Favorite question for theists

That’s an interesting thought:

Reminds me of Asimov’s short story where humans in the future put a computer in Hyperspace, and ask it; can entropy be reversed? “The Last question”

tbh sometimes i think the thing we call God is actually some 9 year old kid playing a simulation game where our universe is the simulation. He just send too many religious books to troll us and make us fight over them

AND the kid is replaying history (pandemic, Europe, abortion laws, economic) just for fun.

Reminds me of John Constantine’s " God is a kid with an ant Farm"

Reminds of the Sims 4 lmao :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I have my prepared line ready for anyone who expresses a desire to “pray for me”.

On ho, please do not pray. God has a plan, and if you pray you are going against god’s wishes and we could be cast into hell.

4 Likes

“Can you make deals with God the way you can with the devil? I want to be a millionaire like Donald Trump!”

In my world a deal with the devil is EXACTLY the same as a deal with god.

So have at making deals with either that pleases you.

Interesting story Tin.
I too had a persistent JW when I was in my twenties (forty plus years ago) who would come by my house in the country and I would keep him talking for long periods of time. My wife was quite irritated by these people (still is) and she would ask me why I would continue to entertain conversations with him given my complete rejection of their beliefs. Although it might sound arrogant, my response was that I was far better equipped to neutralize him than someone else he might prey on. I could keep him talking with no prospect whatsoever of converting me to his nonsensical belief system. This went on for quite some time until I ran out of innocuous things to say and I clearly offended and shocked him into never returning.
I never try to offend these people, but they always take offense when I ask them questions of logic. I almost always have to remind them that they came to me. I am not aware of any atheists that proselytize uninvited.

1 Like

Same here. I don’t seek to offend them. And when I ask them questions, I do so in a manner that conveys, “Hey, I sincerely want your honest input.” And while the two guys I dealt with never seemed to get offended, it was obvious they were uncomfortable with the questions I aked and the points I made. In some ways, I even felt a little bad for them at times.

And just like your wife, my wife asked me the same question. “Why do you bother talking with them?” Being that I’m retired, I have (had) plenty of spare time. (Before my grandson was born.) So for me it was cheap entertainment and a chance to practice/sharpen my debate skills. Also, maybe I was able to plant a seed or two of doubt. Who knows? But I enjoyed it, nonetheless. I really do miss their visits sometimes.

I can relate. I have had opportunities in the last year to talk to young Mormons and of course I treat them respectfully and try to seize the chance to plant some seeds as well. When I approach the conversations with genuine interest in what they believe and why, generally it sets the stage for introducing a shred of introspection into a mind ordered by conditioning and deprivation of analytical thought. I also employ one of the methods they are taught prior to going on their “missions” , namely putting on a positive, upbeat, friendly persona. I am under no illusions of deconversion for them as it is rare for a single conversation to accomplish such.
I have a nearby neighbor who is Mormon and I have remained on a friendly basis with him despite my adamant declarations of my lack of belief in the entirety of his religion.

2 Likes

I have two ways of dealing with the door knockers.

First approach is to ask them about the coloured sticks that purportedly control genetics. At some point I should video the “rabbit stare into the headlights” response this elicits :slight_smile:

Second approach is to subject them to a two hour lecture on the sex lives of invertebrates. That one is particularly funny when you deploy it against the JWs. Some of them leave skid marks on exit. :smiley:

2 Likes

I sometimes think, after an encounter with someone that “knows” god wants them to go into the community and spread the good word, maybe I should put together a road show for my belief system. This thought is accompanied by visions of the vitriol I would receive when I knocked on a door to announce they would understand the world better if they would allow me to explain the world as I see it.

In the end I guess my dislike of people that do this leads me to pass on the entertainment of actually doing it. I guess the satisfaction of seeing a JF struggle to understand and respond to one of my standard questions will have to do.

I like some of your thinking shared on this thread, unfortunately I have not watched enough AAron Ra to enter into a discussion of invertebrate sex lives. :smile:

Tracy Harris at the end of a dialogue about child rape with a theist caller, said “That’s the difference between me and your god, I’d always prevent a child being raped if I could.”

As one liners go, it is a devastating argument against a perfectly merciful deity, and especially an omnipotent and omniscient one.

6 Likes