Question of Morals

Well, that would be rather magnanimous, but literally and actually unnecessary, as any indication of absence is indeed an absence of indication when applied to “ The Code”…

A fat lot of good THAT would do. He would just eat all the damn bird seed before he even noticed the code, much less memorized it.

Yeah, well that just goes to how little you know about numerology and it’s relationship to bird seed…

Oh Tin, he’s got you there. Wait @skriten knows the real code. Did I never know the code at all then? Was it ever real? How did I get here?

1 Like

Uh…you can’t get here from there… sorry :disappointed:

Well that’s good from afar, but far from good. What are we talking about here again?

Uh…uh… :thinking:… Wait-wait-wait. Don’t tell me… Uhhh… Was it something about a secret code nobody knows but everybody uses to determine who can be trusted to know the code? Or was it how something was good for nothing unless nothing else was near enough to be good for something from afar?.. (looking around in confusion)… Wait… Where the HELL am I???

Damn it @Tin-Man we must be back in Kansas now!!! :scream:

Secret code

1 Like

2 Likes

“It all makes sense now!”

The question is not where, but WHEN the HELL are you…

1 Like

3 Likes

Fine. Lets speak covertly. Do you have a Geiger Counter? ( if you dont know the answer, try Google)

One issue I have with morality and religion is how religion often seems to view morality in terms of absolutes, while I see morality as situational.

When I take a view of morality that’s situational, people often suggest that my morality is based on whatever is conveinient at the time . . . and nothing is further from the truth.

As an example to clarify what I mean, consider the importance parents place on reminding children to shut the light when leaving a room.

Electricity costs money, and being careless about shutting lights costs money needlessly . . . so by caring about shutting lights, you are respecting your father who works very hard to provide for the family . . . and so forth.

So, shutting lights is an issue about respect, and caring for the family.

This is how I was raised.

Now here’s my point: My parents were house sitting for a family that went away on a trip, and the house was solar powered.

Yet they still got pissed at me when I was cavalier about shutting lights. It really, really bothered them when I left the lights on all over the house when it was my turn to check on everything (I did this intentionally because I believed this would deter burglars).

I tried to ask them what the difference is between leaving the lights on in a solar powered home (which is bad) and opening the curtains to let light in the room (which is fine), and they couldn’t articulate what the difference is . . . yet leaving the lights on is “immoral,” while opening the curtains and leaving them open to let in sunlight is fine.

So . . . my point is that when we take a stand on a legitimate moral issue, we tend to apply it out of context when we see it as a universal truth.

This isn’t a big deal when we’re talking about electricity and lights, but it becomes a very big deal in religion when it mixes with education and politics, and the whole world suffers for it.

It’s an easy fix. They don’t actually believe in absoluites. Religions agree with you. Morality is subjective. There are rules all throughout the bible that good Christians choose to ignore, A rapists should marry his victim 8 Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Leviticus 19:19

• Ye shall not round the corners of your heads. Leviticus 19:27 * All that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you. Leviticus 9:10 Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother’s milk. Exodus 23:19* *When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12 *Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 2 Kings 2:23-25 NIV *You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT *If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21 *No one whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off shall be admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Deuteronomy 23:1 NRSV Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same. Luke 3:11 NIV

But WAIT! Cries out the Christian. Some of that shit came from the old Testament. Jesus changed everything. Okay, then we get to throw out the rest of the old testament; "All prophecy. The Ten Commandments, Original sin, Just toss out the creation stories, they are all Old Testament, no Garden of Eden, First man, or 7 days of creation,. But Psalms says, " Psalm 33:11 says, “The counsel of the Lord stands forever, The plans of His heart to all generations.” His Word is Timeless and His Promises are Everlasting!. OOPS! [James 1:17] Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. So god does not change?? But he did Change? Huh?

The Christian cherry pick their way through the bible choosing bits of moral verses they wish to believe in and discard the rest. That is God’s absolute morality.

1 Like

I feel sad for some twats. Here is my atheism at work. I just bought a new car. A Hyundai Venue. Walked in, paid cash, walked out. I’ve had the car for a little over a month. The other day, one of the school bus drivers bumped into it and scratched it. I literally have a small, half inch scratch, on the driver’s side wheel well.

So the auto shop came out today. I wanted the scratch buffed out and touched up. I could do it myself with some fingernail polish and a buffer. The jerks wanted to replace the whole back panel of the tailggate? I told them No! (Now the driver of the other car, a nice lady, said she would pay for the damages.) It is no skin off my nose to allow them to replace the back panel but it would be unetical as hell to charge the poor lady a thousand dollar for a back panel because of a half inch scratch. I will deal with it myself.

Fuck that atheistic morality. I could have had myself a whole new back panel. It sucks being an amoral atheist who makes people suffer by confusing the fuck out of them and acting kindly when I am known to be a complete asshole.

5 Likes

How did I miss this response? Anyways

Mine is in the shop.

2 Likes