Does Lori Vallow Daybell belong in prison?

Wilderness Therapy? :thinking: Uh, would that be something along the lines of taking violent offenders and/or the criminally insane and dropping their asses off in the middle of a remote wilderness area butt-ass naked with zero tools or supplies? Transport them by helicopter, blindfolded, in the middle of winter. If they make it back to civilization, they are free. :thinking:ā€¦ I like it. Sounds fair to me. Or, uh, am I way off base with that guess?

2 Likes

I would be fine if someone did that to me even if Iā€™m not a criminal.

As Iā€™ve gotten older, I have really started to dislike people in general. I am more comfortable in the boondocks than I am around crowds. I often go on minimalist excursions just to get away from people.

1 Like

Safe to say weā€™re not talking about the same thing. The ones Iā€™m talking about are part of the poorly regulated and huge troubled teen industry. Utah in particular has embraced it. They have the ā€œbreak you down to build you back upā€ mind set. The goal is to break you. The people who run them have few qualifications to do so. Thereā€™s often little to no medical care, including for mental health. Everyone is considered a liar who is faking any medical problems. Survivors have formed a lobby trying to at least get them to have more oversight. It appears to be an uphill battle.

That does pretty much describe some of the programs. Only picture scared troubled and/or mentally ill young teens with sadistic ā€œcounselorsā€ who can do what they want because theyā€™re 100 miles from anywhere.

1 Like

Eekā€¦ Yeah, Iā€™ve heard of those. Have to say Iā€™m not a fan of that for troubled teens. Big difference, in my opinion, between troubled teens and hardened violent criminals/pedophiles. Although, it sounds like some of those ā€œcounsellorsā€ you described could be potential candidates for MY variety of Wilderness Training. :grin:

1 Like

Actually, Iā€™m with you on that. Iā€™m not much of a social person either. Other than my close family and friends, people in general annoy the piss out of me most of the time. Wouldnā€™t bother me at all to live away from the general public. Although, I would personally have to object to being dropped off naked in the middle of winter, blindfolded with no provisions. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

They wouldnā€™t have wanted to do that to me when I was a kid. I would have set up booby traps, LOL

2 Likes

I put one of my kids through a 21 day Outward Bound trip when she was about 13. It made a big difference in her lifeā€¦for the better.

2 Likes

Uh, how about naked in the middle of summer,
wearing Foster Grants, and packing beef jerky and a couple of Butterfingers?
Edit (itā€™s just my nature)

2 Likes

From your tin lips to godā€™s non existent ear.

4 Likes

I agree. There is a difference between an outward bound trip for a kid . . . and using the wilderness for isolation and psychological torture to break a child psychologically.

The ā€œbreak you down to build you back upā€ routine has more to do with Stockholm Syndrome than honest discipline.

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.vice.com/en/article/vbzexd/how-christian-reform-schools-get-away-with-brutal-child-abuse&ved=2ahUKEwj5idXq-suAAxX4LUQIHbU1DEoQxfQBKAB6BAgHEAI&usg=AOvVaw0jfwPQiUuSf-Odjd_sTHWf

I referred several kids to that program, with positive responses. I also used a program in Big Bear, CA. I donā€™t remember its name. It was really expensive and used by rich families in Newport Beach, CA. Kids were constantly running away. Big Bear City was only three miles away. The highway was just a half mile away. Regardless of the program, keeping angry and oppositional kids on the site was not an easy goal.

1 Like

Actually sounds pretty good. But, of course, it depends on what type of beef jerky.

2 Likes

Actually, that ā€œbreak down/build upā€ is a (necessary) routine more for grown adults who VOLUNTEER for the military. It is NOT the best way to handle disturbed and mentally challenged teens. (Again, just my opinion.)

2 Likes

Agree 100%. Itā€™s difficult for me to even discuss such things without getting angry.

My parents always threatened to have me ā€œput awayā€ in a home because of my autism. The belief is that if Iā€™m smart enough to graduate school, then Iā€™m smart enough to know how to not be autistic, so Iā€™m autistic on purpose.

They were angry because they sent me to things like this, and when my autism wasnā€™t fixed, itā€™s because I didnā€™t try harder to get better.

Like an addict who keeps relapsing after being sent to rehab a bunch of times.

The courts found that Jeffrey Dahmer was sane; after that I assume everyone will be.

3 Likes

Geez, what a horrible thing to say to a kid. If itā€™s any consultation at all, they likely just didnā€™t understand you werenā€™t deliberately trying to thwart them and were frustrated. The ignorance defense.
The 7 year old son JJ that Lori murdered was autistic. Another fine example of parenting. He was probably just in the way of her ā€œmissionā€ to lead godā€™s chosen during the end times. Her daughter Tylee was 16 and likely just knew too much.

1 Like

Thank you for the validation, and I agree with you that the 16 year old probably knew too much.

Iā€™ve started to become more and more disgusted with people as Iā€™ve gotten older.

4 Likes

Hahahaā€¦sorry, but that was like you had strolled through my head for a secondā€¦

2 Likes

The problem is, the older you get, the more intelligent you become. You are one of the rare breed who had continued learning. Evidenced by the fact that you have joined us here. Remember 50% of the population think they are smarter than the average. LOL

Thatā€™s a bell-shaped curve joke.

3 Likes