Atheists Favorite Books

I was wondering my fellow Atheists out there what are some of your favorite books?

Here are mine:

Ulysses
The Great Gatsby
The Catcher in The Rye
Wuthering Heights
Moby Dick
A Clockwork Orange
Critique of Pure Reason
The Art of Motorcycle Maintence
Brave New World
The Illad
The Book of the Law
The Ego and the Id
The Prince
The Republic
Flatworld
Atlas Shrugged
The Satanic Bible
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Maltese Falcon
The Godfather
Marquise De Sade: Selected Writings
The God Delusion

2 Likes

Hmmm… Okay, I’ll play. Although, it should be noted that I’m not sure what atheism has to do with my reading preferences. Just sayin’…

Anyway, in no particular order…

• Any of Tom Clancy’s “Jack Ryan” series
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Catcher in the Rye
  • Quite a few Stephen King books
  • Lee Child’s “Jack Reacher” series
  • Pretty much any Michael Crichton book
  • Ender’s Game
  • Most all of Robert Heinlein’s works
  • Stephen Coonts has some great stories
  • The “Hannibal Lecter” series by Thomas Harris
  • Arthur C. Clarke’s “Space Odyssey” series, and a few others
  • The DaVinci Code
  • “Old Man’s War” by John Scalzi

There are multiple other books/arthors I enjoy, of course. These are just the ones off the top of my head.

All/anything by E.A. Poe, HP Lovecraft, or Brian Lumley.

I don’t know if I have any favourite books above all others, but here is a random selection of some books I at some point have enjoyed a lot, each in their own way, and for different reasons:

Obligatory fiction:

• The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  • The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Iliad
  • The Odyssey

Other fiction (couldn’t be bothered to consult my bookshelf, so this is half-arsed):

Non-fiction (I mostly read non-fiction; OP didn’t specify it had to be fiction):

Awesome books guys!

Yes I was a fan of those some of those books too.

Lord Of The rings,
Tom Clancy,
Lord of Flies
Steven King’s Novels
Hannibal Lector … yep → watching Silence of the Lambs with wife as I post lol :slight_smile:
Micheal Crichton
Davinci Code
Edgar Allen Poe → actually blood related to the guy. I brought in proof to my classmates as a kid:)
HP Lovecraft

Yes great books guys wow!

Seems we have a lot in common :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t even begin… However; I will say this; along with every book I read, I am constantly referencing an encyclopedia, a dictionalry, an etymology source, or some kind of reference source.

I am currently re-reading Stranger in a Strange Land.

Damn… with a name like Crazy Daisy… I beel like I am missing out on something good.

I don’t know how I forgot to put LORD OF THE RINGS on my list, amazing book.

Did you scare another one away? I would swear you are the scarecrow and not one of the flying monkeys.

Hey there

I am struggling a bit with stuff, years after an AVM brain bleed, so can, at times, be self conscious. I know I should persist but get frustrated.

Yes I composed a list of favourite books but something went wrong and I left it. Growing up in a dysfunctional household my refuge was my books and I really wanted to include a selection.
Maybe I will try again.

Am really enjoying others lists.

Thanks a bunch.

If you reference Dark Lover; I really sat back and waited on that one. If you are referencing Crazy Daisy it’s not my fauly gossip has scared her away. That warning Tin attached to the welcome page probably had something to do with it. “If you see the chimpanzee, don’t touch his banana and run away.” No wonder people are freaking out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a long, green, stiff, banana. You just keep it in a warm place and it will turn soft and yellow after a bit. Nothing to be afraid of. And bananas are great after meals, before breakfast, for short little snacks any time of the day. I always carry my banana with me just in case I need a quicky and I am always willing to share it whenever I meet someone new. Now, I ask you, what is to fear in any of that?

1 Like

With so many similar books we like it is no wonder that my personality is very similar to those on this forum. Similar books we like means therefore very similar personality and interests. We really do have a lot in common after all.

Fallacy: A hasty generalization is a claim based on a few examples rather than substantial proof.

You will find very few people on this site with similar personalities. Specific interests do not a personality make. The assumption of sameness without specific evidence is the logic of a stalker.

Hey, I just thought of a book that somehow reminds me of DarkLover…

“The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde

Just sort of popped into my head for some odd reason. Not exactly sure why. Strange, huh?

1 Like

Look, the way I see it, you should be THANKING me. By putting that warning and disclaimer out there, the AR (including YOU) cannot be held liable for any - uhhhh…- any “mishaps” that might result from those who do not heed said warning. Not sure how that makes ME the bad guy here. You’re welcome, by the way… (walking away grumbling to self)… nobody appreciates the shit I do around here…

Gee Tin, I never thought of it that way before. It’s obvious you have my best interests at heart, not that I would ever accept personal responsibility for the dipshits tha cross my path anyway (I seem to have an immunity to that.) but I do appreciate the fact that we are in the same banana tree on this one. I will even give you a banana as an offereing of peace. I soaked it in oil for you.

1 Like

…(sniffle-sniffle)… Gee, you really mean it? Gosh, somebody actually cares?.. (sniffle-sniffle)… Thanks bunches, Cog… (wiping tear drop from corner of eye)…

Well, shit. Now I have to make a choice.

A. Change my reading preferences.

Or,

B. Become a lawless, self-gratifying narcissistic sociopath who does whatever he pleases without regard to others.

Hmmm… :thinking::thinking::thinking:… Decisions, decisions… :thinking::thinking::thinking:… Aw, fuck it. Hey! Anybody got a coin I can flip?

Catcher in the Rye is good.

1 Like

I don’t particularly have favorite books, but I do have favorite authors.

Anne Rice
Dean Koontz
Robin Reardon
Terry Goodkind
V.C. Andrews

1 Like