I like turtles! or is it tortoises?

Assuming god…why did god communicate through literature?

He couldn’t foresee people in general don’t google definitions. He didn’t even rethink his “plan” after he gave everyone different languages… :eyes:

1 Like

dogalmightyAtheist

Come on … asking questions that you already know the answers to? Really? Ahemmmmmm Regarding the turtle tortoise debate… , Are you standing near a body of water or closer to the desert or mountains? Is the shell dome shaped and heavy? (you like tortoise) Is the shell softer and flatter? (You like turtles.) Are the feet short and sturdy with bent legs? (You like tortoise.) Are the toes on the feet webbed? (You like turtles.) Hope this helps.

And assuming a god who prefers communicating through literature why hadn’t the printing press been invented back in 2000-3000 BC?

1 Like

I really don’t know.

Leon in Blade Runner " Tortoise, what’s that?"

If you must have the scientific answer:

"Well, actually, there’s a meaningful difference between tortoises and other turtles . All tortoises are in fact turtles—that is, they belong to the order Testudines or Chelonia, reptiles having bodies encased in a bony shell—but not all turtles are tortoises . If tortoises are turtles , why not just call all turtlelike creatures " turtle “?”

Considering how many abrahamic religions and sects there are, and considering god has several omni’s jammed up his butt, you would think that text might have been a poor choice.

To paraphrase Dillahunty, why did this god who created us so it could be worshiped, sent his son to be sacrificed to spread the message more, the bible has many passages about god wanting it’s message to be spread, put those messages into such a difficult format that is extremely open to interpretation?

There are over 30,000 different christian sects, all derived from one 1,200 page book.

1 Like

Bad marketing company… hahahahaha

1 Like

@Whitefire13

Interesting…god does not have omnimarketingness. I think you are onto something.

boomer47Atheist

Blasphemer!!!
Where did you get your biology degree? " All tortoises are in fact turtles." Everyone knows the Tortoises came first and all turtles are Tortoises!

1 Like

The Turtles are happy forever.

“Omnimarketingness” be buggered. The poor celestial dodderer can’t even write a book himself, or a build a simple boat or a portable temple for that matter, and yet insists he can create universes. Its “omni-ineptitudeness”…or something.

1 Like

…as a monoglot, if you believe the claims many theists make.

1 Like

Because 1-2k years ago, books were very impressive. Most people would only see a few books in their life times (if at all,) and it was for the “rich and smart” people.

Now books are old technology. Pretty funny that some omni god idea main form of communication got badly outdated.

The reality of course is that the various religion ideas fit the various cultures/times they sprung from, but we all already know that, well, we all mostly do, except for the particular god idea that a person believes in gets a free pass.

1 Like

Because humans that’s why.

It’s funny to think that an omnipotent god in all his infinite wisdom would choose among all options available to him, the very error-prone and inhomogenous method of literature to spread his world to his people, most of whom at that time couldn’t even read. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BUT if humans invented scripture, which they did, then the most efficient way to spread it would be through literature.

So, again, Because Humans. That’s why

1 Like

When I was taking biology classes between the ages of 11 and 16 here in the UK, the various species were distinguished as follows:

[1] Tortoise: exclusively terrestrial members of the Chelonia, with toed feet;

[2] Terrapin: partially aquatic members of the Chelonia, with toed feet, but restricted to freshwater habitats;

[3] Turtle: primarily aquatic members of the Chelonia, with flippers, found in marine habitats.

I’m unaware of the discovery of any species that do not fit neatly into those categories, either living of fossil. Though if someone points me at the relevant scientific papers, I’ll update the database accordingly. :slight_smile: