Let's MAGA again, like say 1864

I think it’s pretty clear at what point the Make America Great Again people think that America was great. It was 1864 when the civil war was raging and women couldn’t vote. The Arizona state supreme court just voted to up hold an 1864 law that almost completely bans abortion. The good news is that the Democratic governor and attorney general refuse to enforce it and now it’s on the November ballot to have abortion rights made part of the Arizona’s constitution. Every state where it’s come to a vote the pro choice side has won. We really need to get those old laws against the LBGTQ community off the books before Republican courts start up holding them too.
Oh, and Anthony Kern, an Arizona state senator who was part of a group who prayed (in tongues no less) for the court to up hold the ban, called people making an outcry against the 1864 ban “god haters”.

2 Likes

…and then there is France, which guarantees the right to abortion through their constitution.

2 Likes

I guess that by “land of the free” they mean we’re free to crawl around on the floor babbling incoherently while begging a god to take away women’s rights.

5 Likes

OMG: We have got to be the laughingstock of the world… Oh, Wait! The rest of the world believes this stupid shit. (Why don’t they have a face-palm emoji?)

They do. In fact, they have three:
:man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :person_facepalming:
Press the emoji button (the smiley one) and use the search field:

Or you can type them manually, like this: :man_facepalming:, :woman_facepalming:, :person_facepalming:.

1 Like

Thanks, I needed them all. They need one with the palm coming out the ass though.

3 Likes

Holding a banana?

Fk me, let’s see Ray comfort make a video about that banana. :wink:

1 Like

Not the ass, but…

H8v6T6g

SAVED: It will save me a lot of swear words and make Cyber HAPPY. lol

1 Like

Update: the Arizona legislature voted to repeal the 1864 law earlier this month and the governor signed it.

2 Likes

Democrats succeeded narrowly, this was interesting:

“The epitome of delusion is saying I am pro-life yet voting to repeal an abortion ban,” said Senator Anthony Kern, who called the 1864 law “the best abortion ban in the nation”.

Voting to repeal is “voting for death”, he said. Mr Kern was one of the fake electors indicted last week for his role in an alleged scheme to overturn the 2020 election in favour of Donald Trump.

"If the repeal is signed by Governor Hobbs, abortions in Arizona will be governed by 2022 law, which prohibits abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy with exceptions only in cases of medical emergency. There are no exceptions for rape or incest.

However, that could change in November when Arizonans are expected to vote on a ballot question that would protect abortion access until 24 weeks of pregnancy.

Similar ballot initiatives in Republican-controlled states since Roe was overturned have all delivered wins for the pro-choice movement."

CITATION

This is a success, but it has to go farther, (see emboldened text). a sensible limit would be 24 weeks, with no exceptions, all women should have right to choose how their body is used. If you don’t like and don’t want an abortion, then you have the choice not to have one, have the decency to allow others the same right to choose.

5 Likes

I’ve got an epitome of delusion for him. Their capacity for delusion is bottomless. The Texas GOP is proposing that a plank in their parties election includes instating the death penalty for women who have abortions. The completely insane “respect life or we’ll kill you argument”. I’d like to see the wide spread and constant airing of these peoples views so everyone realizes what is at stake in the next election. I’m seeing a lot of apathy toward electing Biden and he needs all the votes he can get.
Oh, I have a joke. What is worse ignorance or apathy? Response: I don’t know and I don’t care.

6 Likes

I plan to do what I did in 2020: Walk my neighborhood, knock on doors, and encourage my neighbors to get out and vote.

3 Likes

2 Likes

If you liked that you should watch this from The Donald’s niece, she’s not a fan of her uncle that’s for sure…

Apologies if it’s been posted, as it is not new, and dates back to Stormy Daniels’s testimony at the now concluded trial about hush money payments.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure where to put this, so putting it here.

The U.S. Supreme Court today ruled unanimously that a group of anti-abortion organizations and doctors didn’t have standing to challenge the FDA’s approve of the abortion drug mifepristone.

The 9-0 ruling surprised me. I was expecting Alito and/or Thomas to come up with some twisted byzantine logic to oppose this one.

3 Likes

That’s great, though I when I read this:

“The challenge to the drug had been vehemently opposed by the pharmaceutical industry, which warned that a ruling that second-guessed the regulations for mifepristone could open the door to legal challenges targeting all sorts of medications.

I saw this $$$$$$$$…

Have we found the Achilles heel of religious extremism, it’s amoral bs can’t be allowed to destroy the profit margin in the good old us of a…?

I sometimes think life may have made me cynical, but maybe that’s just the natural progression of things…

5 Likes

Good point. Is Harlan Crow involved in the pharmaceutical industry?

1 Like

Mostly real estate and industrial interests, but you never know, these billionaire’s are slippery little suckers when it comes to protecting their interests.

If it fucks the depressing trend in religious extremists trying to revert women’s rights back to bronze age patriarchal Bedouin societies from the middle east, then I guess it’s a case of “pick your battles”.

The good news is that around 50% of the electorate are women, and for now they can, and should, stick it to these religious extremists from the ballot box.

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but would be surprised if the verdict weren’t a result of the claimant’s failure to show they had been harmed in a way that could be connected to the FDA.

Imaginary harm may be fading as a legal basis.