Can atheist have close friendships with the devoutly religious?

Had to share … the main tenet of Jehovah’s Witnesses…

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/children/become-jehovahs-friend/songs/83-from-house-to-house/

You have to listen to the song :joy:

Sometimes true to an extent, but as far as I can tell, untrue as a general principle.

Demonstration of my claim is to simply observe the behaviour of the Christians around you. Christians and atheists both show that hypocrisy is part of the human condition. Neither the most sublime spiritual beliefs nor the most refined humanist ideals changes that simple fact, imo.

1 Like

I have always considered proselytising to be a demonstration of hubris and pig ignorance of the first water.

JW’s have not knocked on my door ever since I had words with the last one to do so several years ago----

There is a sticker on my front door, put out by the South Australian Legal Service Commission: It has a drawing of a knuckle knocking. It’s enclosed by a circle with a red border and has a thick black line going through it. Underneath in large font is “NO SALES PEOPLE”

I pointed out the sigh to the JW and asked if he had seen it. He allowed that he had. I said; “it applies to you mate, you’re selling religion and I don’t want any” ,and closed the door.

1 Like

This question lingered in my mind all week.

Personally, I don’t have any devote religious friends. In fact, I have only one best friend,
some close friends and then a whole shit-ton of “acquaintances”.

These acquaintances are people I recognize, say “hi” to, smile and nod at… very superficial, social manner dictated interactions with.

For myself, no (to your question).

For me to have a deep meaningful relationship with anyone there has to be a meeting of the minds. Not an agreement on everything (lol, that’s NOT how my mind works or categorizes groups and friends) - but how that person reaches their decisions in reality, how accepting they are, how imaginative they are, curious, funny, and most importantly, self-aware.

I haven’t found this criteria met (to my satisfaction) in anyone who is devotedly religious.

1 Like

PRAIST THE LORD! THANK YOU JESUS!
And now I have to write a fucking complete sentence so the damn thing will post.

1 Like

My nextdoor neighbor of almost 29 years, who is a Catholic Christian, we are good friends, so yeah.

What do you get when you cross a JW with a bikie?
Someone who nocks on your door and tells you to fuck off…

You speak with your neighbours? Really.

I’ve met the people on the western side of my house, and wave to them whenever I see them. Haven’t met the new people in the McMansion on the eastern side, but they’ve only been there about 3 years… Haven’t met any of the other 15 families in the street but also wave to them as I drive by…

Me? Oh, I’ve been here 30 years this November. I may have mentioned that I have the social skills of a house plant. Meeting people is excruciating for me and I hate crowds.

1 Like

What is a “bikie?” - I really want to laugh or chuckle :face_with_hand_over_mouth: BUT I can’t link the two…

I just wave and nod… perhaps smile slightly.

All my neighbors are fucking crazy.

Bikie refers to a motorcycle club member.
I have only heard the term ‘bikie’ used by Australians.(Since I replied to boomer47 I thought I would use the local term)

A more relatable substitute might be Hells Angel :grinning:

:blush:. Now I chuckled :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Pictured @mr.macabre

@boomer47 I actually do…an whenever she needs me, I help her out. We rarely discuss religion and politics, and have great relations. Neither religion nor politics keeps us from being good neighbors.

The term is used in Australia as a pejorative. It generally refers to outlaw gangs of people who ride motor bikes. Some clubs have been officially labelled that way.
Not to be confused with bik-ers, who are simply people who ride motor bikes and are not associated with criminal activity. Pretty sure Hell’s Angels have/had at least one chapter in Oz.

“So-called “outlaw” bikie gangs have had a very visible presence in many places throughout Australia since the 1950s, and several laws have been specifically prompted by their actions.”

In BC “Hell’s Angels” were the big one in the Okanagan. They lived to torture the locals and often terrorize other motorists.

This was in the 70s. It’s changed much since then.

I fell once and skinned my knee so bad, I was taken to emergency in Kelowna. To make a long story short, a cowboy was taken in by ambulance thoroughly beaten (clothes mashed into skin) and unrecognizable in facial features. He was in a detached/self preservation delusional state and felt no pain - wanted to go home.

A group of Angels went to the local rodeo and were fucking with the livestock. A few cowboys started to rope them off their bikes. One cowboy got “caught”.

I’ve only met a few real cowboys, but they struck me as pretty damn tough people. One on one I’d have bet on them in most fights. In 1969 the Rolling Stones management hired the Hell’s Angels for security at a concert in California. Four people died. The wolves guarding the sheep.

I definitely look the part, can’t afford the bike.

I owned a motorbike for about 3 minutes whilst in Malaysia in 1969.A geriatric BSA 250 cc. Lots of torque once it got wound up and was just peachy—unless it fell over. Then it took two blokes and a crane to put it into an upright position.

My mate and I were visiting a local village. One of our Malay friends asked if he could ride the bike around the yard. Sure, but don’t take it onto the road. A few minutes later we realised we could not hear the bike. The moron had taken it onto the road. Another ten minutes passed. A kid came running in “JOSEF MATI!!” (Josef is dead)—no helmet, he gunned it, failed to take the first corner and hit a light pole. He was killed instantly.

Continue to admire the beauty of bikes up to today, but never got on one again.

1 Like

I’ve been married to an Atheist for 13 years. Most of what I say is bullshyte. But this is true. We have a very functional co-dependent relationship.

Of the three assertions made, I can ,without a doubt, believe at least one.

1 Like