Should something be sacred?

Now I realise the topic title is a loose version of what I am really asking.

I want to start out with a disclaimer, when I say sacred, the definition I am using is ‘worthy of respect; venerable.’

I don’t mean sacred as in ‘worthy of religious veneration’

When someone in the UK joins the armed forces, they are forced to give an oath to the King.

“I swear by almighty God that I will be faithful, and bear true allegiance to his Majesty King Charles III, his heirs and successors, and that I will as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend his Majesty, his heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity, against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of His Majesty, his heirs and successors and the generals and officers set over me.”

I do believe there are alternate versions nowadays, depending on your religion. (Yes they say atheism is a religion on the form. :unamused:)

Would you say such an oath (god claims ignored) is worthy of being considered ‘sacred.’

What about a promise to a friend, “Okay, I won’t tell anybody.” do we hold that promise to be sacred?

Of course, there is a question of morality, but that’s not what I’m truly trying to ask.

Is that promise, actually worth adhering to?

Of course, you could argue that it depends on who you are making the promise to, and it is dependant on how much we value that person, but that isn’t addressing the quintessential issue.

What value does a promise actually have on its own?

It has the value the person making the promise puts on his or her word. I was absolutely crushed when I told my wife I was unwilling to live with her after our wedding. All my delusions of ‘happily ever after’ came crashing down. All my illusions of being able to get through anything, jumped up and bit me in the ass. As painful as it was, I had to admit that falling in love with the wrong person was possible, and I could not live my life with the person I had married. My marriage lasted about 3 months. It was annulled in 6. I often say, the happiest day of my life was the day I got married. The saddest was the day I told myself ‘No More.’ I broke all my vows, tossed my dreams of being happily married, and nearly got kicked out of my master’s program. (If I wasn’t a good student, things might have been terrible. Or if my professors were not understanding, things could have gotten ugly.) Life choices can be hard and sometimes, we all break promises. Can we live with the promises we break?

5 Likes

I believe that might just be it.

I know I’ve broken promises, some of them I deeply regret, some of them I can justify, at the very least to myself.

But then, ‘can we live’ is a very broad statement though, ranging from self loathing of previous actions, or potentially repressing a memory, all the way to suicidal thoughts.

Is it perhaps a spectrum, where the X value is calculated on the importance of the promise, the value of the promise receiver, and the value of how much promises matter to the promise giver?

But then that leads me to question the reliability of a promise, it can lead to a promise being fulfilled and a promise being broken.

1 Like

I think fire worship, fire dancing, having a camp fire in the woods, fire, fire, fire …

Fire is sacred and should be worshipped from time to time.

My Persian friend tells me that, before Islam, his country Iran, was a fire worshiping country. They still dance around and run through fires on the Persian New Year.

This is very true, I lived in a shared house, and one the friends I made there, was Persian, he fled the country and can only talk to his family in video chat.

He would often talk to me about the old religion before those Mohammedan murderers took over.

The atrocities those in power in Iran are often not reported on, but it is a country filled with great misery and oppression. They literally turn off the internet, if the population protests too much.

The last time they did this, they had military trucks running over crowds of protesters, opening fire on unarmed civilians.
They even changed their flag, from a proud lion into some weird spindly symbol.

If you ever need to see the danger of Islam, look no further than Iranian history.

What’s worse, going by statistics, the vast majority of Muslims believe and want a global Caliphate, you can be assured that many of these, will stop at nothing to achieve it too.

I could literally write an entire book on the subject.

But, I feel like I would be ‘preaching to the choir’ on these forums.

1 Like

That is what happens when you murder the non-violent reformers; that act manufactures violent reformers.

2 Likes

This is my thoughts exactly. Thank you for wording yours so eloquently.

1 Like