Is human cloning a good or bad idea?

Is human cloning a good or bad idea?

Should we ban human cloning?

How does cloning change the value of human life?

Its a good and bad idea. Like a knife :hocho:…cut tomatoes or a weapon.

1. Neither
  2. (You actually think that would work?) No
  3. It doesn’t
3 Likes

Well! That’s three right, so you move on to the next round.

Edit: Truth or Calisthenics

It all depends on which side of the fence you are on. On this side it is a good idea and on that side it is a bad idea. I try not to use the concepts of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ in my life. Avoiding false dichotomies is a lifestyle choice.

1 Like

Potentially both, depending on how it’s used.

Do you mean should we ban all research linked to it? We can’t currently clone human beings can we? If it’s the former then no.

It doesn’t, the value we attach human life is subjective, so it’s people’s attitudes towards the idea that would likely influence their subjective belief of what value we attach human beings.

Read Huxley’s Brave New World, if you haven’t already. It describes a dystopian future where all humans are cloned not born, oddly it has some real positives, but it’d be a poor book if it didn’t portray such choices as difficult ones that contain paradoxes. It ostensibly explores the dangers of giving the state control over new and powerful technologies, but it goes further than that in examining what it is to be human.

2 Likes

My personal opinion is yes it’s fine. I also have a history of terrible decision making and work in a restaurant. Lol but if you want a real opinion I recommend Dr. Leon Kass book life liberty and the defense of dignity. Here’s a random book report about it I picked on Google. https://humanumreview.com/articles/kass-life-liberty-and-the-defense-of-dignity

I think it’s probably like any other scientific advance, and can be very good or very bad . . . depending upon what we do with it.

An understanding of nuclear physics gives us radiation treatment for cancer, noninvasive ways to image the inside of the human body, and ways to treat certain thyroid conditions . . . yet nuclear physics has also given us the hydrogen bomb.

When cells are removed from the body and encouraged to multiply in order to do things like stem cell or bone marrow transplants, then this qualifies as a kind of human cloning.

Yet I can see it being a bad thing if a market develops for custom-made, cloned children.

Many animals are believed to be in danger of extinction from a genetic bottleneck that lowers genetic diversity. The Spix Macaw was on the verge of extinction, with only 44 pet birds in captivity. A breeding program has got them up to about 300 birds . . . but there are fertility problems and other health issues that are attributed to a lack of genetic diversity.

Also, Native Americans–for example–were very vulnerable to alcoholism and communicable diseases because of a low genetic diversity, and these weaknesses were exploited by European settlers who “donated” fire water and smallpox-ridden blankets.

Diversity is a good thing, and I see how cloning might enable a racist regime to churn out multiple copies of an “ideal” human in a misguided attempt to stave off “the great replacement” that frightens so many bigots.

This lack of diversity may mean that such a population of people may have a vulnerable “Achilles Heel” that might lead to extinction if something unexpected crops up.

Please see below:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.npr.org/2022/05/16/1099034094/what-is-the-great-replacement-theory&ved=2ahUKEwiJlvv7mpr9AhUKRzABHS45CGAQFnoECAsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3C64I3y8E0VHyWDA_zNmVe

1 Like