Burning Churches ⛪️ “normal” expression?

Indeed.

That matches my own views. I do not support the ‘great man/woman’ view of history. IE on such a date, X caused Y to happen.

My view is that history is continuum. The pitifully inadequate approximation of how we view history is because records are not usually kept by ordinary people. Those who do the work and the dying for causes. Those who keep our societies functioning and introducing constant change.

Arguably, the history of the Second World War, with the Holocaust is the most thoroughly documented period in human history. Part of the reason is documents and photographic and film records. Plus Yad Vashem in Israel and
the USC Shoah foundation, founded by Steven Spielberg, which have recorded the testimony of thousands of Holocaust survivors.

1 Like

Indeed.

Have you heard about the Nazi show village of ‘Theresienstadt’ ? It was there that they showed the Red Cross how well they treated ‘their’ Jews. No one thought to ask why such a reassurance was necessary.

The Nazis forced a great German-Jewish film stat and director Kurt Gerron to make an obscenely hypocritical documentary about the camp. As soon as the film was produced, Gerron and every resident, man, woman, child were sent to Auschwitz where they were gassed.

There is an excellent but very confronting documentary called “Prisoner of Paradise”

Not sure if the link below if the right one, but it’s narrated by Ian Holm, so might be.

((((((((((((((((((((((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sad Trivia; German-Jewish actor Peter Lorre was a friend of Gerron and begged him to leave Germany for America while he could. Gerron did not and was murdered in the holocaust.

This was the propaganda film used that I was searching for (but failed).

In the view of current times, I have read the question “How did this happen” (in Canada). I have read arrogant and ignorant comments from fellow citizens such as “If I lived then (or knew), I would have rescued those children” or “Only a few died. They were fed, clothes, housed and educated”… “It was only a few bad apples in the church that caused this…” and of course, “political finger pointing” (which, btw, hasn’t been effective as all the government parties took turns maintaining this policy and arrangement). The (fortunately) minority of these types of comments are countered by many. This is positive.

Again, our indigenous First Nations are processing this in a manner that (IMO) deserves respect. Not many civilizations have survived through what our First Nations have experienced (as a people).

Some use this recent re-remembering as a platform to distrust “all”. Another “reason” to perpetuate hatred of the other (pick the poison, they were all involved)…yet somehow escape the self-reflection.

It is estimated that at the time Columbus discovered the Americas, the population in the Americas was equal to the population in Europe. There is an impression that the Americas was sparsely populated, and that the indigenous peoples lacked history, music, and other signs of culture. Nothing could be as wrong.

1 Like

LOL… The indigenous population of America -----

1 Like

Just watched it, it was very good, though a little depressing. What’s that saying, “the more things change, the more they stay the same.”

Tyrants and despots will likely be replaced by global commercial concerns. In some parts of the world anyway.

Nope. Too late. A history of “commercial interests” as tyrannical dictatorships. They operate often outside of a countries’ laws and taxation- rely upon various countries’ naval to keep the trade routes safe. International conglomerates use the world globally (strengths and weaknesses) to their own advantage and only “provide” for the interests of the consumer. The consumer’s dollars are what drives any form of accountability and the now “environmental or green” label (vital for gaining consumer dollars). As with the politicians or policies - it is a voter or citizen that the politician seduces (the paid prostitute of lobbyists). Suppressing voters and voices. This technique has been sold to some in various guises. Usually - “it’s all controlled anyway”; “your vote doesn’t matter! It’s always rigged and predetermined” “the bad guys run both parties so don’t be stupid” - etc. YET the importance of voting is emphasized when the faithful in Churches are called upon to support “their candidate” (for restoring the USA back to its Christian roots)… their candidate is the truthful one :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Watching it (based on the recommendation)… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. WOW who knew you’d need “fear of others” for people to look for a strong authoritarian presence??? Things/groups to “blame”??? Hateful speeches (to tap into the base expression of fear)??? Symbols for “unity” and “chants”, for unity (lol). A narcissistic dick that will have a formed loyal group (or family) … hahahahaha

Hmmm :thinking: I wonder how is the power held??? sarcasm can hardly wait to find out as the goose-stepping down-trodden and oppressed in support of their dear “father” figure show the country “who’s boss!”…

Edited to add: ritual humiliation (hahahaha) fuckin’ hilarious
Only those who accept the idea of shame can be humiliated. Those who covet their “reputations” are fodder.

Originally in French I think “Plus ca change ,plus c’est meme chose” (sorry I don’t know how to do accents)

No one knows how many aborigines were in Australia at first contact .

Some scholars argue first contact was probably from SE Asia, centuries before the first European to discover Australia. That was Willem Janzoon, Dutch. In 1606 he charted about 600km along cape York Peninsular . That’s in far North Queensland, where S E Asian sailors probably made first contact long before.

Estimates for the numbers of aborigines here at first contact range from 300,000 to 3 million. At that time, Aborigines had been here from between 50,000 to 60,000 years. That makes their culture the most successful in human history.

It was discovered that there were aboriginal trade routes from Cape York in Northern Queensland, through the centre , to as far west as Cape Leeuwin, at the southernmost point on the Australian mainland.

Of course the Brits arrogantly declared the continent to be terra nullius. IE vacant of human beings.

As far as I can tell, all imperial powers ranging from The British to the Americans have without exception, fucked over the existing inhabitants of land they stole***.

To anyone who denies the US has been an imperial power for at least 2 years, I recommend comparing a political map of the US and territories at the beginning of the twentieth century with a Map drawn up in 1800.

2 Likes