New guy who believes in God

Neither is he. He’s demonstrating the ability of an active brain to create hallucinations. I’m demonstrating the ability of an inactive brain to not be able to, and yet here we are with people who have experiences posterior to the halt of activity in their brain.

Care to weigh in?

Yes, I don’t believe this claim, where is the objective evidence that anyone can experience anything what ALL brain activity has ceased? Medical science seems to think the evidence demonstrates this state is irreversible, so why should we believe anecdotal claims on the internet?

Then explain how an inactive brain produces hallucinations.

In the absence of a cogent alternative it seems to be a valid conclusion.

That was a quote

Claim 1: during cardiac arrest people go unconscious and brain activity comes to a halt (electrical and chemical signals)

Claim 2: people can be resuscitated from this in a reasonable period of time (ie. the longer a person stays like this, the more likely they will never be resuscitated

Claim 3: in spite of having no brain activity people like this who are resuscitated recount experiences

Claim 4: those experiences are recurring among people and include OBE’s and weightlessness, portals of light which lead to heavenly realms where they meet beings of light.

I don’t believe your claim, and said I see no evidence presented to support it, so why would I explain your claim? Brain death is the cessation of ALL brain activity, and is irreversible, so I find the claim dubious.

“A person who is brain dead is legally confirmed as dead. They have no chance of recovery because their body is unable to survive without artificial life support.”

CITATION

Brain death is different from a vegetative state

The difference between brain death and a vegetative state (a disorder of consciousness), which can happen after extensive brain damage, is that it’s possible to recover from a vegetative state, but brain death is permanent.

So either your are wrongly conflating the two, or you’re just wrong, or the entire medical and legal profession are wrongly pronouncing people dead of course, and again I am dubious.

The brain can still function when a person is unconscious. I have had general anaesthesia several times and though I remember nothing while unconscious my brain did not stop working. Near death, and being dead are simply not the same, assumptions made about anecdotal subjective claims from people near death are not objective evidence of what happens after we die.

Well I am dubious and still waiting for objective evidence to support this claims, but likely their brains are not dead…not sure how many more times this can be explained, since after brain death no one recovers, so they couldn’t relate experiences, obviously. Anecdotal subjective claims from NDE’s, are experiencing people claim to have had while their brains are being starved of oxygen, but very much alive.

You’re just not paying attention! It does not matter if we frigging know for certain or not. What we do know is that water is EVERYWHERE! How are you missing this? There is very little we know about the universe with absolute certainty. That does not mean you get to insert religious belief. There are facts and evidence leading to the most common theories that do not support “POOF! Magic from a supreme being.”

1 Like

Did you even bother to read my earlier post, where I stated explicitly that the Earth’s water originated in space? Millions of tons of water are contained in cometary ices that we observe today.

Let’s provide an example, shall we? Namely Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, which was visited by the Rosetta spacecraft in 2014. the volume of that comet is, wait for it, 18.7 cubic kilometres.. Its mass is nearly 10 billion tons.

Now, even if we assume that only 30% of that mass consists of water molecules, that’s still 3 billion tons of water in that one comet alone. Furthermore, the amino acid glycine was detected within the cometary material, along with 15 other organic molecules.

Of course, this particular comet isn’t considered a candidate for water delivery, not just because it’s still out in space millions of miles from Earth, but because the water found there is three times richer in deuterium than water found on Earth. But other comets with much lower deuterium content could in the past have delivered water to the planet during its formation.

Once again did you have a school to attend as a child? One which would have taught you how gravity operates, let alone any substantive information about the composition of comets?

First of all, scientists have numerous useful data points informing them of the possible origin of water on Earth, courtesy of the fact that material is arriving on Earth from space right now, and some of that material contains water. A spectacular example of material arriving on Earth from outer space was provided by the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor, which was filmed by thousands of dash cams when it arrived. Here’s a nice video compilation of some of that footage:

Do you ever get out at all?

Now, just because we don’t have actual detailed data from the era in question, not least because 4.6 billion years of geological activity since then has erased any impact craters that may have been formed during the Hadean Era, doesn’t mean that a good deal of present day data isn’t informative about what happened in the past. Including that data from space based telescopes illustrating planetary accretion in action.

Indeed, back in 1994, I remember watching the footage of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacting the planet Jupiter. Here’s a run-down of that event. And another video clip is informative:

Again, we have data that is useful.

You have about 500 years of accumulated scientific knowledge to catch up on.

2 Likes

I’m prepared to go out on a limb here, and offer an opinion… :wink:

1 Like

You’re changing my argument. I haven’t argued that “brain dead” individuals produce experiences.

As I’ve said many times already:

When people go into cardiac arrest their brain activity comes to a halt. This includes chemical signals and electrical signals.

So you can stop conflating what I’m actually saying with a position that you see to be convenient and dismissible.

1 Like

But not when chemical and electrical signals have halted.

This is not the same as brain death. Brain death is an irreversible condition of brain cell death which occurs after prolonged inactivity. In fact, a person can be brain dead even with a supply of oxygen pumped into them with a ventilator. So, clearly, the case of unconscious brain inactivity due to cardiac arrest is different than brain death. And im not arguing for brain death

1 Like

These are just convenient definitions which don’t apply to what I’m saying.

Brain death does not occur minutes after blood flow has been cut off from the brain.

And the likelihood of resuscitating a cardiac arrest ten minutes after onset is low (with brain damage expected if successful).

1 Like

Gee… where have we heard this before, before, before, before…

Perhaps the video will do the trick. I wonder if we put the words “God Said” in front of each scientific fact, theists would believe it? After all, we know they do not read the bible and have no idea of its contents. Hmmm? I wonder?

No, and I asked you to clarify several times what you meant by no brain activity, since this is the definition of brain death. So it’s your claim that is describing brain death, both the medical and legal definitions of death are the cessation of all brain activity, since this is irreversible. Which of course means either your description is wrong / inaccurate, or the claim people have come back to describe stuff is untrue.

If you’re basically saying that the brain experiences stuff even after your heart stops, then no one disagrees, and of course this doesn’t remotely evidence an afterlife, since those people are still alive.

So now we’re back to you providing some objective evidence for the claim, since it is at odds with medical science, and legal definitions of death, and then to objectively support whatever conclusions you’re drawing. As even were the claim not just an unevidenced anecdotal one, I don’t see how it evidences an afterlife or anything supernatural.

Sigh! If you mean completely inactive, then I don’t believe it does, as I have said several times now this is called brain death, and your claim the brain is inactive is contradicted by the fact they are storing and then later relating experiences.

Again the cessation of all brain activity is brain death, if this is not what you’re describing then the brain is not completely inactive, as that is what brain death means.

So called NDE’s are patients who are still alive, but whose hearts have stopped. Since brains being starved of oxygen obviously still function, and store memories, ipso facto they are not inactive.

Hmm, well maybe this could help…or not.

Edit (Elvis has left the building)

A patient in a coma need not be brain dead, someone in a coma can recover, when someone is brain dead there no recovery is possible, again that is what the term means brain dead means, the irreversible cessation of all brain function.

Firstly nonetheless is one word, secondly the brain remains active after cardiac arrest, thirdly claiming the brain cannot “generate experiences”, then saying “but it does” is just a contradiction you have created to insert woo woo superstition.

"Authors Suggest Lack of Blood Flow to Brain Allows Access to ‘Entire Consciousness’
The brain activity captured via EEG along with the participants’ recalled experiences show that some people have a clear hyperconscious experience where they reevaluate their life in a way that’s different from hallucinations or other imaginary experiences, said Parnia."

CITATION

Impaired brain function, and the cessation of all brain function, are not the same, and this represents a clinical and legal line between life and death. At least as far as current knowledge allows.

“Although doctors have long thought that the brain suffers permanent damage about 10 minutes after the heart stops supplying it with oxygen, our work found that the brain can show signs of electrical recovery long into ongoing CPR,” said senior study author Sam Parnia, MD, PhD, an associate professor in the department

Nope, cardiac arrest is clinical death, cessation of all brain function is brain and legal death.

Again they were not brain dead, but clinically dead, the latter is only cardiac arrest, they were neither brain dead nor legally dead.

Not true, as I said above, doctors have long thought that the brain suffers permanent damage about 10 minutes after the heart stops supplying it with oxygen, but research has demonstrated that the brain can show signs of electrical recovery long into ongoing CPR.

CITATION

Either way, when enough damage occurs for the cessation of all brain activity no one recovers, ipso facto if someone recovers from cardiac arrest, and makes claims about what they “saw” or dreamed they saw, then their brain was obviously not inactive.

1 Like

so the scientists don’t know for sure either lol

And how did evolution program people on the verge of death to experience OBE’s, portals of light, heavenly places, with the heavenly apparition of their ancestors? And why is the experience common among NDE’s?

It’s only obvious to you because you don’t acknowledge the existence of a soul capable of OBE’s, travel into portals of light, travel to heavenly realms where the light bodies of their ancestors meet them.

Since this stage of travel to the other side is ubiquitous among those who are near death it’s “obvious” that the soul exists. In fact we can even assume that those who aren’t resuscitated experience the same thing. Thus everyone has a soul which travels to the other side after death. It’s obvious that this is the last stage of life.

Oh fuck ratty… You are still on this shit? Ho in the hell do you get through life insisting on such ignorance in the face of ‘FACTS.’ Demonstrate this thing you are calling a sould. What solid evidence do you have for its existence?

1 Like