Very (OT) I started to collect 33s

I like also listening to them, got a little collection. Want to expand on it, as I enjoy the old way of listening to music.

@anon14261619

I like LP’s as well. For me it’s not just about the sound quality, I really like the artistic design that goes into it all like the cover and inside. I also appreciate having the lyrics ready at hand. I have not bought any new ones but still enjoy going through my oldies 60’s and 70’s. What genres are you into?

2 Likes

Great idea.

In my early tens I collected 78’s to play on my dad’s old gramophone. (single use needles). I loved the Big Bands but also found old recordings by Enrico Caruso and Nellie Melba, dreadful quality. (look them up)

I think it was those 78’s which led me to Jazz and and blues in my 40’s, on CD’s . Just about anything you will find on 33’s can probably be found on CD’s, but you may have to dig around. I got most of my old stuff from the cheap bin at stores Americans call ’ Dollar Stores’

Vinyl recordings are still made because some serious collectors claim CD’s are too bright. 33’s certainly tend to have good bass presence.

Enjoy your new hobby!

1 Like

Rock, metal heavy metal, hard rock. Thrash metal, death metal.

Some rap.

Country.

Classical and orchestrated themes and soundtracks.

Classic rock, and even some stuff from as far back as the 50s.
I like Elvis. And my roommate has some.

So a little of a lot. Ahh. Big Band singing.

Our record player has 78 so I could actually listen to them too if I had any.

And I like collecting 33s, so yes I will enjoy my new hobby.

I am 50, so I remember when that was my only choice. And then when CDs came out, you still could choose CD or record. I am glad they are bringing some stuff out on 33 these days.

Yeah .I was tempted to buy a decent turn table. I still have a good tuner amp and a pair of B&W speakers. Plus a terrific omni directional speaker a mate made for me. Didn’t buy the turn table because second hand vinyl tends to be crap and new ones are far more expensive than the digitally remastered CD’s I used to buy. .

Of course it’s all irrelevant today; I no longer watch DVD’s nor listen to CD’s. I sometimes buy obscure artists on CD on Ebay, then rip them to Mp3. Best find in the last couple of years was a CD by Anita O’Day, a truly great Jazz singer of 1950’s. ----I’d never hear of of her. Toady I have about a dozen of her albums on Mp3

I suspect you can probably buy vinyl records on Ebay, new and second hand

1 Like

Yes of course you can get records from Ebay as I am bidding on one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metallica-Master-of-puppets-1986-picture-disc-vinyl-LP-megadeth-Slayer/184504860541?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

If I don’t get it that is fine. Had a chance to get one at Walmart for like 32$ and bought something else. They usually go for 75 or more.

This would be my second Metallica album on 33. My first one I got on Ebay too and that is And Justice For All, two album set.

If I lose this I don’t care, it isn’t that important to have this on a picture disc. I want to up my collection of 33s. I have two Deff Leppard LPs too. Two Pink Floyd, The Wall and The Dark Side Of The Moon. The Wall is a two record set. I have a two record set of Willie Nelson’s best hits too. My Michael Jackson Thriller album skips, and I got a second one, and they both skip. And one other two record set, CCR, if you know what I mean by that. That had no skips, and one song skips twice, damn it.

I have no actual objective, just want to collect some music on 33, and listen to it too.

@anon14261619

By the choice of your genres it seems like you have enjoyed many a days of headbanging.

I used to love my early collection all the way from the 1920’s and up from almost every genre. Unfortunately I had to sell them decades ago when I got married . My collection is small at the moment and those are keepers…it’s the wife I got rid of…lol

I enjoy songs from every genre but I also detest some as well. For instance, rap is a genre I do not like in general but there are a handful of artists that I can enjoy listening to.

1 Like

And jamming out to good music.

I use to have some classics on 78 like the Nutcracker Suite.

I don’t listen to much rap myself either. I got that record buy side two first song skips… damn it.

I also get into CCR and other older rock music. I have a double album of CCR and love listening to it.

PS

Sorry took me so long to reply. :wink:

@anon14261619

Hi Fieval… no worries on how much time it takes to reply. I am too busy in my real world to respond in social media in a timely fashion as well.

I love CCR. I grew up buying albums from The Beatles, CST and Young , Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Uriah Heap, Supertramp, America and countless others. There’s just something special about albums that the digital world cannot offer.

You mentioned " jamming out to good music", are you a musician? I jam with some buddies but covid has put that all on hold… I love trying new instruments. I’m great at none of them but good enough to get by.

As for the rap, I can only listen to bands that use real instruments…Fun Luvin’ Criminals is my fav. If you have seen Pulp Fiction then you have heard them. I have seen this band of 3 musicians and they are not only great but so underrated. They have played with big name famous (non rap) artists as well.

Keep on rockin’ on with LP’s

1 Like