Addiction: this topic carried from other thread

I do believe that. He was given plenty of chances to repudiate his statements (which are at the very least obvious violations of the old AR rules) but all he did was throw more insults. Now that he’s been around awhile and people are starting to become friendly; he’s looking here for support: it is the perfect time to remind him all fucking alt-right, misogynistic, conspiracy theorist mud he has slung here. Maybe he will even repudiate some of it, but I’d wager against it.

I hope things work out for his younger female family member. I hope the people of the world have more respect for her than mr.macabre has for women in general. It would be nice if we could get people to treat random women with the respect they expect others to show for their female family members. What do you think mr.macabre would do if someone insinuated his niece/daughter/whatever got to where ever they happen to be in life by sleeping with men for favors? Fuck him.

Thank you for taking this unrestricted opinion to this thread. That was my intent, to allow mrmcabre (no matter one’s opinion of him) a place to seek solace and vent his frustration and pain.

This thread, just the opposite, feel free to vent your opinion.

@mr.macabre13 Does not need to visit this thread.

4 Likes

Interesting, because this is exactly what we do to theists when we insist on evidence. They have made the claim now what are the facts, what evidence do they have. I do the same thing to Atheists when they come blowing in here calling Christians stupid or when the blindly assert 'There is no God."

I demand to know which god they are talking about and how in the hell would they know it? God is an unfalsifiable claim. You can not prove it false. I personally believe I can demonstrate the likelyhood of every god I have yet encountered to be false. But that is a personal belief and not a fact. “Pinning down means looking at what is real. Facing the facts.” It is exactly what we do when theists enter the site. We hold them accountable for their comments. We point to the fallacious logic. And we certainly don’t offer much sympathy, unless, they are being honest and genuine in their interactions. Most are not, but we have had a few.

Is it playing god to point out what is real, objective and verifiable? Is it playing god to stop the games and hold people accountable for the things they say and do? I don’t think so. There may be times when it is more or less appropriate but I don’t regard it as God like to pin anyone down to reality.

2 Likes

Don’t we already have a place for that?

Atheist Republic encourages all atheists to speak up and voice their thoughts so if you are unsure about how your opinions and ideas may be received by others, that is one thing you need not worry about any longer because at the Atheist Hub, you have found yourself a family of concurring individuals

I don’t disagree with that assessment at all. That methodology works, my main concern as I said is that I think this is a catalyst that can lead someone off on a wilder tangent.

I believe your methods work for you, but you clearly have already stated you are a teacher who demonstrates clear understanding of a higher concept of psychology than most. I think this method should only be used with a good understanding of psychology. It’s much like a glass dagger, it’s an exacting and precise methodology layered with tactful measure, but I find it rigid and unforgiving and can go disastrously wrong. Certainly that is as we seem to have agreed personal preference.

I think it is a much more in person method of dealing with someone. Over a forum with no gauge of what mental state a person is in, to me in my opinion, it’s a shot in the dark. Is this person in a “stable” mental frame of mind? I don’t find pinning someone down to reality a sure fire method of netting a meaningful change. It will certainly make a mental change in someone, but I find it too easy to drive them deeper into their own warped reality. Also I don’t wish to drive someone to a dark place where they might consider self harm. Plus the possibility of a person becoming excessively overwhelmed by a line of questioning of a reality they don’t grasp pushing them toward anger and potentially and outward display. We live in a time where violent acts happen over trivial nothingness. I don’t like to put that kind of pressure on someone with clear mental illness. Again this is personal preference developed from my personal experience.

I continually think of my domineering father, his habitual and unflinching character assassinations almost drove me to a point of committing a very very violent act. In my then theist mind I really couldn’t have handled a methodology like yours coming at me. I see this personal weakness in me, that tendency toward rage and anger. I would most likely have become a martyr of my former religion if pushed. I continually have to question what could I have done or become being pushed like that? So I don’t so much as want to criticize your method as much as offer my opinion of caution.

Maybe god complex is a bit of a stretch, I can give on that. It is certainly an aggressive tactic and a bit domineering though for my taste. I admire the approach, but as I said I think it is very much a method using a hammer. Which has great affect, but where will said affect go?

If I call around and find a sick relative somewhere, will I be allowed to publish misogynist statements at AR also?

You have the chronology backwards. First you must make offensive comments then months later discover a loved one suffering.

2 Likes

I don’t care? LOL. Seriously, I hold people accountable for what they say. Any hint of mental instability; a threat of suicide or a threat to harm another and I am a mandated reporter. The person goes to the psych ward. It’s that simple. As a client, you are not going to sit and talk crazy shit in front of me. What then if the client goes out and harms someone? What then if the client does kill themselves? No. You don’t get to be crazy without consequences. There are real-world prizes for real-world problems. More like a glass sledge-hammer.

Look at the questions again. No one is doing that. What do you really want with your life and what are you really doing to get what you want? Pretty basic. We are not talking psychopathology here.

What is a mental illness? It really depends on what model you are using. There is the medical model. Not many use the psychoanalytic model but it is still out there and in use. There is the behavioral model. There is a family systems model. There is a Gestalt model. REBT (Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy) has a model. Existential Therapists have a model, Humanists have a model, I mentioned temperaments and recalled temperament theory also has a model of pathology (Different temperaments present pathology in different ways. The NT is the schizophrenogenic. The SJ is the somatascizor. The SP is the addictive personality. And the NF is the dissociative. Can’t even believe I remember that BS. (Do you want some more models. There are at least 50 more that I can quickly cite.)

This is the reason we use the DSM - 5. We track symptoms, add them together, and magically come up with a 'Mental Disorder." Are you aware of how loosey-goosy the field of psychology is? Psychology is called, ‘a Soft Science’ for good reasons. (Two different psychotherapists will diagnose the same person with different pathologies.) That’s why there are batteries of empirical tests to rely on. But people can perform differently on tests depending on all sorts of stuff. If there was one interpretation of 'Mental Illness" then there would be ‘One’ approved method of dealing with it. (Like the Medical Model). But this is not the case.

This is a fascinating field of study, but it is all statistical, hypothetical, and struggling very hard to be as objective as possible. One of the most curious things about psychological treatment is that people report feeling better or being symptom-free while using techniques that have no scientific basis at all. And then the people believing in those techniques and using those techniques, bend over backward to make them ‘scientific.’ “Regression therapies” come to mind. Past life regression. Psychoanalytic regression. Just made up BS. Previously I mentioned temperaments. Meyer’s/ Briggs were a mother and daughter team, not even professionals: “Briggs was inspired to research personality type theory when she met Isabel’s future husband, Clarence Myers. She noticed he had a different way of seeing the world. This intrigued her enough to start a literature review to understand different temperaments.” The temperament types are based on Jungian theory (Another Theory of mental illness)

I have an opinion as to why these therapies work that is in line with J, Haley’s communication Model. (LOL - Another model of mental illness.) I like this one. While the person is talking about past lives or past experiences, they are disassociating from themselves. They are really talking about themselves in the here and now. It’s called "Disqualification’ in Haley’s language. This technique of getting a client to talk about themselves while not really talking about themselves can be done in many ways. Disqualification of time, (not here and now but last year or when you were a kid.) Disqualification of the message (I just had a strange thought run through my brain, what do you think of… or … I saw this on a bumper sticker the other day, what do you think of… I am not the one saying this to you.) Disqualification of place (Guided imagery, imagine you are in a forest… bla bla bla.) Disqualification of the person (you are getting sleepy, sleepy, and asleep. Imagine you are your father. What do you say to yourself? The person is not there talking to themselves.) There are more…

Most clinicians tend to be eclectic in their approach, applying techniques that are best used for certain presenting problems and client temperaments.

So, what are you calling “Mental Illness” OH! Don’t forget! The legal system has a definition of mental illness as well. This is where you get the word, “Insane.” 'Insane, ’ and ‘sanity’ are legal definitions. “Criminal insanity is understood as a mental defect or disease that makes it impossible for a [defendant to understand their actions, or to understand that their actions are wrong.” (defendant | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute)

Have fun Exploring - To have this discussion you need to indicate which paradigm you are using.
I absolutely love this shit!

4 Likes

I can certainly see that you love this shit.

Interesting, I will certainly dive into some of this. Obviously I will be throwing in the towel on this debate. I won’t pretend to be able to argue this topic on such a level. I’m a maintenance mechanic, not a scholar. Honestly though, thanks for this criticism.

Coming from a point of having been a theist around three times longer than I have been atheist, this is the kind of stuff I want to explore more. Obviously my average theist upbringing has left me quite lacking in areas like this. I’m certainly trying to explore more of my mental toolbox.

Also very much not what I was trying to imply here that you don’t care. Obviously your enthusiasm implies quite the opposite. I was more trying to express my hesitation of ME trying to use your methodology. I’m certain that was my poor wording for any confusion.

2 Likes

And this is one major reason I am here. I learn, a lot.

3 Likes

Your a fucking scholar to me. You should see me around machines. I actually have an aptitude for ripping things apart and putting them back together. The problem is, I DON’T HAVE ANY FUCKING PATIENCE FOR IT. The fucking owner’s manual says loosen screw (A) and then lift the fucking whatever… Screw FUCKIING (A) NEVER THE FUCK COMES OUT. I end up stripping the shit out of it. Some asshole recommends drilling it out. I fuck that up and now I have three holes. Then I have to pay some asshole like you to tell me that I should have called you in the first place. You need to remove the lock pin from screw (A) before you unscrew it or you stip the entire insides. Now, that everything is all fucked up, you tell me you can fix it for half a million dollars or I can buy a new one. FUCK! I can’t get rid of the fucking thing because it was a gift and the person who gave it to me would notice that it was missing so I gotta pay you the fucking half million dollars. 10 minutes later everything is fixed and ready to go. What in the fuck did you do??? (Well, dipshit! I studied MECHANICS! You might want to try it before you go fucking around with shit next time!) Ha ha ha ha … All the way to the bank!

I have 8 years of university and over 40 years of practice. You can’t possibly be lacking. That’s like me saying I lack mechanical skills. Fuck, they are machines, how hard is it, You read the fucking manual and you fix the fucking machine. (IT NEVER FUCKING WORKS OUT THAT WAY THOUGH!) I once changed Tin Man’s batteries and he had to walk around with his face on his ass for an entire month.

I almost took apart a Fiat 600 car engine when I was about 18. I labeled every part as I put it on the ground. If I recall, I was changing the head gasket. NOT FUCKING BRAIN SURGERY. Anyway, I was also doing something with the pistons and spark plugs. I don’t recall what. Got it all apart, and took care of everything according to the book. Stuck it all back together. And started her up.

Fuck me! It sounded like a fucking Tin Man falling down the side of a rocky cliff and hitting every rock on the way down.

I took the engine apart again. Looked into the piston well. And there was the problem. A tiny little fucking screw had jumped into the piston when I wasn’t looking and now it had embedded itself into one of the many dents in the wall of the piston well. The inside of that piston looked like a pockmarked acne infested teen,

I chiseled the screw out of the wall, but the whole mess back together again, and it purred like a kitten. Who said I was not a good mechanic? I knew I could do it. Just follow the instructions manual.

3 Likes

Uhhh… Gee, I guess I should have told you, but… Well, you actually got the battery replacement right and everything put back correctly. It’s just that I had recently gotten an image of my face engraved on my ass as a defense tactic. It deters anybody from sneaking up behind me when I visit nude beaches. I’m kinda paranoid about shit like that.

Interesting! I once slept, dick down, on a picture of a Tin Man, to scare the body crabs off my privates. Worked like a charm. Of course these days I am virtually celibate…
Wait a minute, that’s not true. I am virtually fucked, and celibate in real life. That’s the problem with these long-distance Internet chat room relationships.

2 Likes

Glad I could help… :thinking:… Hey! I just realized something! If I could somehow patent that method of crab removal, I could make millions! :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

Yeah, and If I could package and patent the disturbing relationship between you fuckers, I could single-handedly reduce unwanted pregnancies, STD’s and toxic relationships, while becoming disgustingly wealthy…

1 Like

Oh fuk, our relatinship is showing. You mean the fact that we are fishing buddies right. Men who do manly things together. Real slaps on the back, man hugs, and camp fires uder the full moons light sorta guys. Manly men even when we polich each other’s toe nails.

3 Likes

Uh huh…yeah…just fishin buddies…more like butt-buddies. No judgement here, each to his own and all. Just, you know,…what with all of the sexual inuendo and such…it gets hard not to erect some sort of provocative narrative to thrust into the turgid conversation at hand.

Yeah! That’s right, Cog! You tell 'im!

@skriten And we don’t use any of those sissy colors like lemonade pink or sunshine yellow or passion purple! (Except on special occasions.) We use manly nail polish colors like battleship gray and poison ivy green and burnt toast brown! And we use those colors to make intimidating camo patterns on our toenails to strike fear into other shoppers as we wear our open-toe heels while strolling through the malls.

1 Like

If I had a nickel for every production manager that has ever said that.

Unfortunately due to American business owners lack of self investment into their businesses, people like me end up fixing machines from the 1940s. Most middle level manufacturers are still using decades old technology. These machines have been hot wired, cut up and modified by hand to build specialized products and proprietary items. You have to be part historian, part electrician, machinist, and general fabricator rolled into one.

If you have ever seen Terry Gilliams 1987 classic Brazil, I am Harry Tuttle.

2 Likes