Fine-Tuned Earth (Rare Earth hypothesis)

The $80 price point was quoted a newspaper article. But it sounds about right if Musk is aiming for the mass market.

If it’s half true, it’ll still be a good thing. ISPs are the new horse traders. My 100Mbps connection has never gone above 75, and a lot of people get a quarter of that.

Adding 1600km to a path doesn’t sound like a latency reduction.

1600km? Doesn’t it depend on the medium? Laser through vacuum has got to be faster than laser through fiber.

Light is about 1/3rd faster in space than in the fiber widely used (there are new fiber optics that are essentially the same speed as in a vacuum).

@Code-Beta1234
As an atheist you need not worry about Dennis Wilson’s lamentable slideshow. He does nothing more than present scientific info mixed without explanation with unsubstantiated theist arguments for ‘fine tuning’ dressed up in a ‘rare earths’ disguise and Bible quotes. I thought he might have been referring to that special group of elements on the Periodic table and was looking forward to an interesting rant. Disappointed yet again. He shamelessly uses scientific information and then just offers the usual Bible glasses interpretations of Ken Ham. As Random says “Its bollocks!”
As a sci-fi fan there is no joy for you. Dennis’s faith won’t permit aliens.
Frankly I find Dennis Wilson more offensive than Kevin ‘Bloody’ Wilson who is at least more entertaining than a pointless cunt of a slide show.

The signal has to travel that extra 400km, 4 times.

eta: From your dish to a satellite. Then from the satellite to some other ground dish near your destination. Then the response has to travel back to the satellite, then back down to you.

I think they have deployed only 1 modified satellite.

Nope - completely disagree. Such a generalization. BECAUSE other species are more “worthy”? How exactly? BECAUSE there wasn’t any foreknowledge of effects? Let’s all just STOP :stop_sign: doing anything because of insert - ohhhhh evil humans, begone!

Hahahahaha. Nope. Don’t buy this sweeping statement of us not having a place on this earth nor that the “earth” would be better off without us.

That’s Ok. My position is that of misanthrope. I don’t accept that as a species, we’re anything special. No, other species are not more worthy.But neither are they less worthy.

I don’t like human beings as a species, but quite like some individuals. Most people here seem like good eggs, but I think y’all are atypical.

I assert that what matters is life, all life. Not simply sentient life. We are destroying not only our own species, but countless others.

Of course this just an opinion,I can’t prove it. Agree/ disagree, don’t care.

Sorry,still cranky this morning (It’s 0815 and cold) Have already been for a periodic blood test .My washing machine carked it yesterday .10 years old, so not worth forking out to fix it . A new one, around $1300

Holy fuck -
Yah if I had to dole out that much :yen: I’d be like “fuck off hooo-mans “

1 Like

Yair.

July 30. Have had an expensive month;

New blinds for inside; $4600, not installed yet, custom made. . Now the fucking washing machine. .

It’s a bloody good thing I like new things or I’d I’d be flying into a perfect tizzy about now**

**Cranky’s four stages of anger: Miffed, peeved, perfect tizzy and homicidal. Was last homicidal in 1964. Hit a bloke at work with a chair. Lost my job. I was 17.

Thank fuck there are no chairs here in AR. :flushed:

I don’t think we’ll be getting that technology here any time soon. Australia’s national broadband network (NBN) is mostly built on a fiber to the node architecture, with copper linking nodes to homes. In rural New Zealand, where we’ll be moving in a few months, it’s mostly 4G wifi.

First, I’ll address the humour. :slight_smile:

Kevin Bloody Wilson provided me with this little gem:

Now, time for the serious material. You have been warned …

First of all, “fine-tuning” is a myth. We are here because the laws of physics permitted our appearance, and the relevant physically permitted interactions took place. That is IT. “Fine-tuning” is nothing more than hubristic presumption of “specialness” taken to Spinal Tap 11. I’m aware of scientific papers demolishing this nonsense wholesale. One establishes that stellar nucleosynthesis and organic chemistry would remain essentially unchanged, if certain physical constants differed from their current measured values, in some cases by up to five orders of magnitude, and as a corollary, we could exist in any universe with those values. The other paper establishes that, wait for it, it’s possible to subtract the weak nuclear force from the four fundamental known forces of nature, and again, stellar nucleosynthesis and organic chemistry would remain essentially unchanged. Makes one wonder why there’s an entirely superfluous fundamental force of nature present if the universe was “designed” for us, doesn’t it?

If need be, I can bring those papers here, in detail.

2 Likes

Obviously spoke to me! Don’t understand the fuck why???

Nah…I figured this out when I was a kid (but out of survival had to shut the thought down) when we’d pray at supper and thank Jehovah for the meal :shallow_pan_of_food:…