Christian Burial

While walking along the sidewalk in front of his church, our minister heard the intoning of a prayer that nearly made his collar wilt. His 5-year-old son and his playmates had found a dead robin. Feeling that proper burial should be performed, they secured a small box and cotton batting, then dug a hole and made ready for the disposal of the deceased.
The minister’s son was chosen to say the appropriate prayers and with sonorous dignity intoned his version of what he thought his father always said: ‘Glory be unto the Father, and unto the Son, and into the hole he goes.’ (I want this line used at my funeral!)

1 Like

In the name of the father, the son, and into the hole he goes. Dave Allen- Mullis Partners

I don’t want a Christian burial. They can cremate me and put my ashes in a bowl of chilly in a soup kitchen for the homeless to dine on for all I care.

2 Likes

I was swerious considering donating my body to a medical school.

My only issue is that there were stories of bodies being sold by medical schools to the military so they can test grenades, mines, etc…

I would be fine with my body being used to educate doctors . . . but not being used to develop and refine weapons.

I like the idea of donating my body, because I think that funeral expenses are a stupid waste.

I also like the idea of having my body cryonically frozen. Not neccesarily because I hope to be brought back to life (although it might be nice), but I think that cryonics may help the human race. There have been times when frozen bodies and tissues have led to medical advancement.

As an example, Spanish flu victims were buried in the arctic permafrost in 1918. These frozen corpses were recently disinterred, and the tissues were examined with modern technology, and researchers were able to recreate the 1918 flu virus and figure out why it was so deadly, and how to create a vaccine.

I see cryonics as a way to preserve a vast library of frozen corpses that will give future researchers a way to follow, track, and understand how diseases evolve and change over time.

Also, people survive biopsies all the time . . . so removing a sample from a frozen corpse does not preclude reviving the body later, so we can have our cake and eat it, too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://archive.cdc.gov/www_cdc_gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html&ved=2ahUKEwjugbnk6ayHAxXuTDABHVgqAvQQFnoECCIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw11hSRYstyDmtYRrWmJbQne

Ideally, I want to run off into the mountains, find a cave, crawl into it, die, and have some sort of timer set to detonate an explosive device and bury me. (That is my fantasy.) I’m probably okay with dropping dead in a forest. I imagine, as long as I need to plan my own death, I am going to plan a cremation. Just wheel me down to the mortuary, stick me in the cheapest cardboard box you can find, cart me over to the furnace and give me a toss. No fuss, no muss. I came into the world without a splash and I will exit the same way. (Hopefully.)

1 Like

I’d like to be put on a rocket and launched on a trajectory to escape the solar system. Maybe an advanced alien civilization will find me in a few million years and reanimate me.