Believers irritate me

Nah. Based on other stuff I read from him, it would have been too easy. Thank you, White, for saving me from boredom. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s hilarious seeing you post this bigoted, homophobic garbage, in the light of the fact that [1] homosexuality was actually legal in the former Soviet Union (and only became illegal in Russia when Vladimir Putin pushed the requisite laws at the behest of the Russian orthodox Church), and [2] all the available data points to violent, homicidal homophobia being a feature of right-wing dictatorships with intimate ties to militant versions of Christianity.

Sorry, but 10 seconds of words out of a Bible-thumper’s fat mouth can be so negative and destructive that it REQUIRES a response to counteract it. That is the difference between an atheist who "moves on’ and an antitheist who reacts.

2 Likes

That is a good point, but I wish to offer my interpretation on how to navigate life. I pick and choose my battles, I do not get triggered at every offense, and I understand that hatred and resentments are like a cancer, they can cause injury to one.

Please allow me to expand a bit on what Dave said about choosing your battles. It’s all a matter of circumstances, dude. It’s situational. Yes, everybody here is well aware of how ridiculous and how detrimental religion can be. But getting all torqued out of whack with your panties in a wad every time somebody says, “God bless you,” when you sneeze is simply ludicrous. Or getting your blood pressure up just because somebody says, “I’ll pray for you,” in a genuine attempt to be comforting. What is the point in getting mad? I cannot understand that.

And even when an individual IS trying to be a “holier-than-thou” dick, WHY GET MAD? Personally, it amuses the shit out of me whenever somebody tries that nonsense. Causes a huge grin to spread across my face. Why? Because that person has nothing to use against me. I am FREE of the delusions. I am FREE from the brainwashing. There is absolutely nothing that person can say to make me feel uncomfortable or cause me to doubt myself. On the flip side, though, there are MANY things I can say to make that individual VERY uncomfortable, and I have gotten pretty good at planting seeds of doubt. But how much do you think they will pay attention if I am turning red in the face, getting aggressive, and spouting off in a tantrum? Doing that would simply reinforce their preconceived perception of “atheists”, and my words would be dismissed no matter how much I was making sense. However, if I’m smiling and polite and speaking nicely when I ask them questions, it totally throws them off balance, especially when they cannot answer my questions and all my statements make rational sense. I stroll away casually with my hands in my pockets while whistling a happy tune. They walk away in uncertainty, scratching their heads in confusion and wondering what happened. It’s FUN! :blush:

Basically, I spent waaaaaaaay too many years of my life getting my blood pressure up by being angry and confused and uncertain and even a little frightened about religion. Not gonna waste anymore anger on it from now on unless it is absolutely necessary.

2 Likes

David, I DO “get triggered at every offense”. Shouldn’t everyone? You are free to look the other way when immoral acts are committed, but that is not what morality demands that we do and neither does our legal system. So, speak for yourself.

Humanism is what I stand for and stand by.

Tin-man, I am happy for you that you have found a way to avoid "getting all torqued out of whack with your panties in a wad, every time somebody says, “God bless you”. And I’m glad you’re able to control your blood pressure, when somebody says “I’ll pray for you”. But I’m not like that. My priority is not my blood pressure or the condition of my “panties”. I’m not a hedonist—I am a humanist.

I get upset when I see innocent animals abused, let alone innocent humans. So I make no apologies for betting upset and bothered when I witness religion deliberately, systematically, and relentlessly inflicting harm on innocent people—century after century after century. It does make my blood boil.

Surprisingly

, my doctor reports that I have “the blood pressure of a teenager”.Well, no wonder: I am one of the very few lucky people on Earth (7%) who has escaped the stranglehold of religious indoctrination. I don’t worry about burning alive in a lake of fire for all eternity. I don’t perceive myself as a “worthless sinner who needs salvation”. I was smart enough to see through the bs of Christianity when I was a subjected to 7 years in a private Catholic school with nuns and priests hammering m with their Bronze Age superstitions. The exhilaration I felt when my mind “woke up” to reality is indescribably life changing. To this day, many years later, nothing gives me greater joy than the prospect of waking up another indoctrinated mind and setting it free. That is all I want. Nothing gives me greater joy than demolishing the curse of religion. That is what’s good for my blood pressure! Ha.

We need to arrive at a common definition of “offense”.

Should I beat the crap out of a stranger who inadvertently bumps me while walking down the street?

It is my opinion that the level of “offense” should receive the same proportion of “triggering”. But I am an old fart who can proclaim “been there, done that”, and I learned the hard way that if you react to every slight, you will live a very unhappy life.

2 Likes

My offense mechanism is at my work place when a Christian walks in talking about the usual superstitious bullshit; Homer Simpson just pops into my head screaming like an alarm or like Spider Man’s spider sense when it tingles.

1 Like

I once worked in a cubicle farm. One of my co-workers was a devout Muslim, and a few times each day he took out his rug, faced in the correct direction, and did his prayer thing. One day as I walked past he had just finished and was rolling up his rug. I casually said “nice rug, it ties the room together”.

For myself any mention of miracle and this pops into my head…

I already have a very a happy life, in spite of organized religion—which is the major cause for so much unhappiness. So anything I do, or say, that helps to eliminate religion from my life, can only make my life all the more happy.

I like it. Too bad about the heterosexual part. You’d make a good bear.

FYI. I’m a six foot tall, 250 lbs security worker for a high profile client. I DO have a pair of handcuffs which I’m authorized to use on the job or in the bedroom. It’s up to you 🤷

1 Like