The Church is a Hive Mind

I wish all in recovery understood this. My recovery was dependent on only one thing, whether I did the work or not.

It is nice to have a social circle to share your experiences with, but in the end it is you alone, late at night, making difficult choices.

The hardest lesson for me to learn was to recover for my own sake, not for others.-------For alcohol and tobacco six months later, there were moments of clarity.

The thought I thunk on each occasion was ā€œIf I donā€™t stop I WILL dieā€. When that actually sunk in, I started to recover. There is no doubt in my mind that had I not stopped drinking and smoking I would have been dead years ago.

----To stay sober I avoid pubs and social gatherings where there will be drinking .However, I still get thirsty every now and then. Feel like a smoke much more often, even though Iā€™m pretty sure I would throw upā€”it was wonderful getting my senses of smell and taste back.

1 Like

Until it is important to you, it is not important at all. If I could bottle that and sell it, I would be the greatest counselor on the planet.

I guess like many things in life.

Or ā€œuntil it happens to a celebrity, it is not important at allā€. My (ex) friend disbelieved covid until Tom Hanks got it.

WOW!

Because Iā€™m a smidge paranoid I became suspicious before China made any announcement.

I did whatever authorities told me to do AND still stay home as much as I can. Perhaps an abundance of caution . BUT, Iā€™m 73 years old, have diabetes and am overweight. If I catch the virus I could die. I really donā€™t want that to happen, at all. Most especially when I can do ANYTHING to prevent it.

Iā€™ve heard people refer to the US as the United States of Amnesia. It is a great phrase as it often describes how I feel.

Today I got a political ad (physical copy from snail mail) from a political party, showing kids with masks running around a school, saying we should get them ā€œback to school safelyā€.

Do they think Iā€™ve forgotten that this is the same party whoā€™s leader told us ~7 months ago that the virus was a hoax perpetrated by an opposition party? Do they think I donā€™t remember? Do they think Iā€™m that dumb?

Anyway, that is it for my political rant today.

The term was coined by Gore Vidal and is the title of a documentary made at the end of his life in 2013: