I’ve never quite understood…

If we are made in god’s image, why aren’t we invisible?

(Please add yours.)

4 Likes

I never quite understood…

• If God is all-knowing and, therefore, already knows all my thoughts and needs, why did I have to pray to him?

• If God loves me and is omni-benevolent, why must I have to fear him?

• Rape, murder, pillage, plunder, and commit any number of other such heinous acts that cause immeasurable harm to others, and the Loving Lord would gladly forgive you if you ask. However, make one insulting remark against God, and you’ll find yourself on the express elevator to hell and eternal torture.

4 Likes

Soooooo many things about the christian god that make no sense, where to start?
How about the only way this wise, all knowing god could find to forgive the flawed beings he’d created was to have his only son live among us and be tortured to death? WTF?

2 Likes

Well according to the earliest ‘christians’ the son was adopted so pretty much disposable, plenty more where that one came from.

3 Likes

Why did we need billions of years of evolution before we were a reflection of the image of a deity?

Why would a deity use billions of years of evolution only to produce one species of one great ape that reflected it’s own image?

What are we to think about a deity whose image shares most of it’s DNA with gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos, gibbons, and orangutans. If it doesn’t have DNA then in what way are evolved humans made entirely from DNA “made in it’s image”?

If this deity is infallible, omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, then in what way are we “made in its image”?

If we, like all living things, have evolved alongside diseases that can infect and afflict us, how does this suggest we are “made in the image of” a deity, can it get sick feel human emotions, pain, anger sorrow, can it be petty and stupid, ignorant and superstitious as we can? Does it have sexual desires?

3 Likes

Well, it is indeed narcissistic and egotistical and misogynistic. And by its own admission it is jealous and wrathful, indicating a sense of insecurity. Oh, and let’s not forget sadistic and homicidal. So, while most folks may not be “made in his image”, I have certainly known a few over the years who DO exhibit godly behavior.

5 Likes

Almost as if the characteristics are being projected onto it from ancient humans, it seems more plausible that humans create deities in their image, than the other way around.

Indeed, and then projected that onto a deity they’ve imagined. You have hit the nail on the head.

2 Likes

Todd is so big that you’d have to zoom out at least a hundred times in order to see his physical body. So, we’re just, like, microscopic versions of Todd. He’s not really invisible. But we’re, like, situated inside one electron of his body and that’s why we can’t see Todd.

1 Like

And why does a supposedly purely spiritual being need a mouth to eat with and a nose to breath with?

2 Likes

And does this spiritual being have a belly button? Or an arsehole?

2 Likes

The christian version, Yahweh, is an arsehole.

3 Likes

Yeah, the old debate question within programming - has-a or is-a.

1 Like

To justify their own actions.

2 Likes

If God exists and we are supposed a meet him when we die how come we didn’t meet him when we were born? Rather rude do you think?

2 Likes

You did.
You just don’t remember :wink:

You wicked wicked lady… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@johnboy2 Welcome to AR. That wasn’t very kind of @Whitefire13 to suggest you have a faulty memory. I mean how could you remember your heavenly father sending you off after giving you a mind wipe. Wait that doesn’t make any sense. What did god send off anyway. Science insists that you were created when a sperm from a male successfully invaded and fertilized an egg from a female. In a sense you were made on the spot. But does that mean their might not be a there there speaking of heaven. I mean if every there has a there there and you didn’t come from heaven where is the there there that you came from.

Oh sorry I’ve made myself dizzy. I’ll have to sit and ponder this a bit more. Fortunately there are much brighter minds here than mine and they can surely answer your question. I think you might have to prepare yourself that you haven’t met god, at least to yet.

1 Like

@Sheldon Are you seriously saying you aren’t all those omni’s?

I wish, imagine how sharp my arguments would be, the trouble is if I were omni-benevolent I couldn’t use them, or be sarcastic, can you imagine knowing the best arguments, and being omni-sarcastic, but never being able to use any of it in case you hurt someone’s feelings? Now that would be Hell… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

And there is yet another paradox that christian’s have to deal with. You could always follow gods example and wipe every one out and then promise not to do it again.