Siddartha Gautama Appreciation Thread

In this post I will outline a teaching which should especially appeal to atheists. It is a “spiritual” teaching which denies the existence of a soul, a God, and a paradise like heaven. Instead it offers hedonistic “higher” pleasures (like bliss and joy, tranquility and rapture) in the ultimate pursuit of personal freedom from suffering. While everyone is focused on the fabled “Nirvana” they fail to realize that along the journey to “Nirvana” are mental and bodily states of bliss. Let me outline the “perks” of Buddhism in the most concise way that I can.

Buddhism starts with four noble truths.

1. the inner experience of life is riddled with suffering

2. the cause of that suffering is craving

3. the end of that suffering is the elimination of craving

4. a path leading to the elimination of that craving has been found and it is called the “Noble Eight Fold Path”.

It consists of 1. Right View 2. Right Thought 3. Right Speech 4. Right Action 5. Right Livelihood 6. Right Effort 7. Right Mindfulness and 8. Right Concentration.

For the liberated Buddhist Saint, there are two more steps; 9. Right Liberation and 10. Right Knowledge.

Most importantly we have Right Concentration. The following is the seductive description of that Right Concentration. Without any help from God, or angels, or fairies the elements of rapture and blissful pleasure can be attained by anyone willing to practice the Path.

The Blessed One said: "Now what, monks, is five-factored noble right concentration? There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful qualities — enters and remains in the first jhana: rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought and evaluation. He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal.

"Just as if a skilled bathman or bathman’s apprentice would pour bath powder into a brass basin and knead it together, sprinkling it again and again with water, so that his ball of bath powder — saturated, moisture-laden, permeated within and without — would nevertheless not drip; even so, the monk permeates, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of withdrawal. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal. This is the first development of the five-factored noble right concentration.

"Furthermore, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters and remains in the second jhana: rapture and pleasure born of composure, unification of awareness free from directed thought and evaluation — internal assurance. He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of composure. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born of composure.

"Just like a lake with spring-water welling up from within, having no inflow from east, west, north, or south, and with the skies periodically supplying abundant showers, so that the cool fount of water welling up from within the lake would permeate and pervade, suffuse and fill it with cool waters, there being no part of the lake unpervaded by the cool waters; even so, the monk permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of composure. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born of composure. This is the second development of the five-factored noble right concentration.

"And furthermore, with the fading of rapture, he remains equanimous, mindful, & alert, and senses pleasure with the body. He enters & remains in the third jhana, of which the Noble Ones declare, ‘Equanimous & mindful, he has a pleasant abiding.’ He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the pleasure divested of rapture, so that there is nothing of his entire body unpervaded with pleasure divested of rapture.

"Just as in a blue-, white-, or red-lotus pond, there may be some of the blue, white, or red lotuses which, born and growing in the water, stay immersed in the water and flourish without standing up out of the water, so that they are permeated and pervaded, suffused and filled with cool water from their roots to their tips, and nothing of those blue, white, or red lotuses would be unpervaded with cool water; even so, the monk permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the pleasure divested of rapture. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded with pleasure divested of rapture. This is the third development of the five-factored noble right concentration.

"And furthermore, with the abandoning of pleasure and stress — as with the earlier disappearance of elation and distress — he enters and remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity and mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain. He sits, permeating the body with a pure, bright awareness, so that there is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by pure, bright awareness.

"Just as if a man were sitting wrapped from head to foot with a white cloth so that there would be no part of his body to which the white cloth did not extend; even so, the monk sits, permeating his body with a pure, bright awareness. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by pure, bright awareness. This is the fourth development of the five-factored noble right concentration.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.028.than.html

Now if this doesn’t wet your appetite, I don’t know what will. Maybe intellectualism? Maybe drug use? But why not supermundane states of rapture and pleasure?

Onto Nirvana (“Unbinding”). How does this path which leads to right concentration lead to Nirvana? Here we find the answer.

"‘I tell you, the ending of the mental fermentations depends on the first jhana.’ Thus it has been said. In reference to what was it said? There is the case where a monk, secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. He regards whatever phenomena there that are connected with form, feeling, perception, fabrications, & consciousness, as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a disintegration, an emptiness, not-self. He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: ‘This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.’

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.036.than.html

And so to is it the same for the remaining three higher jhanas. So, you’re welcome. Here is a solution in the here and now to all of your existential issues. This is the condensed essence of the Buddha’s original message.

Now, I’m waiting for Cog to tell me that there’s nothing special about this and that all of this word smithing is mere attachment and what not. But be your own source of verification. If you desire rapture, bliss, joy and tranquility - the Buddha has found it and points the way. If you would rather lead a life of sophistry, logic, intellectualism, escapism, drug use, then ignore what has been said. At least you are aware that a solution to existential suffering exists and there is a way to bring it about.

Oh Fuck!
Can’t we call this ‘Preaching,’ and a violation of the site guidelines?

2 Likes

If I gave you a set of instructions on how to grow magic mushrooms would that be preaching?

This is a logical and consistent set of instructions, nothing more.

No fear mongering, no promises of effortless bliss - just clear outlines of how to improve your state of being.

Beautiful prose. That’s all it is. And this is the real Buddhism you claim to understand, so why do you have a problem with it?

But what if I crave not to suffer anymore?

But what about people who are left-handed?

Aw, shit. Now I’m confused. Craving leads to suffering. But if I desire (crave) rapture, bliss, joy, and tranquility, then I have to stop that craving, else I will start suffering? Son-of-a-bitch… This Buddha shit is tricky.

2 Likes

Show me where I claimed to understand anything. Poor poor ratty. My only assertion is that you are talking out your ass and don’t know what in the hell you are talking about. That should be crystal clear to anyone with the ability to read.

2 Likes

Oh fuck! Even Tin understands. Poor poor ratty. Struggling to get to the top of NOTHING.

Now Tin. I ask you. How hard was that to understand? Three little sentences and Tin makes more sense than every post you have ever written Ratty.

2 Likes

You’ll have to crave non-craving, while you listen to hours of recordings of one hand clapping and ponder the existence of soundless sounds. Peace and love.

1 Like

Oh, there’s something special about all of this, alright.

It’s the continuation of the attempted picking stuff from Buddhism that seems to fit a secular view in some casuistic manner and discarding the rest.

In time, so much will be picked out and whittled down that all one will be left with is secularism - but with an attempt to also eliminate striving and the intellect because those two things cannot be exercised without suffering in accompaniment, IME.

(I do enjoy the way Stephen Batchelor and the folks over at Secular Buddhist network are offering this same impossible narrative in a very readable way, though.)

Pass.

1 Like

Isn’t that what every culture did that Buddhism spread to? Buddhism itself is a response to Taoism which was a response to Shamanism and Nature religions and Hinduism. There are probably as many forms of Buddhism as their are Christian sects. Here are the sects within the major branches. I don’t think they are counting the American Buddhist schools. Any dweeb good at talking can open a school in America. Separation of Church and State and all that stuff.

TABLE IV.  SECTS MENTIONED BY FA HIAN AND
                  YUAN  THSANG.
    A. By Fa Hian.
      In Lob and Karaschar the Hinayana, Ch. 2.
      ,,  Khoten . . . . .  ,, Mahayana, Ch. 3.
      ,,  the Dard Country. ,, Hinayana, Ch. 6.
      ,,  Udyana. . . .     ,, Hinayana, Ch. 8.
      ,,  Panjab. . . .     ,, both,  Ch. 14,  15.
      ,,  Kanauj. . . . .   ,, Hinayana, Ch. 18.
      ,, the Middle Country.,, 96 sects, Ch. 20 (apparently
                                  not Buddhists).
      ,,  Kosambi. . . .    ,, Hinayana, Ch. 34.
      ,,  Patna. . . . .    ,, Mahasamghika, Ch.  36.
      ,,  India. . . . .    ,, 18 sects, Ch. 36.
      ,, Patna (and China) .,, Sabbatthi-vada,  Ch. 36.
      ,,  Ceylon . . . . . ,, Mahimsasaka, Ch. 40.

B. By Yuan Thsang.
      In Gaz . . . . . .    the Sabbatthivada, 1. 49 (trans.
                                   Beal).
      ,,  Bamiyan . . . . .  ,, Lokottaravadino, 1. 50.
      ,,  Kapisa . . . . .   ,, mostly Mahayana,  1. 55.
      ,,  India. . . . .     ,, 18 schools (apparently both
                                 Hina- and Maha-yana!)
                               1. 80.
      ,,  Gandhara . . . .   ,, Hina-yana,  1. 104.
      ,,  Po-lu-sha, . . . . ,, Hina-yana,  1. 112.
      ,,  Udyana . . . .     ,, Maha-yana, 1. 120, and  also
                                 Nos. 3, 8, 9, 10, 13, of
                                 Table I. (A), 1. 121.
      ,,  Takshasila . . . . ,, Mahayana,  1. 137.
      ,,  Kashmir . . . .    ,, Mahasamghika,  1.  162.
      ,,  Sagala . . . . . . ,, Hinayana, 1. 172.
      ,,  Kuluta . . . . .   ,, Mahayana, 1. 177.
      ,,     ?  . . . . .    ,, Hinayana, 1. 179.
      ,,  Mathura . . . .    ,, both, 1. 180.
      ,,  Sthanesvara . . .  ,, Hinayana,  1. 184.
      ,,  Srughna. . . .     ,, Hinayana, 1.  187.

p.415

In Rohilkund .... the Hinayana (Sabbatthivadino)
                            1. 190, 192, 196.
      ,,  Govisana . . . .   ,, Hinayana,  1. 200.
      ,,  Pi-lo-shan-na. . . ,, Mahayapa, 1. 201.
      ,,  Ahikshetra. . .    ,, Sammitiya, 1. 200.
      ,,  Kapitha. . . .     ,, Sammitiya, 1.  102.
      ,,  Kanauj . . . .     ,, both H. and M., 1. 207.
      ,,  Navadevakula. . . .,, Sabbatthivadino, 1. 224.
      ,,  Audh . . . .       ,, both, 1.  225.
      ,, Hayamukha . . . .   ,, Sammitiya,  1.  230.
      ,,  Prayaga . . . .    ,, Hinayana, 1. 231.
      ,,  Kosambi . . . .    ,, Hinayana, 1. 235.
      ,,  Visakha . . . .    ,, Sammitiya,  1. 239-40.
      ,,  Sravasti . . . .   ,, Sammitiya,  2.  2.
      ,, Kapilavastu . . . . ,, Sammitiya,  2.  14.
      ,, Benares . . . .     ,, Sammitiya, 2. 44, 45.
      ,, Ghazipur . . . .    ,, Hinayapa, 2.  61.
      ,, Mahasala . . . .    ,, Mahayana, 2. 65.
      ,, Svetapura (?). . . .,, Mahayana, 2. 75.
      ,, Vajjians . . . .    ,, both, 2. 78.
      ,, Nepal . . . .       ,, both, 2. 81.
      ,, Magadha . . . .     ,, Mahayana, 2. 82.
      ,,   ,,    . . . .     ,, both, 2, 103, 104.
      ,, Gaya . . . .        ,, Mahayana of the Sthavira
                                  School, 2. 133.
      ,, Pigeon Vihara . .   ,, Sabbatthivada, 2. 182.
      ,, Mongir . . . .      ,, Sammitiya, 2. 186.
      ,, Campa . . . .       ,, Hinayana, 2. 192.
      ,, Po-chi-po Vihara .  ,, Mahayana,  2. 195.
      ,, Pundra . . . .      ,, both, 2. 195.
      ,, Bengal . . . .      ,, Sthavira, 2. 199.
      ,, Bhagalpur . . . .   ,, Sammitiya, 2. 201.
      ,, Orissa . . . .      ,, Mahayana, 2.  204.
      ,, Kalinga . . . .     ,, Sthavira school, 2. 208.
      ,, Kosala . . . .      ,, Mahayana,  2. 210.
      ,, Dhanakataka . . . . ,, Mahayana, 2. 221.  (Here
                                are the Pubbasela and
                                Aparasela Viharas.)

p.416

In Kancipura .  .  .  . the Sthavira, 2. 229.
    ,,  Ceylon   .  .  .  . ,,  Sthavira, 2. 247.
    ,,  Konkana  .  .  .  . ,,  both, 2.  254.
    ,,  Mahrattas   .  .  . ,,  both, 2. 257.
    ,,  Baroach  .  .  .  . ,,  Sthavira,  2.  260.
    ,,  Malva    .  .  .  . ,,  Sammitiya,  2.  261.
    ,, Kachch    .  .  .  . ,,  Hinayana & Mahayana, 2. 266.
    ,, Valabhi   .  .  .  . ,,  Sammitya, 2. 266.
    ,,  Surat    .  .  .  . ,,  Sthavira, 2.  269.
    ,,  Gurjara  .  .  .  . ,,  Sabbatthivada, 2.  270.
    ,,  Ujjen    .  .  .  . ,,  both, 2.  270.
    ,,  N. Sindh .  .  .  . ,,  Sammitiya, 2. 272.
    ,, Parvata (Po-fa-to) . ,,  both, 2.  275.
    ,, Kurachi  (?) .  .  . ,,  Samittiya, 2.  276.
    ,, Lang-kia-lo  .  .  . ,,  both, 2. 277.
    ,,  Persia      .  .  . ,,  Sabbatthivada, 2.  278.
    ,,  Pi-to-shi-lo   .  . ,,  Sammitiya, 2. 279.
    ,,  O-fan-cha   .  .  . ,,  Sammitiya,  2,  280.
    ,,  Fa-la-na    .  .  . ,,  Mahayana, 2.  281.
    ,,  Ghazni   .  .  .  . ,,  Mahayana, 2. 284.
    ,,  Hwoh     .  .  .  . ,,  both, 2. 288.
    ,, Och       .  .  .  . ,,  Sabbatthivada, 2. 304.
    ,,  Kashgar  .  .  .  . ,,  Sbbatthivada,  2. 307.
    ,,  Cho-kiu-kia .  .  . ,,  Mahayana,  2. 308.
    ,,  Khoten   .  .  .  . ,,  Mahayana,  2. 309.

They are all different; The Sects of the Buddhists.
Davids. T. W. Rhys
The Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society
1891 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< NOTE
pp.409–422

Do you imagine there are fewer sects today? Every peon who wants to be a Buddhist master is opening a school.

Buddhism doesn’t have any official Council of Dogma that keeps everyone in line — one of the reasons there are so many variations is because some teacher just starts teaching things differently, and accumulates students, and after a while people notice “hey, that’s a different strain. It needs its own name. THEY ARE ALL ‘THE ORIGINAL SCHOOL OF BUDDHISM.’

1 Like

AWWWW Fuck! Does everyone on the site have Ratty’s number. Hey Ratty? Why is everyone else getting this and you are still wallowing in the dark?

1 Like

Gemme a second. I got a big interview today. All questions will be answered by the great Oz!!!

This sounds like every other “religion”, do this, believe in this, practice that. It’s all bullshit, just leave me the hell alone.
All I need to get by in this life is family and music.

1 Like

Agreed. Possessing values and a method of making one’s way through life doesn’t need the injection of… admitting the naked manifest awareness of the present is a mere nothingness and everythingness created as a multiplicity of Right Bowel Motility… or something. Or concurrently worshipping an imaginary supernatural asshole in the sky.

Always try to do the right thing to the best of your ability and let the consequences follow.
Help your friends and people you meet if its within your means.
Don’t break the law or defy authority without a very good reason.
Keep a sense of humor at all times and especially when life gets tough.
Ask and look for evidence.
Accept responsibility for actions, realizing that, in life, they have consequences.
Etc.

And, somehow, at no point did those inculcating these sorts of things in regard to the young Bluedoc need appeal to the Crave Elimination of Lucid Mindfulness of Naked Awareness, or to the Sky Jagoff.

1 Like

Ha! I knew you typing up this bullshit had something to do with drug abuse.

SinfulElaborateEastrussiancoursinghounds-size_restricted

Tinmanism of the day:

“Live only within the present moment, for today is tomorrow’s past and yesterday’s future. Let go of the past. To remain focused on the past is to inhibit your future dreams. Let go of future. To stay focused on the future is to dilute today’s happiness. In The Now, always remember past mistakes. For to forget such valuable lessons dooms one to repeating them in the future. Be mindful of The Now. True enlightenment is only in The Now. Past enlightenment could not reflect upon the present, and future enlightenment will only reveal what has already transpired. The past and the future have no measurable meaning. Only The Now can fulfill your dreams from the past and your expectations of the future you desire. Look not behind. Look not ahead. Endeavor to remain in The Now.”

Mossonrockalickum,

Tin-Man

4 Likes

All of the above leads me only to conclude that you have spawned a sect of True Buddhism.

Oh wise new lama…

2 Likes

I just excited about getting Tax-Free status. Wooo-hoooo! :smiley::grin:

1 Like

Mossonrockalickum, I have read all the stone tablets. I even paid for the ‘Navellookat Andgrok’ Encyclopedia of esoteric knowledge to translate some of the hidden stuff that seemed to fall into the cracks. Wow! I can’t believe another person on the site discovered this stuff. The nature religions are so old and no one reads any of the shit archaeologists dig up. That’s so cool! “May words of wisdom grow verdantly from the interstice within the expansive curvature of the capituluous orb atop your mortal parts.”

1 Like

Next level: Sex-Free status? :thinking:

1 Like