Have Theistic ideals slowed humanities progression?

Good on you! My youngest HATES rural life - hahahahaha … mostly the “bugs” and quiet - hates “outside” but will indulge me… stares at me like I’m nuts.

He’s a city boy, through and through- so I indulge him often with trips and city activities and stories of how much I enjoyed the city life :grinning:

I’ve always felt most comfortable amongst nature, the less people about, the better!

2 Likes

The “world” my youngest lives in, not many people get in, so he’s happy :laughing:

Fuck, and a natural self confident, un-apologetic nature.

1 Like

These would be the big drones far up in the sky, “eyes in the sky” you would have to spend a lot of time searching the skies to find them. Plus all the cameras on the ground that we are all already used to.

I recently played through half life Alyx, got to see those “hunter killer” drones up close and personal.

1 Like

What about it?

The survival of the individual after his/her biological usefulness is irrelevant. It’s the survival of the species which is important, and even that’s not terribly important . IMO The only truly important thing is life itself in all of its forms. I was quite serious when I describe myself as a misanthrope.

-----and would human beings continue to reproduce at the same levels? Exactly how would that work? A one child policy? The PRC tried that. Look at how splendidly how that turned out.

Not convinced indefinite life a few is a good thing. For all,I think catastrophic . IMO living longer would not make our species less greedy or stupidly self destructive. I’d be amazed if there were not world wars over resources and quite possibly new pandemic against which there would be no defence…

The current pandemic has been raging for less than a year. Current global death toll is 799K. There is no vaccine so far. Typically, vaccines take years to develop, not months.

Oh, your comment about baked beans has made me hungry for Heinz baked beans on toast. It’s Sunday,so the shops don’t open until 11.00. Right now it’s 0909.

Hey Cranks!!! Fuck, this is news to me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Seriously…I don’t remember you describing yourself with this word. You are cranky - but I like that about you.

I guess easy to get lost with the various sobriquets I use or that are used by others. :innocent:

I also have tendency to catastrophize everything. That means I am often pleasantly surprised,unlike the optimist who is often disappointed.

But people will surprise you. I’ve never forgotten the first few weeks after my marriage ended. I discovered that some people I had considered friends were not. That was more than compensated by people I had not known were friends who just came out of the woodwork, going out of their way to be kind.

However, I admit that as far as I know I have never known an evil human being. Nor a completely good one either. I’ve found most of us live quite prosaic lives, never doing anything really evil nor truly selfess. (some mothers I’ve known have come close)

1 Like

I most definitely have, don’t worry though, he is no longer with us… Officially, he’s missing.

A scum bag like that didn’t get to walk this Earth, just because he knew how to work the system and get away with it.

It wasn’t quick either.

No child will ever have to see his sick sadistic grin ever again. (I wasn’t abused by him, but many were)

I had a hand in this, but it was another who was the true hero in this instance.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood. Are you saying you were involved in vigilante justice?

If so, not a thing to boast about.Imo the taking of a human life brings no honour to anyone.

Hey there, Wily. Please allow me to welcome you to the AR. I’m not on here very often lately compared to a few weeks ago, but I do try to pop in from time to time just to keep up with things a bit. (New grandson, and the wife and I are the “day care” for most of the week.) Anyway, ran across this post of yours, and - naturally - it caught my attention. A few words of advice, if I may…

If what you are saying is actually true, boasting about it on an internet chat site probably isn’t the smartest thing to do. Yes, it is only natural that being involved in something like that will typically leave a heavy weight on one’s conscious, no matter how justified a person may feel in doing it. Basic human nature. As such, the urge to tell somebody about it in order to relieve the conscious can often be very strong. It would seem this has shown itself to be true in your situation. (IF what you are saying actually did happen. It IS possible you may just be trolling for responses. I like to keep my options open. Believe it or not, people do not always tell the truth on here. Shocking, I know.)

In this particular case, you seem to be referring to a child molester/rapist. Personally, I will not lose any sleep about one (or hundreds) of those vile creatures meeting an early demise. Matter of fact, I will likely sleep BETTER knowing there are fewer of them stealing my oxygen. That being said, for future reference, I would STRONGLY suggest you leave such things for the professionals whose job it is to handle such matters. And, surely, you MUST be aware there are people out there who know how to track/locate people over the internet. Sooooo… do with that info whatever you will… shrugging shoulders… On the other hand, if you are just some troll coming in here to jerk our collective chains, then, please, do fuck off…

3 Likes

Wish I could say the same. Unfortunately, I have known and have been face-to-face with more than my share of “evil” people over the years. I know there are folks out there who like to pretend such monsters do not exist. It helps them sleep better at night believing there are no “evil” people in the world. Rest assured, though, there are. Like it or not, it IS a reality. And if any of those sociopathic sadistic sub-humans were to ever meet their end at the hands of one or more of their victims, then (in my personal opinion) that is the closest thing to TRUE justice one could ever get. As much as I hate to say it, the court system here in the U.S. is nothing but a “Legal System”. Very rarely does any real justice come from it anymore.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty much the same in most democratic countries. Certainly seems to be in Oz,according to lawyers I’ve known socially.

Sometimes justice is done and seen to be done. As far as I can tell, this seems to be a matter of happy accident rather than by design

Be grateful you don’t live in say the PRC, with its conviction rate of around 98%

Geez… One extreme to the other. There’s gotta be a happy medium somewhere.

Something like that % plead guilty in federal court here in the US (it’s called plea bargaining).

All I did was tell someone where he was hiding.

Then I saw he was missing a few weeks later, I didn’t ask too many questions, but a few months later, I found out who did it, and how, I will never say who, I haven’t seen him in years, he moved out of the country.

In my eyes, the man deserved the Death penalty, but I had no certainty that they would kill him.

The crimes he had commited and got away with were so horrendous, I refuse to talk about them, I just knew if I remained silent, he probably would have hurt more children.

And I’d also like to state, the man was bragging about what he did and how he got away with it, there’s no possibility of him being an innocent.

The way I worded my original post, made it seem like I was more involved than I actually was.

I heard the bragging with my own ears, I deliberated over it for all of ten minutes before I sent a very short text, to a parent of one of his victims.

That’s all I did, not sure if I broke any laws there, but it felt like a moral justice in my eyes.

Apologies if I’ve stressed anyone out with this post, I’ll not talk further on the subject, it’s probably for the best.

2 Likes

You’re gonna have to do waaay better than that to cause ME any stress. No skin off my nose if some shitbag child molester goes missing. But discussing such things on the Net is very unwise. Juuuuust sayin’…

2 Likes

Discussing what things, I have no idea what you’re talking about?

Silly Tin man… :wink:

1 Like

We have plea bargaining here too, although I don’t know the percentage. I suspect quite high.

Here very few cases go to trial. If even a few percentage more people went to trial, the system would come to a grinding halt. Jury trials are relatively rare in Australia.

Oh, the reason for the almost 100% guilty pleas in China is simple; they have a pretty long list of capital crimes. If a person pleads guilty and expresses remorse, he may not be given the death penalty. On the other hand, if he pleads not guilty and is convicted, the death penalty will almost certainly be applied

The Chinese consider crime as a sin against society and are very big on rehabilitation.
EG The PRC ‘rehabilitated’ Puyi, the last emperor. He became a gardener and survived the cultural revolution. He died in 1967 at age 61.

The episode from “Black Mirror” - White Bear absolutely “fucks” with empathy and feelings for justice.

Our ability to empathize- it’s amazing…