazine
  • Indium phosphide
  • IQ (2-Amino-3-methylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoline)
  • Lead compounds, inorganic
  • Malaria (caused by infection with Plasmodium falciparum)
  • Malathion
  • 2-Mercaptobenzothiazole
  • Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCV)
  • 5-Methoxypsoralen
  • Methyl methanesulfonate
  • N-Methyl-N´-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG)
  • N-Methyl-N-nitrosourea
  • Nitrate or nitrite (ingested) under conditions that result in endogenous nitrosation
  • 6-Nitrochrysene
  • Nitrogen mustard
  • 1-Nitropyrene
  • N-Nitrosodiethylamine
  • N-Nitrosodimethylamine
  • 2-Nitrotoluene
  • Non-arsenical insecticides (workplace exposures in spraying and application of)
  • Petroleum refining (workplace exposures in)
  • Pioglitazone
  • Polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs)
  • Procarbazine hydrochloride
  • 1,3-Propane sultone
  • Red meat (consumption of)
  • Shiftwork that involves circadian disruption
  • Silicon carbide whiskers
  • Styrene
  • Styrene-7,8-oxide
  • Teniposide
  • Tetrabromobisphenol A
  • 3,3′,4,4′-Tetrachloroazobenzene
  • Tetrachloroethylene (perchloroethylene)
  • Tetrafluoroethylene
  • 1,2,3-Trichloropropane
  • Tris(2,3-dibromopropyl) phosphate
  • Very hot beverages (above 65 degrees Celsius)
  • Vinyl bromide (Note: For practical purposes, vinyl bromide should be considered to act similarly to the human carcinogen vinyl chloride.)
  • Vinyl fluoride (Note: For practical purposes, vinyl fluoride should be considered to act similarly to the human carcinogen vinyl chloride.)

National Toxicology Program 14th Report on Carcinogens

“Reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens”

Learn more about the topics in this list in the NTP’s Report on Carcinogens at https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/pubhealth/roc/index-1.html.

• Acetaldehyde

• 2-Acetylaminofluorene

• Acrylamide

• Acrylonitrile

• Adriamycin (doxorubicin hydrochloride)

• 2-Aminoanthraquinone

• o-Aminoazotoluene

• 1-Amino-2,4-dibromoanthraquinone

• 1-Amino-2-methylanthraquinone

• 2-Amino-3,4-dimethylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoline (MeIQ)

• 2-Amino-3,8-dimethylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoxaline (MeIQx)

• 2-Amino-3-methylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoline (IQ)

• 2-Amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine (PhIP)

• Amitrole

• o-Anisidine and its hydrochloride

• Azacitidine (5-Azacytidine, 5-AzaC)

• Basic Red 9 Monohydrochloride

• Benz[a]anthracene

• Benzo[b]fluoranthene

• Benzo[j]fluoranthene

• Benzo[k]fluoranthene

• Benzo[a]pyrene

• Benzotrichloride

• 2, 2-bis-(bromoethyl)-1,3-propanediol (technical grade)

• Bromodichloromethane

• 1-Bromopropane

• Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA)

• Captafol

• Carbon tetrachloride

• Ceramic fibers (respirable size)

• Chloramphenicol

• Chlorendic acid

• Chlorinated paraffins (C12, 60% chlorine)

• Chloroform

• 1-(2-chloroethyl)-3-cyclohexyl-1-nitrosourea

• Bis(chloroethyl) nitrosourea

• 3-Chloro-2-methylpropene

• 4-Chloro-o-phenylenediamine

• Chloroprene

• p-Chloro-o-toluidine and p-chloro-o-toluidine hydrochloride

• Chlorozotocin

• Cisplatin

• Cobalt and cobalt compounds that release cobalt ions in vivo

• Cobalt-tungsten carbide: powders and hard metals

• p-Cresidine

• Cumene

• Cupferron

• Dacarbazine

• Danthron (1,8-dihydroxyanthraquinone)

• 2,4-Diaminoanisole sulfate

• 2,4-Diaminotoluene

• Diazoaminobenzene

• Dibenz[a,h]acridine

• Dibenz[a,j]acridine

• Dibenz[a,h]anthracene

• 7H-Dibenzo[c,g]carbazole

• Dibenzo[a,e]pyrene

• Dibenzo[a,h]pyrene

• Dibenzo[a,i]pyrene

• Dibenzo[a,l]pyrene

• 1,2-Dibromo-3-chloropropane

• 1,2-Dibromoethane (ethylene dibromide)

• 2,3-Dibromo-1-propanol

• 1,4-Dichlorobenzene

• 3,3’-Dichlorobenzidine and 3,3’-dichlorobenzidine dihydrochloride

• Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT)

• 1,2-Dichloroethane (ethylene dichloride)

• Dichloromethane (methylene chloride)

• 1,3-Dichloropropene (technical grade)

• Diepoxybutane

• Diesel exhaust particulates

• Di(2-ethylyhexyl) phthalate

• Diethyl sulfate

• Diglycidyl resorcinol ether

• 3,3’-Dimethoxybenzidine

• 4-Dimethylaminoazobenzene

• 3,3’-Dimethylbenzidine

• Dimethylcarbamoyl chloride

• 1,1-Dimethylhydrazine

• Dimethyl sulfate

• Dimethylvinyl chloride

• 1,6-Dinitropyrene

• 1,8-Dinitropyrene

• 1,4-Dioxane

• Disperse blue 1

• Dyes metabolized to 3,3’-dimethoxybenzidine

• Dyes metabolized to 3,3’-dimethylbenzidine

• Epichlorohydrin

• Ethylene thiourea

• Ethyl methanesulfonate

• Furan

• Glass wool fibers (inhalable)

• Glycidol

• Hexachlorobenzene

• Hexachloroethane

• Hexamethylphosphoramide

• Hydrazine and hydrazine sulfate

• Hydrazobenzene

• Indeno[1,2,3-cd]pyrene

• Iron dextran complex

• Isoprene

• Kepone (chlordecone)

• Lead and lead compounds

• Lindane, hexachlorocyclohexane (technical grade), and other hexachlorocyclohexane isomers

• 2-Methylaziridine (propyleneimine)

• 5-Methylchrysene

• 4,4’-Methylenebis(2-chloroaniline)

• 4-4’-Methylenebis(N,N-dimethyl)benzenamine

• 4,4’-Methylenedianiline and its dihydrochloride salt

• Methyleugenol

• Methyl methanesulfonate

• N-methyl-N’-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine

• Metronidazole

• Michler’s ketone [4,4’-(dimethylamino) benzophenone]

• Mirex

• Naphthalene

• Nickel, metallic

• Nitrilotriacetic acid

• o-Nitroanisole

• Nitrobenzene

• 6-Nitrochrysene

• Nitrofen (2,4-dichlorophenyl-p-nitrophenyl ether)

• Nitrogen mustard hydrochloride

• Nitromethane

• 2-Nitropropane

• 1-Nitropyrene

• 4-Nitropyrene

• N-nitrosodi-n-butylamine

• N-nitrosodiethanolamine

• N-nitrosodiethylamine

• N-nitrosodimethylamine

• N-nitrosodi-n-propylamine

• N-nitroso-N-ethylurea

• 4-(N-nitrosomethylamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone

• N-nitroso-N-methylurea

• N-nitrosomethylvinylamine

• N-nitrosomorpholine

• N-nitrosonornicotine

• N-nitrosopiperidine

• N-nitrosopyrrolidine

• N-nitrososarcosine

• o-Nitrotoluene

• Norethisterone

• Ochratoxin A

• 4,4’-Oxydianiline

• Oxymetholone

• Pentachlorophenol and by-products of its synthesis

• Phenacetin

• Phenazopyridine hydrochloride

• Phenolphthalein

• Phenoxybenzamine hydrochloride

• Phenytoin and phenytoin sodium

• Polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs)

• Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)

• Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)

• Procarbazine and its hydrochloride

• Progesterone

• 1,3-Propane sultone

• beta-Propiolactone

• Propylene oxide

• Propylthiouracil

• Reserpine

• Riddelliine

• Safrole

• Selenium sulfide

• Streptozotocin

• Styrene

• Styrene-7,8-oxide

• Sulfallate

• Tetrachloroethylene (perchloroethylene)

• Tetrafluoroethylene

• Tetranitromethane

• Thioacetamide

• 4,4’-Thiodianaline

• Thiourea

• Toluene diisocyanates

• Toxaphene

• 2,4,6-Trichlorophenol

• 1,2,3-Trichloropropane

• Tris(2,3-dibromopropyl) phosphate

• Ultraviolet A (UVA) radiation

• Ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation

• Ultraviolet C (UVC) radiation

• Urethane

• Vinyl bromide

• 4-Vinyl-1-cyclohexene diepoxide

• Vinyl fluoride

• Written by

• Additional resources

• References

logo-fpo.png

The American Cancer Society medical and editorial content team

Our team is made up of doctors and oncology certified nurses with deep knowledge of cancer care as well as journalists, editors, and translators with extensive experience in medical writing.

Last Revised: August 14, 2019

American Cancer Society medical information is copyrighted material. For reprint requests, please see our Content Usage Policy.

AWWWW Face it… We are Fucked!

Your numbers may be correct; I don’t know, I haven’t looked up the numbers. And your statements may be correct in the strict sense. However, when communicating complex results to laypersons and to the general public, simplicity overrides the scientifically and statistically correct – but more complex – message. Therefore, one does not talk about the technicalities of solving the Schrödinger equation when communicating quantum mechanics breakthroughs to the public, and one does not go into the deep mathematics when explaining cryptography. Instead, the message is simplified, many times oversimplified. And in some (many) cases, the only way to get things through is to oversimplify it.

For example: After drinking alcohol, it is a dumb idea to drive a vehicle. Not because you are guaranteed to end up in an accident and kill or maim someone and/or yourself, but because the risk increases dramatically. Therefore, one hammers through the message “Driving under influence kills”. The recipient of these messages are sometimes too uninterested (or even too dumb) to comprehend or care about the message “If you drive after drinking alcohol, the probability of ending up in a fatal car accident is P percent higher, given circumstances x, y, and z”. People just don’t understand it, and will not care and will shut off if presented technically correct with statistics. Hence “Driving under influence kills” and “don’t drink and drive”. Even if the risk of an accident is not 100%. One have to sacrifice precision to the more general overall risk evaluation. KISS (Keep it simple, stupid).

In short, the general public, who is the intended receiver of messages like “smoking causes cancer”, needs to have these messages dumbed down to get them. This goes for health (eat less, get more excercise), for hygiene (wash your hands after toilet visits, before eating/preparing food), for economy (don’t live on credit), for science (cosmology, genetics, etc.), for general safety, for traffic (go with the flow, don’t be aggressive, DUI kills), for vaccines (they save lives; protect yourself and your loved ones), and for health and safety rules regarding the corona virus (take the vaccine, wash hands, mask up, social distancing).

In short-short: “Smoking kills” is not a lie, it is an adequate compromise between a 100% statistically and scientifically correct message and a general public announcement designed so people will get it.

Edit: minor cleanup.

3 Likes

Yep! and God is great because the Bible tells me so. (KISS) in action.

I wonder how many who refuse to get vaccinated because they distrust it, also take Viagra?

Yes, they are using scare mongering to distort the facts into a more emphatic message, an advert that says "smoking may increase your risk of developing certain cancers, from 1/100 to 13/100, won’t have the impact they want, but your point is well made. People prefer absolutes, quelle surprise. People is dumb, that’s why they are swayed by rhetoric, and things like negative or positive stereotypes. Such emotive absolutes are also easier to understand than stats.

When Trump describes Mexican immigrants as murderers and rapists, he is of course grossly distorting the facts, and fear mongering to appeal to the worst prejudices in people. It wouldn’t have the same impact if he pointed out that overwhelminglymost rapes are by men women know, or that he himself has been accused, and paid off accusers, of sexual misconduct by several women. Sadly I’d have little confidence that he would make a more truthful comment about criminality among immigrants, even if substituted his vapid rhetoric with statistics. As making an objectively true point had nothing to do with his motives in that instance.

Doubt half of what you see, and all of what you hear, is an old and apropos adage.

So is sunshine, and living of course, especially into old age. Again the desire to curb alcohol consumption is usually accompanied by more punchy rhetoric than… consumption may increase your risk of developing certain cancers from x to x.

I hate to be pedantic, but it means it can increase the risk of developing certain cancers. Most people who drink alcohol, like those who smoke, will not develop cancer.

Yikes, not cancerous one hopes. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Carcinogenic and cancerous are very different…

Carcinogenic means it may increase your risk of developing etc etc…

Glad to see they have solar radiation on there, or sunshine, as this underlines the point that carcinogens are not poisons we must stay away from, merely factors that can increase risk. Having the wrong parents is a pretty big risk as well.

Well of course, death is the price of admission for this ride, I try not to worry, but also not to lose sight of the ticking clock, and what it means.

EDIT.

I needed to expand on this idea, as statistics are very, or at least can be very, counter intuitive. So lets examine this in a statement I believe to be true, but that seems wrong.

If you smoke the odds are you WON’T get lung cancer.

This is true because about 10% to 15% of smokers develop cancers. Now it seems very wrong, because it seems to contradict what we know about smoking, However this is because in the general population (non smokers) the rate of developing lung cancer is under 1%. So by smoking you have drastically increased the risk you might develop cancer. So viewing stats in isolation is no different to singling out positive or negative stereotypes, and dishonestly portraying them as if they apply universally or in a generic way.

Yes burning or charring foods can make them carcinogenic, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it, or eat such foods. It means that over consumption (whatever that is) MAY increase your risk of developing certain cancers, but then without a clear view of your starting risk this isn’t telling us much. Now, I am not suggesting anyone ignore risk factors, merely that they view them as objectively as possible.

The global deaths from nuclear power station is often used to scare us into not developing such power stations, even though they are a source of virtually limitless power, with little carbon emitted. Yet the amount of deaths, even factoring in the worst and very rare disasters like Chernobyl, are infinitesimally small when compared to the deaths from coal fired powers station. Even if we had a one for one ration, you’d be far more likely to die from the effects of pollution from coal powered stations than nuclear, and again this seems counter intuitive and against what we think we know. Fear is a primal survival instinct, which is probably why it is so easy to misrepresent risks to scare people into agreeing with unevidenced or even untrue claims. Politicians have been doing this ever since there have been politicians. Rhetoric might make my teeth itch, but it is sadly a very effective way to persuade people.

3 Likes

Just another Herman Cain Award nominee. see the award winner’s hysterical histories at reddit.com/r/hermancainaward.

1 Like