Are the limits to human knowledge

I knew you were going to say that.

3 Likes

I have an idea that argues that there is a limit to how much knowledge exists, if that helps.

A proton has a volume of about 2.5×10^-45.

The accessible Universe has a volume of about 3.57×10^80 cubic meters.

Now, we divide the volume of the Universe by the volume of a proton, and this gives us a very large number, or VLN.

Now, the volume of a proton can either be occupied by a subatomic particle, or it can be vacant. If occupied by a subatomic particle, that particle may be a proton, neutron, or electron. (there are many other particles such as muons, neutrinos, antiparticles, and so forth, but let us disregard them for now as negligible exceptions).

So, I argue that if we take the volume of a proton as having 4 states (empty, or occupied by either a proton, neutron, or electron), we can take a factorial of 4(VLN), which would describe every possible state that the Universe can demonstrate. This number can be written as (4×VLN)!

Please note that the exclaimation mark indicates different combinations, not the grammatical connotation that indicates astonishment, yelling, or shouting.

So . . . if we knew every possible state that the Universe can exist in, then there would likely be nothing left to know.

But wait!

In pure mathematics, numbers like pi and e are irrational, so how many decimal places they can be worked out to only depends upon patience and computing power.

So, to get a better answer, define the term “knowledge.” As far as pi goes, anything beyond 10^59 decimal places may be meaningless, because if we knew the diameter of the Universe with perfect accuracy, then using pi to 10^59 decimal places would mean that we are off by less than the Planck length.

There is nothing in my argument that discusses dark matter . . . but if we ever get to the Godlike stage of knowing what every possible state of the Universe is, then we will understand dark matter, and we will know what lies on the inside of a black hole.

And that is–I think–the end of all knowledge.

What is interesting about this argument is that many of these states of the Universe’s existence would entail a computer made out of the mass of the Universe, and each computation would represent a different state, so knowing every aspect of (4×VLN)! would also mean knowing every calculation possible by a computer constructed out of the entire mass of the Universe.

Obviously, we have a ways to go.

1 Like

Wonderful presentation, good sir… (polite golf-clap)… If I may, however, I would like to add that the calculation (4xVLN)! would naturally produce a ULN (Ungodly Large Number). Figured others might be interested in knowing that.

(Edit for proper decimal placement.)

1 Like

Actually, ULN would probably be godly, because only God would be able to know it, LOL.

2 Likes

@Kevin_Levites
It gets even weirder when you consider gravity. In a strange way gravity actually reduces the number of states (but not by much). It is because if you try to fill a (spherical) system of radius r with a particle that has mass (or energy) it will collapse to a black-hole of radius r long before you finish. If you add anymore after that, it just increases the radius of the black-hole; exceeding the starting radius.

3 Likes

I’m bumping this, as it is apropos, given that we are seeing the same “mind candy” offered as if both they and the subjective conclusions derived from them, are objective facts.

1 Like

We have finite brains that can hold finite knowledge. You delude yourself.

1 Like

Actually I’m pretty sure @Cognostic was using sarcasm.

2 Likes

No idea why this was directed at me. I am the one advocating for not knowing what is beyond the universe and asking for evidence of infinite regressions or gods of the gaps. The only person makiing any claims so far and been you.

2 Likes

Not even sure what he is referencing… but if you recognize it as sarcasm… I am betting you are spot on. LOL.

Yeah it was here:

The nose producing bananas was a bit of a giveaway… :grinning:

Any moron who does not recognize that as sarcasm, has got to be on the spectrum.

1 Like

For clarity - I’m sure he’s referring to the spectrum of theism

2 Likes

Some sort of spectrum anyway. I figured that was vague enough to cover all the bases.

2 Likes

@Lukang:

I appear to have acquired far more knowledge on relevant subjects than you. Which should be telling you something.

4 Likes

To be clear, was that sarcasm?

:innocent:

1 Like

But, but, how about your question?
Sarcasm? Rhetoric? Does one sarcastic comment or question get cancelled by another? Am I playing “answer a question with a question”?
Is there such a thing as a silent scream?

Edit ( answer the question or be subject to EIT)

1 Like

4 Likes

Eyes Scream