AI Generated debate starter

Hello all I am very introverted and I have a hard time communicating my thoughts more than a few short one liners. If I go farther than that I tend to stray off into spite and cynicism. So I’ve been using chatGPT artificial intelligence to help me communicate. So I thought I’d start us a fresh debate thread using Artificial Intelligence to get it started if anyone is interested.

Atheism vs Theism

Would your write a forum post for me to start a unique debate of atheism and theism

Sure! Here is a sample forum post to start a debate

Title: Atheism vs. Theism: A Deep Dive into the Endless Debate

Greetings everyone,

The debate between atheism and theism has been a topic of great interest for centuries, with both sides presenting compelling arguments and evidence to support their beliefs. As someone who has spent a significant amount of time exploring both atheism and theism, I wanted to take this opportunity to delve deeper into the topic and spark a discussion that might help shed light on which path is the right one to follow.

Atheism, in its simplest form, is the disbelief in the existence of a higher power, deity, or gods. Atheists argue that the world and its workings can be fully explained through natural causes and that the idea of a deity is simply a human invention. They argue that there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a higher power, and that relying on faith alone is not enough. In addition, they believe that the concept of a deity is often used to control and manipulate people and that it detracts from the responsibility individuals have to make their own decisions and shape their own lives.

On the other hand, theism is the belief in the existence of a higher power, deity, or gods. Theists argue that the complexity and intricacy of the world and the universe itself is evidence of a creator. They argue that the concept of a deity provides meaning and purpose to life, and that faith in a higher power can bring comfort and hope in times of difficulty and uncertainty. Additionally, theists often argue that the existence of a higher power can be felt and experienced through spiritual practices and a personal relationship with their deity.

The debate between atheism and theism has been ongoing for centuries and shows no signs of slowing down. Both sides have compelling arguments and evidence to support their beliefs, and it can be difficult to determine which is the right path. Some argue that both paths can coexist, and that individuals have the right to choose their own beliefs without fear of judgment or persecution.

In conclusion, the debate between atheism and theism is an endless one that has fascinated and divided people for centuries. Each path presents its own arguments and evidence, and it is up to individuals to decide which one they believe in. So, let’s start a respectful and meaningful discussion on this topic, and let’s see if we can gain a deeper understanding of each side’s perspective.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Atheists argue that the world and its workings can be fully explained through natural causes…

For what it is worth, that isn’t a tenet of atheism.

5 Likes

Atheism VS. Theism
Why do I have a problem with the title? It’s as if there are two opposing ideologies or philosophies. There aren’t. There is only one. Religion. And there are no Vs. We are not having a competition or a war. There is only a belief or don’t believe. There is a statement, God Exists! This is the assertion. No one is opposing the comment. The atheist is simply asking for evidence. Given the lack of evidence, there is no reason to believe. There is no Atheism Vs. Religion. There is a religious assertion that has failed to meet its burden of proof. There is only one position being asserted. One side. The side that asserts this God thing is real. No one else is making any assertions. All the atheists want to know is if the theists can demonstrate their claim.

Atheists DO NOT argue this. There is no reason at all to argue anything. A scientist might formulate an argument about explaining the world as the result of natural causes. That is where all the evidence leads. What evidence is there for a God? Why should a scientist spend any time at all looking for one? You have illogically confused science with atheism.

This makes no sense at all? What in the hell can be validated as true on ‘faith alone.’ Faith is not a path to truth. Every religion on the planet is full of the faithful. 200 Christian denominations in the U.S. and a staggering 45,000 globally, according to the [Center for the Study of Global Christianity] and all of them convinced that their specific brand of Christianity is the only brand that will make it to heaven and all other brands are led by false prophets and will burn in hell. When they get their facts together and decide which one of them actually has the truth, then we will have something to talk about.

The argument from complexity is only one of many theistic apologetics. Complexity has nothing to do with intelligence. The intricacy of the universe is evidence of the intricacy of the universe; anything else is an assertion that must be evidenced.

NO. One path, Theism, presents its arguments, and evidence. None of which stands up to critical inquiry. And so we wait for the theists to demonstrate the reality of their claims. NO Atheist needs to make any kind of a claim when the theists have not even come close to meeting the burden of proof for their claim.

5 Likes

Not sure about the higher power to be honest, think Buddhism.

For the first part I’m not sure this is true of all atheists, the second part seems a rational inference.

Hmm, I’d prefer many or most atheists, not “they”, I just get itchy teeth when people use sweeping generalisations. Though some of those points are again a logical inference of atheism.

Again not to be a pedant, (well perhaps I am but) theism is belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe. One could believe in a higher power and not be a theist.

Atheism is not a belief, it the lack or absence of one single belief, and I have never seen any compelling arguments or any objective evidence for any deity? Could you demonstrate some of these for me?

Well they do coexist, they could hardly have existed together for centuries otherwise:

Well again atheism is not something one “believes in” it is the absence or lack of belief in any deity or deity, and the “evidence” theists claim exists always ends up being unevidenced anecdotal hearsay, but I am happy to examine any such “evidence” anyone can demonstrate.

3 Likes

Compelling to whom? Both sides do not, in fact, have beliefs about gawds.

3 Likes

The OP sounds as though it were written by a theist.

3 Likes

As an atheist, I offer exactly zero evidence. I do, however, question the (so-called) evidence offered by theists.

2 Likes

Why would I want to do this?

1 Like

I think you have made many valid points. I am at present unable to respond to them other than to provide you with the link to the AI I use and if you want to talk to it directly you can. Thanks for your feedback :grinning: ChatGPT: Optimizing Language Models for Dialogue

Well that is what you get with an AI: the average.

2 Likes

In mathematics, a “higher power”, would be a higher exponent. So x3 is a higher power of x than x2. In a non-mathematical context, I’m not quite sure I understand what a “higher power” is. It must be defined.

3 Likes

I think on a practical level it is a competition and even sometimes war. Religions war with each other and atheists aren’t exempt from being targeted or it being part of the excuse i.e. the godless communist.
Christianity in particular seems pretty set on keeping other people from doing something if they think their god forbids it so it is a struggle/competition to try an stay free from their religious beliefs.

1 Like

Always feel free to post as best you can to express yourself. We do have members who have various communication challenges and we (mostly AND for sure “I” as a mod) will take it into consideration.

2 Likes

Indeed, but I meant to say I’m not sure atheism is mutually exclusive with belief in any “higher power”. I am not of course implying I personally believe any “higher power” exists, which I do not.

1 Like

You are shifting paradigms. . There is no religious war in this country, not yet. We are exempt from being targeted; there are laws protecting us. (Perhaps not enough, but we do have recourse.)

Which may be true but has not much to do with the parameters of the OP. ‘Specifically’
They argue that there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a higher power.
And, and attempt at an argument from complexity apologetic.

Battle (fight or struggle tenaciously to achieve or resist something).

War is very specific in its meaning.

Understood the context though and agree.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that those godless communists were communists first, and atheists a distant second.

1 Like

Godless Communists? You do not understand that communism is an economic system … right? 'Communism is an economic ideology that advocates for a classless society in which all property and wealth are communally-owned, instead of by individuals. One of the most religious countries on the planet is Religious. North Korea. The ‘Dear Leader,’ is a magical being. He is God. Communism is, in most cases, a religion itself.

Comunists = Godlessness ? I don’t think we can go there.

The Miracles of Kim Jong Il,
When Kim Jong-il officially took control of the state, pear and apricot trees mysteriously and spontaneously came into bloom across the country attracting butterflies and bees.Fisherman caught a rare white sea cucumber, which led Koreans to say “Kim Jong-il is indeed the greatest of great men produced by heaven.”

According to official state literature, Kim was born in 1942 in a log cabin at a secret base on Mount Paekdu, North Korea’s most sacred mountain.

His birth, believed to have been prophesied by a swallow, ignited a bright star in the sky that immediately changed the season from winter to spring and caused an awe-inspiring double rainbow to appear.

KIM JONG UN
Mythology claimed that the Kims were a semi-divine dynasty who had a close affinity with the near-sacred Mount Paektu that sits on the Korean-Chinese border.

By that logic, the young Kim would be naturally endowed with heroic qualities and preternatural strength. In fact when he was announced as the leader in 2011, the pronouncement made clear that he “inherits the ideology, leadership, courage and audacity of [his father] Comrade Kim Jong-il”.

6 Likes

Based on what objective evidence?

While it seems likely that atheism was an ideological result of the centuries of support the ROC offered the totalitarian rule of the Tsars, we shouldn’t be quick to make assumptions. Atheism was pursued with as much zeal under communism as religion was under the Tsars.

"the Russian Orthodox Church was deeply integrated into the autocratic state, enjoying official status. This was a significant factor that contributed to the Bolshevik attitude to religion and the steps they took to control it. Thus the USSR became the first state to have as one objective of its official ideology the elimination of existing religion, and the prevention of future implanting of religious belief, with the goal of establishing state atheism (gosateizm).

*Under the doctrine of state atheism in the Soviet Union, there was a “government-sponsored program of conversion to atheism” conducted by Communists.

…while most organized religions were never outlawed, religious property was confiscated, believers were harassed, and religion was ridiculed while atheism was propagated in schools. In 1925 the government founded the League of Militant Atheists to intensify the persecution. Accordingly, personal expressions of religious faith were not in any way privately banned, but a strong sense of social stigma was imposed on them by the official government structures and secular mass media, and it was generally considered unacceptable for members of certain government professions (teachers, state bureaucrats, soldiers) to be openly religious and anti-secular."*

CITATION

Indeed the worship and adoration of their leader suggests it is akin to a quasi region of sorts. Stalinist exhibited similar traits as well.