Goodbye Old Friend

That’s not a bad idea there. I do enjoy messing with people in subliminal ways like that. I’m the maintenance guy so I get to work in all of the strange spaces of the buildings I work in. I take great enjoyment in leaving notes or odd trinkets with messages laying about in discreet places where I think wandering workers go to hide. Why is messing with people so much fun?

Wow, you fired me up with that question…
In the mid-80’s I was working for a software company in Ohio (as a hardware tech) and always arrived at work before anyone else. I took immense pride in minor rearrangements of the programmer’s items on their desks. Just slight things that I knew would really make them think…WTF?
Occasionally, usually at random, I would appear outside some employee’s window, wearing a fish-head mask and then quickly disappear and return to my station before the identity of the fish could be ascertained.
I was not suspected, being older than many of the employees and known to be focused on my work…
I have always enjoyed messing with people’s realities…
Nowadays I have very few opportunities, so I have to be extremely spontaneous…:smirk:

2 Likes

My difficulty is that I mess with people and they don’t know it. I will be screwing with a whole room of people and there will be one guy hiding in a corner with a smirk on his face who actually gets what I am saying. I love statistics like “Half the people tested have IQ scores below 50.” or “If you can’t hold your nose and hum at the same time, it could mean early onset dementia.”

Okay, now admit it. How many of you tried to hold your nose and hum? How many were freaked out when they couldn’t do it? Who googled? Come on fess up! LOL

1 Like

As for me, I’m somewhat of a deadpan humour kind of person, and I do it without noticing it. Which has the effect that people that don’t know me that well sometimes become confused, and either a) take what I joke about at face value (which sometimes can cause embarrassing situations when the jokes whoosh), or b) look for an escape route, wondering “WTH is he on about?”

1 Like

I do that all the time. I had a machine in pieces once and an operator came up to me and asked how it was going. I replied with “We’re ready to run” in a just matter of fact tone.

His machine obviously in pieces. He asked if I was serious. I said “Go ahead push the start button” Not realizing I had the power locked out and the machine wouldn’t run. Other operators knowing who I am goaded him into hesitantly push the start button. Everyone laughed as he jumped after pushing the button and nothing happened.

Sarcasm and tone of voice are a powerful combination, almost disturbingly so.

3 Likes

Here is my atheist necklace .

1 Like

Nope, too late. When I was in middle school someone told me that if your hand is bigger than your face, you have cancer. When I put my hand over my face they punched my hand, bloodying my nose. That was the first time I got suspended from school.

2 Likes

Are they though? I mean really? :innocent: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

How could you question such power? This blasphemy.

Is it though, really? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :wink:

It really is for real. You really need to realize it is really real.

In with the old and out with the new.
giphy (2) (3)