The 9 foundational questions?

1. Quantum interactions
  2. A mythological concept used to control people’s minds
  3. Our instincts as social mammals
  4. The last surviving homo species
  5. We’re moving toward the Andromeda Galaxy. We’re here to live every day till we die.
  6. To learn from or to repeat
  7. Cessation of all biological processes, followed by decomposition and recycling
  8. Reason
  9. Reason never gives you a wrong answer. Faith distorts.

Well, that’s awesome, thanks for stopping by. I am glad you were prompted to talk and communicate with us…promoting dialogue.

But yeah…questions 1, 8, and 9 are a bit redundant. Just asking about epistemology. Basically, something has to be scientifically DEMONSTRABLE (can be shown in a laboratory setting) cannot be unfalsifiable (phrased in such a way as to have no condition for failure [“its not even wrong”], cause that would mean it would be untestable), must be testable (able to be tested in a lab), and parsimonius (obey Occam’s Razor).

Put simply, the claims made by Christian and other faith-based belief systems fail one or all of these. Thus I don’t invest any belief in them. As for my own positive propositions, I have few.

1. Who knows, but evidence to support any claim would give credence to it.

2. A fairy tale.

3. It has evolved over time with humankind.

4. A bundle of particles.

5. Literally speaking, because Earth formed from an accretion disc and we happened to evolve over an enormous time… metaphorically, to live briefly and die.

6. Hopefully to learn and improve from.

7. They tend to decompose.

8. We use the word belief very differently, but what I hold dear is empirically proven, evidenced driven and logically/rationally sound.

9. Again, the wording is awful here and trying to conflate atheism and theism.

Atheism is simply an answer to a question, “do I belive in a god?” To which I answer not on your bloody nelly.

There is zero evidence for a god(s) and the burden of proof is on theism, which it has never met.

So until it becomes available, I’ll continue under the rubric that its a nonsensical belief structure.

1. Reality is what has actual consequences on your ability to create your reality.
  2. A human idea, with no demonstrable ties to actual reality.
  3. Another human idea, I personal think a “good” idea would be to have morality that helps humanity as a whole progress to better things.
  4. Another advanced living organism, from the “ape” family, made special by the most advanced/complex brain we have yet to encounter.
  5. I think that question is mostly answerless except in a philosophical sense. My guess? No reason at all, in this tiny corner of the universe complexity gave rise to us.
  6. I think human history is a useful tool to learn from, so we do not repeat the same mistakes of the past.
  7. They die (back to the way they “were” before they were born.) Nothing.
  8. My foundation relies upon demonstrable, repeatable, open to improvement gathering of what is known, by human discovery and knowledge sharing.
  9. Demonstrable, repeatable evidence, that is open to editing and improvement as our knowledge base expands.

EDIT:
After re-reading the thread, I realize you are likely in no way “ready” for these answers sara1. Especially if you are taking a class call foundations of faith, which implies you are in a school that is religion based, instead of knowledge based.

I gave you the short response, but being able to understand these answers requires a knowledge base in how this sort of stuff works. Feel free to ask your questions about them.

1 Like
  1. This is currently unknown, and may never be known
  2. This is not up to me to define. It is up to the person who is claiming that some god or gods exist, to define the god they believe in, then provide demonstrable and falsifiable evidence, and valid and sound logic, to support their claim.
  3. Too long to answer on this post. But it is based on the well being of other thinking creatures, the physical laws of the universe, empathy, and our evolutionary history.
  4. An intellectually advanced species of hominids, very closely related to Bonobo chimps
  5. We are here due to the drive of our ancestors to survive and reproduce.
  6. Not really sure what you are asking here.
  7. Currently unknown, but we probably cease to exist. Everything that is associated with what makes each of us, “us”, is found in our physical brains. So, most likely, after we die is much like before we were born.
  8. Demonstrable evidence, critical thinking, valid and sound use of logic, skepticism,
  9. It works. Every single advancement in humanity, from the computer you are using, to the network that transmits your messages, to our drastically increased lifespans (when compared to not eve a 100 years ago), etc, etc, etc, ALL came about due to the same method I use. Not a bad track record.
1 Like

Damn good reply…way to hit the nail on the head

Oh look. It’s another of those mythology fanboy “gotcha” lists of questions that they’re so fond of. Let’s take a look at this shall we?

That which is observable. And, as a corollary, measurable.

Though of course, there’s an entire worm cannery full of cans of worms to be opened up here.

An imaginary entity asserted to exist in an error-laden mythology.

There exists an abundant scientific literature, pointing to the evolutionary and biological basis of [1] our capacity for ethical thought, and [2] our motivation to act thereupon. On the old version of the forums, I provided an exposition of some of that literature. You can read that post in full here.

Humans are a species of ape. Indeed, Linnaeus, the father of modern taxonomy, regarded us as related to chimpanzees sixty two years before Darwin was born, as I explain in this post on the old version of the forums, which also covers numerous other pertinent topics.

We are here because the laws of physics permitted our existence, and the relevant physically permitted interactions took place. To think otherwise is to fall into the trap known as “Douglas Adams’ Puddle”.

There is none. History is simply the record of human activity. While sufficiently powerful human beings might attempt to steer events toward a particular goal, there is no guarantee that they will be successful.

Decomposition.

And at this point, I have to state here that those of us who paid attention in class, reject belief itself as a foundation for knowledge. Not least because there exists a voluminous body of observational data, pointing to the fact that belief, certainly as practised by mythology fanboys, consists of nothing more than uncritical acceptance of unsupported assertions, frequently assertions arising from mythologies. Those of us who treat assertions as they should be treated properly, wait for evidence informing us one way or the other of the truth-value of those assertions. From that post containing the exposition on Linnaeus, you will find the following apposite:

Again, those of us who paid attention in class, dispense with “faith”, because it’s all too often synonymous with the usage of “belief” I covered above.

As for why I accept the validity of various postulates, try the fact that several million peer reviewed scientific papers document the evidence for those postulates, including direct experimental test and verification thereof.

Next?

2 Likes

You are young.

Change out “belief” for “trust” (hmmm - about the same, eh?)

And if you have a second, in return for everyone contributing to your schoolwork,
I’d like only one question answered by you…

What is the foundation or basis for your trust? (Why?)

Why?

Why do you believe in a god?

In the interests of fair play, I will answer that same question. I lack a belief in any god because I have not been presented with sufficient evidence.

If we go down this road you will learn a lot more about us atheists and yourself.

3 Likes

What we believe?

More like the lack of, as there’s just too much lack of evidence for any god. Ask yourself can you fill an eternity full enough to not get bored out of your mind living forever?

No we do not have all the answers, such as what exactly happened to cause the Big Bang, but we do know it happened.

Time did not even exist as something you could measure with a clock before then, time did not begin until the Big Bang.

We also know that when the universe was first born or came to be, it was tiny and condensed down to like the size of a marble.
Then it began to expand rapidly actually expanding faster than light can travel. Expansion believe it or not broke no laws of physics.

But when finding evidence for any kind of deity or god there’s nothing there. There’s not enough evidence to suggest a god was responsible for the universe’s creation. We know that we can observe the universe, and many objects in it. There’s little to no evidence that a god was responsible.

So I believe in nothing when it comes to a deity.