Mormons and polygamy

Why do Mormons get to have a bunch of wives but the other denominations look at them with shameful eyes?

Ah…those are not shameful eyes grasshopper, those are JEALOUS eyes…naïve, but jealous nonetheless.

2 Likes

Some men are just better at convincing women they are worthless, unable to do things for themselves, and only capable of a supporting role to a good man, than other men.

1 Like

And some women would rather have a family that consists of many other adult women.

1 Like

My question is why is it anybody’s business (much less the government’s) how many wives (or husbands… or partners) a person has? As long as they are all consenting adults, it shouldn’t matter. Just my opinion.

4 Likes

It isn’t a crime to have multiple “spirit” wives/husbands. It is when you start claiming multiple legal wives/husbands on government paperwork (fraud) that they get into trouble.

1 Like

I used to fantasize about having multiple girlfriends. Tis a hard thing even without religion. All of the women I’ve been with don’t share and are against it.

okay

1 Like

I think it takes a very strong and pretty rare ego structure to be in a relationship with a person who is in multiple relationships. Most folks, I’d bet, who venture into one would end up feeling like they just aren’t good enough, not lovable enough, not, well, enough. Too often, one’s self-value is predominantly dependent on others’ treatment and opinions of them. That’s not to say only the fragile are in one-one relationships.

2 Likes

Bloody hell, man. One s.o. is quite enough for me to handle, so I cannot imagine how it would be with more than one. Introvert me could not handle the drama.

2 Likes

Pretty much sums up the way I feel. I stay busy enough keeping my ONE wife happy/satisfied. And it’s bad enough when I piss off only her. (Believe it or not, I can be annoying. :astonished: Yes, surprising, I know.) Hell, I don’t even want to imagine having two, three, or more pissed at me all at once. :joy:

I agree with @CyberLN that it takes a special type of ego/personality to be in a polygamous relationship. I think I’ll keep the idea of multiple partners in the fantasy world. :blush:

1 Like

I don’t think it is often prosecuted anymore unless the wives are underage. A man who thinks he can have as many wives as he wants sometimes thinks he can have any age he wants too. Also, it’s no doubt easier to convince a girl to be your 6th wife than it is an adult woman. Fraud can be involved too since only one wife is legal you now have multiple, single, unwed mothers and oodles of children eligible for government assistance.

Or just brainwashing from a very early age. (I am not disagreeing that some mature personalities can probably function this way. I don’t think that’s the history of Mormonism.)

4 Likes