Man with Down syndrome fired from Wendy's after 20 years

Wow. I felt this was really harsh.

2 Likes

Retirement! Lucky bastard.

1 Like

Lucky indeed. I don’t think I’ll ever get to retire. :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

I became very, very angry after reading this.

I am autistic, and have often found myself losing jobs because of my disability . . . even though I do the work.

A thing I often hear is “If you’re smart enough to multiply large numbers in your head, memorize pi to 22 digits, speak Spanish, and be a published writer . . . then you’re smart enough to know how to not be autistic.” Also, we all know that enabling an alcoholic or a drug addict makes the disease worse.

So . . . if my professors at school and/or my employers allow me to have my accommodations, then it’s like enabling an alcoholic or a drug addict and will make my autism worse.

So, they’re doing me a favor by firing me so that I can focus on not being autistic rather than me using my accommodations to force my employers to enable me.

After all, we know that hitting rock bottom forces the alcoholic to change, and me hitting rock bottom by losing my job should similarly help me to not be autistic any more.

So, they’re doing me a favor by firing me.

3 Likes

Thank GOD those fantastic people had the forethought and consideration to put YOUR welfare before their own! PRAISE THE LORD! Just imagine, if you will… Had those courageous men and women not taken it upon themselves to provide you with the opportunity to focus on your autism without all the distractions of trying to work and make an honest living, God only knows how your life would be now. Thank JEEEE-ZUS there are folks like that in the world watching over us like heavenly guardian angels. You should send letters of thanks to all of them.

(Edit to pretend to deny any form of perceived sarcasm that may or may not have been ingrained within the post.)

2 Likes

Thank you for the validation.

2 Likes

Indeed, we’re all much better off when scientists lead the way, we should always trust our scientific institutions like the AAAS with their peer review process and so on, shouldn’t we:

Straw man fallacy, numpty…

2 Likes

I agree that 100 years ago, science had different conclusions.

100 years from now, science will have different conclusions and ideas from today.

This is because science is a self-correcting enterprise.

And I suspect that much of the eugenics business came from people perverting science for their own ends, just as Creationists do today.

2 Likes

I’d also classify it as a sad attempt at a Texas sharpshooter fallacy. Cherry-picking evidence that supports his claim and waving it with such fervor.

3 Likes

Why the attacks? why the complaints? All I said really is that we should be vigilante, blind trust in apparently rational enterprises with apparently foolproof peer review process and so on has failed in the past and will fail again.

Straw man fallacy, numpty…

1 Like

I concur on this one doctor

1 Like

Why do you feel attacked? I just stated my opinion. Can’t someone just make a comment without someone jumping up trying to be offended by it?

3 Likes

Damn, Satan. Don’t you know? He felt attacked because you didn’t agree with him wholeheartedly. When are all you yo-yos here gonna learn if you just simply AGREE with everything Sherlock says he will feel much more comfortable and at ease here amongst us godless heathens. Remember, manners, people. Manners.

3 Likes

Because I just quoted a science book about the role played by the AAAS and Eugenics, that’s it and you responded with:

Odd, you’re fine pointing out the many flaws in “religion” yet when one points out flaws in aspects of your own religion you get all defensive and discredit me for just stating some facts.

Why the apologetics for racism and bigotry?

Science is not a religion, by definition. What’s more no one claimed science or that scientific organisation, was or had ever been " foolproof" as you dishonestly claimed in your straw man fallacy. here is a quote of it for context:

You lied, in an irrational and churlish response, and now are lying again that you have been attacked, when the only thing attacked was your irrational claim.

1 Like

But atheism is or did you not even notice?

religion
noun

1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.

honesty meter

Specifically 0:48