On The Serenity Prayer

I hate the fact that the Christians take credit for such a marvelous piece of advice. I hate the fact that this little prayer begins, “God grant me…” I want to vomit each time I hear it.

No one grants you shit! Especially not a god. My favorite all time versoion of the poem (fuck the word prayer):

God grant me the serenity
To accept things I cannot change,
Courage to change things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

And I just change it… (My version…)

Take a deep breath… I have the serenity to accept what I cannot change,
the courage to change what I can,
and the wisdom to know when to quit.

A very interesting article on the subject and the history of the (chokechoke** ) prayer.

I grab onto the fact that its origins are actually unknown and that enables me to imagine it is just one more bit of ancient essoteric advice the Christians have stolen from previous cultures and made their own. It’s a human thing that Christians have turned into a special Godly thing, just like they did everything else.

"“The origin of the prayer is somewhat obscure but the consensus of opinion seems
to be that it was the product of the pen and brain of Aristotle. You can probably
check on this at the public library** but this seems to be the best we can do in
identifying the author.”

That’s all it is. Deciding. Deciding what’s important, what you can “control” (hahahaha) and not giving a fuck about the shit you can’t.

Then having a drink :tumbler_glass: because it’s your favorite food group.

Sorry Boomer :wink:

This is practiced by the AA, they act as if they own that phrase.

OMG OMG OMG :scream:

A fucking triangle! Symbol!!!

I just fucking knew the Illuminati were involved!

1 Like

Me too. That’s why I leave god out of it.

That prayer is still said at the opening of AA meetings in South Australia.

I found the higher power bullshit very annoying. If anyone asked me about my higher power I said my G.O.D was a Group Of Drunks.

I identified as secular humanist from the floor towards the end of my stint at AA . I was stunned at the number of blokes who came up to me after the meeting revealing they were the same. I think there are probably far more atheists in AA than AA likes to admit.

I got me sober, not AA and certainly not any higher power. They told me at the start “take what you need and leave the rest”. So I did that, taking the unconditional acceptance and support and leaving all the woo.

2 Likes