Heard a great question today.
What Information has religion given us in the past hundred years that has improved our lives, elevated our understanding of God or gods, or led us to a greater sense of “spirituality.” What do we know from “Religion” today that we did not know 100 years ago?
THIS IS WHAT SCIENCE HAS OFFERED US IN THE LAST DECADE. (I won’t even mention that I had a black and white TV when I was a kid, that phones used to hang on walls or around street corners, that people had to go to an arcade to play an arcade game, or that robots were something we watched on TV.
- Gravitational waves have been detected.
- DNA sequencing technologies have improved exponentially.
- NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope, advanced our knowledge of amazing new planets, many of which may be habitable.
- The Event Horizon Telescope—a planet-scale array of ground-based radio telescopes—unveiled the first image of a supermassive black hole and its shadow in 2019.
- In August 2012, NASA’s Voyager 1 probe [crossed the outer boundary of the heliosphere.
- In response to the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak in West Africa, public health officials and the pharmaceutical company Merck fast-tracked rVSV-ZEBOV, an experimental Ebola vaccine. After [a highly successful field trial in 2015. European officials approved the vaccine in 2019—a milestone in the fight against the deadly disease.
Can Religion offer us ANYTHING? Anything at all?