I am fed up with religious fanatics

Like to know where that fountain is so I can get drunk like that time a few years back. LOL. Came back up red. Drank way too much.

I prefer weed though.

On a Harry Potter binge

Perhaps this will help… It also explains why it was so important for Jesus to have the power to convert water into wine. After all, if he could not do it, well the gods that came before him were obviously greater.

• At Elis in the western Peloponnesus, on the occasion of Dionysus’s holiday called Thyria (“raging”), when Dionysus was thought to be present there, priests under the watch of witnesses placed three empty basins in a building under seal. The next morning when the seal on the door was broken and people entered, the basins were full of wine (Pausanias, 6.26.1).
• On the Agean island of Andros, on the night of January 5-6 at a festival known as the Theodosia, at a spring in the sanctuary of Dionysus wine began flowing from it instead, and whenever samples of it were taken out of the sanctuary they turned into water (Pliny, 31.16; Pausanias, 6.26.2; Otto, p. 98).
• At Dionysus’s temple in the city of Teos (on the Ionian coast about 40 miles north of Ephesus), which city was said to have been founded by followers of Dionysus, on fixed days each year the temple spring poured out wine, of unusual fragrance, instead of water (Diodorus, 3.66; Otto, pp. 97-98).
• On the Agean island of Naxos, wine gushed forth from a spring, a miracle that first occurred when Dionysus married Adriane there (Otto, p. 98).
• Ovid reports that Liber (the Roman Dionysus) gave the daughter of the Delian king Anius, Oino (“wine”), the power to turn anything into wine (Metamorphoses, 13.65-53; also Apollodorus, 4.3.10 (earth into wine)). Presumably, therefore, Dionysus himself could do so.
• Plutarch relates a story in which a spring near Thebes smelled like wine when the infant Dionysus was bathed in it (Lysander, 28.4).
• In Euripides’ Bacchae (706-07), a maenad struck the ground with her thyrsus, “and the god at that spot put forth a fountain of wine.”

Good luck finding that fountain of wine. It must be out there someplace… the god’s can’t be wrong…

1 Like

@Sheldon

Would the person even consider itself in moral crisis?

I suspect not, as if they could identify their moral turpitude it would eliminate the core problem.

I don’t care what the ants are gossiping about me while in their nest. If a god exists, we are ants to it.

This is another example (although the most radical in these times) of religious fanatics using violence to get their way. But religion has always been quick to use violence to satisfy it’s agendas.

2 Likes

Of course, many of the issues that stick like chestnut burrs to mythology fanboy assertions and apologetics, do so because of the unwarranted assumption that any god type entity that exists, actually cares about the human race. Though of course that assumption was almost certainly injected into various mythologies, in part through human conceit, and in part because that assumption became useful as a tool of political control.

I’m on public record in several places, as welcoming genuine evidence for some sort of god type entity, because said evidence will almost certainly falsify all of our pre-scientific mythologies at a stroke. The resulting hissy fits that will ensue from the mythology fanboys when this happens, will of course be a truly exquisite spectacle fully deserving of all the schadenfreude aimed thereat.

Indeed, the idea that any genuinely existing god type entity, might be completely different from the cartoon mythological characters asserted to be candidates for the role by various species of mythology fanboy, is an idea none of them dare entertain. That idea is, for many of them, even worse than the idea that no god type entity exists. Some of my own thoughts on this matter on the old version of the forums are well known to the veterans here, including this editorial piece I posted, in which I engaged in honest speculation about the ramifications of various ideas from cosmological physics being supported by empirical data. I suspect introducing some of the mythology fanboys to that editorial piece will cause them to blow an artery, in much the same way as certain data from the world of invertebrate zoology about the bizarre sex lives of mites, bugs and spiders, will leave other mythology fanboys leaving skid marks on exit from the room after the requisite presentation. But I digress.

One of the hilarious ironies I savour with special relish, is the routine appearance of those tiresome assertions by the usual suspects, to the effect that my dismissal of fatuous cartoon magic men from goat herder mythologies as candidates for the “god role” purportedly arises from my having a “closed mind”, despite the numerous robust objections to mythology fanboy assertions in existence that I have encountered over more than a decade of dealing with their vacuous witterings. Yet at the same time, present to them novel ideas about the nature of any genuinely existing god-type entity, and their reaction betrays that the “closed mind” accusation is usually nothing more than the usual species of projection on their part.

None of the mythology fanboys ever express a willingness to entertain any idea about a god type entity, other than their favourite narrative from their favourite choice of pre-scientific mythology. I have not encountered an exception to this rule in over 12 years of dealing with their friable offerings. The idea that any genuinely existing god type entity has a wealth of other concerns, wholly unconnected with human conceits and vanities, and indeed may not even have bothered to become aware of our existence as a result of those other concerns, is an idea that the mythology fanboys run from the way the rest of us run from a pyroclastic flow.

From that editorial piece, I shall repeat the last paragraph for everyone’s enjoyment:

Indeed, I might bring that editorial piece in full here at some point, in part to see the hilarious reaction of the usual suspects to its publication here. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

+1 like

+2

+3

+5

+10

I have ran into plenty of theist that like to say: well god is “infinite” in power and knowledge, god is everywhere! Problem of course being, asserting that brings many more critically damning questions they cannot answer along with it.

+100

1 Like

that proves the point that islam isn’t a peaceful religion at all. They are blinded by wrong beliefs which is created by someone mentally sick and called himself prophet. its very dangerous to let children grow up seeing these wrong things. I am very thankful that I leave Islam and now I am more in peace with myself and other people in world. the most difficult people to deal with are Muslims to be honest because I was born and raised in Islamic society, they would never accept other religions the way they are pretending and if you leave Islam then you would be their enemy, so that’s why most of Ex-Muslims don’t show or tell anyone that they truly atheist.

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha …

Please take a moment to look at what you have written. You are at peace because Muhammad is a mentally sick person who calls himself a prophet. You are at peace because Islam is not a peaceful religion at all. You are at peace because Islam is dangerous to children. You are at peace because the most difficult people in the world to deal with are Muslims. You are at peace because Muslims are blinded by wrong beliefs.

Hmmmmm… Is there a pattern here?

I am sorry to burst your bubble but you do not come across as a person who is “at peace.”

I submit, that you are engaged in a bit of “black and white” thinking.

How do you think a peaceful person would have said the same thing?

2 Likes

Think you’ve made a mistake here - the other poster has stated that he has left Islam …

Post canceled by cog???
This was in reply to something else I thought you were referencing.

No… I am addressing ShaikhaAtheist

and all the negative comments directed at Islam while maintaining “I am at peace.”

1 Like

The irony here is that there are religious fanatics who are fed up with other religious fanatics and then with atheists.

1 Like

Indeed.

I find it very difficult not to say something unkind to hard atheists who get in my face… So I guess I’m not only intolerant of believers who get in my face.

Nothing wrong with smacking down a hard atheist now and again. Often times they are reacting to God claims out of anger and are just as illogical as the religious around us. It takes a lot more tact and quality of information to a successful hard atheist / anti theist. I prefer anti theist.

[quote=“Cognostic, post:34, topic:597”]
Often times they are reacting to God claims out of anger and are just as illogical as the religious around us. [/quote]

Yeah.

I’ve long suspected there’s a lot of emotion behind the atheism of many/most atheists , at least initially. How could it be otherwise? We humans are not very rational at the best of times. I think it’s even less unlikely with deeply important issues.

1 Like

You cant blame the religion for the people who abuse it. Every religion has been abused by the extremists. I’m not Muslim but I spent time researching the Quran. It is forbidden in Islam to murder, force conversions, to judge other, to force women to wear hijabs, to abuse women, to force women to become housewives. It is unfair to point the whole religion as violent when it is against the religion itself to be violent. Especially when Christianity was used to justify slavery, genocide, and colonialism but doesn’t get nearly as much criticism.

1 Like

Then do you also have a problem with the 2 muslim women who were attacked and stabbed in France? After being called racial slurs?? Cause that is terrorism too

Tu Quo que and therefore irrelevant.

Having said that, it’s my opinion that without exception, every religion reflects the society which invents it as well as the perceptions and prejudices of those who practice it.

Imo, neither Christianity nor Islam are innately violent. Every believer cherry picks the Bible or Quran to find support for his position. That position may be a life of prayerful meditation, or a selfless life of helping others, Or he /she may be one who goes to a school, mosque or temple and murders people, or one who calls for violent Jihad and suicide bombing. OR he/she may simply be an ordinary human being like you and I and want only a peaceful life for self and family .Support can always be found in the holy books, regardless of one’s position.

It is my position that is no one way to read and interpret the Bible or the Quran. If there was, there might not be so many sects of each religion

4 Likes

You hit the nail on the head with this one! It’s puzzling :thinking: our species…

Carpenter Cranky… :hammer: carpenter cranky (hey, cheezus was a carpenter… :grimacing:… but it’s claimed he was smart, so it’s OK)…

And they all “serve god”.

Who cannot be demonstrably evidenced.

It boils down to “my invisible friend says…” and off they go. It’s really just “them” all along.

4 Likes