"Phy6" began in year 1-6-6-6 when "NewTon" created his "New" Law of "Ton", Proof that all Phy6 is a fake

Something was “off” with this poster. Wouldn’t surprise me.

All I kept thinking was - fucking goddamn internet has replaced the traditional card-board sign 🪧

@Whitefire13 Yes indeed. 1atheist seems like he has a screw loose or perhaps he was high when he started posting.

OK, that makes you an agnostic, like the rest of the human race. No one knows if god(s) exist, but billions believe, which is not the same thing.

An atheist is simply a person who does not believe. One either believes or one does not. Not a difficult question, and there is no middle ground.

Atheism is about belief

Agnosticism is about knowledge

I read your first post. My immediate response was: “OK, so what?” and “By definition of physics” " What on earth does he think his information proves?"

I did notice what seemed to be a numerological/biblical inference. Because I don’t believe in god, I’m also unable to believe in divinely inspired writings of any kind.

I do not believe in fortune telling either, which is what numerology claims to do. Here my disbelief is for the same reason as my disbelief in god(s); a lack of empirical evidence.

I’m terribly sorry, all I see is more corkscrew logic from the lunatic fringe.

DAMN, that was hard to read through without lowering my IQ, where do these people come from?

I have no idea, and they don’t usually bother me. I tend to see them as harmless neurotics possibly suffering from one or more of a range of mental impairments… I do get bothered when they become political, because then they can be dangerous.

The best example I’ve seen lately came from watching a film, ‘21 July’. It’s about a lone domestic terrorist in Norway on 21 July 2011, Anders Behring Breivic. He killed 77 people. He is currently serving a life sentence in Norway.

All of the OP displays is how incredibly flexible the English language is and how ultra-malleable some people’s minds are.
This claxon effect does not work in French. "Physics is “la physiques”. The number 1666 is pronounced “mille six cent soixante-six”.
It doesn’t work in German either, “Physik” and "1666 is pronounced “tausendsechshundertsechsundsechzig”.
And there has always been a wee controversy over the invention of calculus, Newton (1666, but did not publish a full explanation until 1704) or Leibniz’s Year of Wonder (1684 the year he published his findings). Priority of scientific discovery was a hot topic in those days and this dispute helped to produce stricter international protocols over scientific discoveries.
I knew a guy, true story, a very peculiar guy, who continually kept changing his full name according to numerology. If after a few weeks he had not noted any change in his fortunes or luck he would calculate a new full name. I remember meeting his mother, who introduced herself as Mrs Smith and added indicating her boy, “He’s my son but I don’t know his name” She turned to him and asked, “Who the fuck are you this week?”

2 Likes

Please explain or provide links to what this “Law of the Ton” was.
Did he get hit in the head with an enromously heavy apple?
He dealt with the mathematics underpinning physics, optics and gravity. As far as I know he never worked for any Department of Weights and Measures.
Read another book…from the science section.

…added…whoa and 1Atheist is gone!
His number must have been up.
No matter, I know there is no New Law of Ton and that Isaac was never hit by an apple and 1666 was just another year in the Gregorian calendar, but was deigned a year of wonder in John Dryden’s poem Annus Mirabilis, celebrating the miracles of God in the defeat of the Dutch navy in three major sea battles, that the Great Plague didnt kill everybody and specifically the Great Fire of London as a divine opportunity to indulge in some overdue urban renewal for the filthy city.
And Dryden made no mention of Newton.

1 Like

My ex wife knew a brilliant woman, with advanced degrees. She had both feet planted firmly in the air.

She had a simple, alliterative Anglo name. She changed it, to one with mildly English pagan roots. . When my wife told me, my immediate response was " She’s being seeing a numerologist, hasn’t she"—Yup. sure had.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Yes, English is a subtle (and complex) language, but so is Greek, or so I understand. It is from Greek we get the word ‘sophistry’***. It’s the pithiest description of what’s his name’s posts which comes to mind.

*** from ‘sophistes’, meaning ‘wise man’ or ‘expert’. Not not much of a jump to ‘sophisticated’.

However,, the currently accepted meaning of “a captious and fallacious reasoner” has been around from at least the14th century as far as I can tell.

Best laugh I have had since "the Philosopher’ tried his comedy routine about righteous triangles and the perfect orbiting cup of tea.

Although hilarious this NewTon routine had neither faux intellectualism or even threadbare credibility to commend to a discerning audience, or even any audience with the combined intellect of a bowl of rice.

If you are drunk. high or both it is worth a listen, once and only once. It gets old very quickly and I would rather go to Artur’s (All You Can Fight After Two Drinks) Bar two bars down.

Certainly not worth seeing these acts on another bill, anywhere.

It’s Breivik, with a k. He is normally just referred to as “ABB” or “the terrorist” in order to avoid mentioning his name, in an attempt to reduce his post-incarceration impact, and because his name is still a sore point that relates to a highly traumatic incident. Whether it works or not is another matter.

Norway does not have life sentences per se. The longest sentence you can get is 21 years, or 30 years for crimes related to genocide, crimes against humanity or war crimes. In the case of Breivik, he got special detention with a minimum 21 years. Special detention is a sentence given when the criminal is regarded as having a high risk of recidivism or being particularly dangerous to society). With special detention, the sentence can be extended beyond the nominal length given by the court. Theoretically it can be for life, but the sentence can only be prolonged for 5 years at a time after the minimum time has expired.

Yes of course. I apologise for being so insensitive.

I was aware of the 21 year maximum, but was under the impression his sentence would simply be extended so that he will die in prison. Going by the movie, it seemed to me that he may well be psychotic. If that’s true, he would probably always be dangerous. But he’s till young, who knows what he’ll be like in say 20 years. Also according to the film, it seems Norway’s legal system places a premium on ‘fixing broken people’.

Australia’s lone domestic terrorist was a mentally deficient young man who killed 36 people and wounded 23. On 28-29 April 1996 in Port Arthur, Tasmania. He has been locked up and will die in prison.

Within weeks of that massacre, our government passed very strict gun and weapons laws. There have been no mass shootings in Australia since 1996 . Australia’s number of gun related deaths is among the lowest in the world

There’s lots of information on line if you’re interested.

1666 the “Year of Wonders”?

Well it was certainly the year when the people of London learned first-hand about the physics and chemistry of combustion. The year before that they also learned about the biology of plague.

Of course, you’ve omitted the invention for which Isaac Newton is most admired–the cat flap.

The first psychiatric evaluation of him concluded that he was criminally insane when he did it,. This, however, made little sense in many ways, especially considering the thorough preparations he had made over years. Also, a lot of people were very upset. He had a new and more thorough evaluation that concluded that he was NOT criminally insane, but that he suffered from narcissistic personality disorder, among other things.

According to what the press keeps finding out about him and the case, he keeps he has changed very little over the past ten years, and keep peddling the same “theories” from prison. So yes, I think he will always be dangerous.

Even if he can be “fixed”, he will probably never be able to live for very long outside a protective environment. I’m not saying someone will make short process of him, but I suspect that if he is released, then no matter where he chooses to settle down, people will likely shun him, and make his life very miserable.

Also the year of The Great Fire of London. To this day*** astrologers continue to claim astrologer William Lilly predicted the fire. (he didn’t )
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

***by that I mean they still did when I was a practising astrologer, from 1971 to 1976. Had a teacher and went to meetings of Adelaide astrologers. All of those members was a true believer. None made even a poor living from the practice. I never asked for nor accepted money.

I kept written records. It was looking back on my records which starting me thinking the whole thing might just be a crock d’ordure de cochon. More reading confirmed my suspicions. It was only then that I began to look at the philosophical and theological implications of fortune telling

I predicted the fire too. I remember specifically, waking in the morning, sitting with my cup of coffee, and asserting… “There will be a fire someplace in the world today.” When the great fire of London happened it was confirmation of my psychic ability. Some day I will probably return to 1666 to claim the notoriety that I obviously deserve.

I just hate the idea of returning to bananas with seeds in them. Those things are dangerous to eat. I guess I’m just spoiled. I plan to hang around until the banana goes the way of the Dodo. (Delicious birds by the way. ) Then I will just pop back in time and probably do the whole thing all over again.

1 Like

Lilly wasn’t quite that crude, but you have the idea. I’ve known a lot of astrologers and have been one. I have never once seen any astrologer predict in this way:

“On January 21, 2022, there will be a bushfire near Penola, South Australia. It will have been caused by arson”. (unless of course the astrologer is the arsonist)

Shades of Ray Comfort that dill little Kirky Cameron.

This underlines the problem of predictions. Any prediction (or prophecy, if you’re so inclined) claiming to be accurate or factual must be specific enough in time and place and details that you can conclusively determine whether the prediction failed or if it was correct. It must be falsifiable. A non-falsifiable “prediction” is not a prediction. Additionally, the language of the prediction must be non-vague so that one cannot claim success by hand-waving and using dubious interpretations.

And as for astrology specifically, the very idea that the stars or planets or any other astronomical configuration should somehow determine psychological, behavioural or physical traits in individuals (or groups of individuals) is just plain silly. There are NO viable and deterministic methods of interaction that can couple from, say, a particular star light-years away (or even planets in this solar system), to specific traits in a specific individual at a specific time and a highly specific place of birth. Astrology is in its very basic foundation more or less axiomatically precluded from making such predictions or connections.