An acid test for religious claims

1: Give a science text book to a science teacher and ask the the teacher to interpret the text in the book, assuming the teacher teaches same subject as that in the book.
2: Give a religious book to a religious teacher and ask the teacher to interpret the text in that book, assuming the teacher teaches the content of that book.

We can easily guess the results of the test.

All teachers of the science text book will interpret the text in the book the same way. In the case of religious teachers, there will be as many interpretions as there are teachers.

It is funny that a book that is revealed in any manner by God is vague and inconsistent in many places, opposed to scientific facts, and full of contradictions. God should have known better.

1 Like

I like this one too:

Destroy all books about religion and science. A thousand years from now all of the science books will be the same as what we have now, but all the books on religion will be completely different.

5 Likes

Correct. Like the idea of destroying all books about religion.

So you would rid the world of some of the greatest works of literature on the planet? The Iliad and The Odyssey? Upanishads? Bhagavad Gita? Buddhist Sutras? Tao Te Ching? Egyptian Book of the Dead? Vedas? And then think of the religious thinkers who contributed to science. I think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I am reminded of the saying “Those who don’t know history are destined to repeat it.” I regard all religious texts as evidence for the evolution of mankind’s ability to grow and learn from its mistakes. It’s crazy the shit we believe. Even today. It is a struggle to maintain a rational mind. Destroying the examples of past irrationality and having no examples of past insanity, IMO, would be a big mistake.

1 Like

The situation is hypothetical. No one can get rid of all books about religion. Even if someone could, religion and fear of God will be there in the minds of lots of people and will remain so until the end of humanity. Literary value of many of those books are unquestionable, but that does not mean we should not imagine a world without certain religious books for which people are willing to die and kill. In that scenario, we may not be saving some greatest works of literature, but will be saving a large number of lives.

Instead, why not imagine a world where people just stop believing in nonsense that is not evidence-based? We could begin by teaching basic logic to students in school. But then… that would not only undermine religion, but government, and the entire capitalist economic system. YIKES! Where would we go from there?

5 Likes

Hmm, I’m guessing you’ve never read the book of Mormon, don’t read it aloud, as it may render others unconscious.

I must concur with Cog on this one, you fight bad ideas with better ideas, not with censorship.

2 Likes

I’ve never thought of it like that. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly… I think we could do without that one? LOL… And what about the other great story… “:The Life and Times of Lord Xenu?”

2 Likes