Mormonism vs scientology

Bird shit is nearly always pristine and neat.

Not the stuff which landed on my car the other day. It was white and grey and slithery.

It was probably a bat. Fucking mammals.

Yes. Yes it is. And they have deadly aim :bird:

Really?

I live virtually abutting a linear park which runs N/S for over 5km along a creek. Lots of wonderful native birds and animals. My favourites are the Kookaburra and Koalas. Saw a couple of Koalas in peopleā€™s front yards during a bad drought a few years ago .

Have never seen a wild fruit bat anywhere around herā€¦

No bats in Adelaide? Fruit bats are quite common in Queensland. I think each and every coastal town up there continues to have its chronic ā€˜biblical plagueā€™ of thousands of bats. Its to be expected because its all tropical forests, flowering eucalypts and fruit orchards up and down the coast and virtually no predators.

New South Wales has had its share of overpopulated colonies or camps of bats and ever since a young lad in Sydney, I have witnessed large bats swooping low over suburban houses at night. I even found some dead uns in my parentā€™s garden.
More recently I have witnessed long crowded lines of bats at night flying above the lighted freeways that flow through Sydney. They will fly in both directions, observing the traffic rules by keeping to the left lanes. They ignore red lights.

Some twenty(?) years ago the long established and enormous colony of bats in the Harbour-side Royal Botanical Gardens had to be culled when the copious amount of guano accumulating within the Gardens presented an actual health risk to tourists.

Bats really are dirty, smelly and careless where they shit.
At least birds will attempt to aim, when provoked.

Not what I said mate. I said Iā€™ve never seen one around here. I live North of the city in one of the so called dormitory suburbs.

I have seen the odd fruit bat colonies within the CBD, in the Botanic Gardens. Thatā€™s some years ago as I rarely go into the city from one year to the next. I like to go to the central market but itā€™s such a hassle, and takes hours, vs 20-30 minutes for local shopping.

ā€¦everything! Holaā€¦watched a documentary on the ā€œmouse plagueā€.

You guys are tough - like really tough stock!

Awwww, come on!
Do you know how hard it is to catch 500,000 stampeding mice?
Theyā€™re much more than just wingless bats.
You want biblical mice plagues? You canā€™t handle biblical mouse plagues!
Warning!
If you are not from tough stock, I mean really tough stock, donā€™t watch this video.
Iā€™m told its really disturbing.

Wasnā€™t it called ā€œGoing Clearā€?

If memory serves it refers to the bs test they give new recruits.

Lol - ever hear of this cool animal called a cat? They leave these fuckers dead on my door all the timeā€¦

I have four. Cats that is - no mice :mouse2:

Jokes aside - what is the ā€œcatā€ population there ā€¦how are they viewed?

No cats any more, because I have no way of enclosing it. My sis has a run for her cat along one side of her house. Domestic cats are a pest here because they kill native birds and small native animals such as kangaroo rats and bilbies. A law was recently passed here making the microchipping of cats as well as dogs mandatory

Venus, my lovely, late Russian Blue ,began gifting as a kitten with butterflies. She progressed to mice and finally to rats, which made my wife freak out and stand on the coffee table. Rat was still twitching.
Venus then taught our silky terrier how to play with live rats until they brokeā€¦ That practice ceased when one bit Becky. Cranky squished it with a shovel.

1 Like

Cats are popular pets here, but in this land of marsupials we only trust them as much as you would a piranha in a goldfish pond.
The reason is that this island continent is a marsupial dominated ecology, and cats and dogs and rats are recognised as introduced environmental hazards. Whenever predatory mammal meets marsupial itā€™s a bloodbath in the mammalsā€™ favour, such as happened 3 million years ago when the the Isthmus of Panama formed to join the long separated marsupial kingdom of South America and the mammalian kingdom of North America and the stranger little critters were all but annihilated.

In the past 240 years since their introduction to Terra Australis, Felis catus has been the most destructive to local native animals and birds. Cats are said to be directly responsible for the extinction of some native wildlife species. They are subject to curfews and outright bans on outside homes all over the country and owners are subject to hefty fines.
The City of Mandurah in Western Australia euthanised a cat after it was believed to have nearly killed off the entire population of the endangered Fairy Tern in a designated wildlife sanctuary in 2018. The truth is many people are not aware of the presence of feral foxes in Australia, that are just as destructive if not more so.

I have come across feral cats in the bush and they are freaking savage. I managed to domesticate one female I caught as a kitten. She made one loyal, if psychotic companion; I had to keep her on a short leash outdoors in the town; she use to fearlessly attack dogs in the street. But strangely enough when I took her camping off the leash she behaved more like a dog herself, coming to me direct when I called or whistled.
All around Sydney ever since the 1940s up to recent years, there have been sightings and evidence, in the form of devoured cattle, sheep and kangaroos of larger felines. From paw prints these are suspected of being panthers or cougars, probably escaped from private zoos, circuses, or even military mascots let loose from overseas regiments posted here.

So basically we love and distrust our pet cats, but for those born here, Iā€™d say we are generally fonder of our marsupials and native birds.

My first run-in with a feral cat was on a farm in Kansas. My uncle Steve who was probably 13 at the time, thought it would be funny to tell his little nephew, moi, to go pet the pretty kitties that he had just laid out a bowl of milk for.

A mother cat and about 6 babies, all feral. Of course I trotted on over to where the cats were eating. .10 seconds later I was shitting in my pants and heading for the darkest corner of the barn. Holy shit. I can still see that damn cat ready to fuck me up.,

My uncle put on a huge pair of work gloves. They were soiled dirty and made of thick white canvas. He grabbed the mother cat and you never saw such a hissy fit in your life. Screaming, hissing, fur flying, claws slashing, biting, and then everything slowed to this torturous low throated growl. ā€œCome and pet the pretty kitty!ā€ He chortled. ā€œNot in a fucking million years!!!ā€ I would have thought to myself, if I had the linguistic ability.

Trying to interact with a feral cat is a good way to get your face ripped off. LOL. Just thought I would share.

2 Likes

Me too, once. Port Lincoln, having a picnic with my girlfriend out a bit from Lincoln. This creature simply strolled in. Hand to heart it was easily the size of an American Bobcat. We got into the car and stayed there until it had finished with our picnic and left. Never occurred me to simply run over the beast.

You are, I am and so is my sis, with her enclosed cat run. I regularly see several cats in this street. Iā€™m not convinced their owners give flying farnarckle about the damage their pets do . I suspect that if I told them they would not believe me. They choose not to know, not to believe ,because doing so might result in some personal inconvenience.

My favorite cat story was told by the actress Melissa McCarthy. She grew up on a farm and her mother had a soft spot for cats. She ended up caring for dozens of cats and in an attempt to keep them tame and more adoptable she tried to interact with them everyday by petting them as they were eating. It was late and had gotten dark as she went among them giving them pets and praise. After giving one some fond caresses she stepped aside and light from a window revealed the cat sheā€™d been petting was a skunk.

2 Likes

There are no skunks of the animal variety in Australia, but more than enough of the human kind. Common among politicians, businessmen and of course clergy.

Iā€™ve run across the idea of skunks being like cats. Are they related or is it because theyā€™re about the size of a cat and quite shy?ā€“seems they also like or will tolerate being patted. Not sure Iā€™d
be game to find out intentionally. I understand their stench needs to be experienced to be believed.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((90))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Old joke, updated; Donny Trump is telling those around him about his recent hunting trip.

"There I was, alone in deepest forest, just me and my Uzi. I came into a clearing. There I saw a naked young woman leaning against a tree. She looked at me, smiled and said ā€œIā€™m gameā€

So I shot her.