Plausible explnation for the emergence of religion?

All of the churches in the USA and worldwide are run by con men, flim-flam artists and bullshitters. There fixed it for you.

3 Likes

Anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, psychosis, and mania.

My personal response to annihilation anxiety was that God MUST exist, otherwise I’m fucked.

My personal response to depression was that God MUST exist, otherwise the word is unintelligible.

My personal response to schizophrenia is as that God MUST exist, because he abducted me onto his spaceship and held me hostage for a couple days. Did I mention he was an omnipotent industrial strength toilet. Ahh (wiping tear from eye). He always had the best sense of humour.

My personal response to mania was that God must exist, because how else could the word be so exulted.

You can imagine these mental illnesses have been around as long as mankind. And, shamans, priests, and the like would have prescribed God as the cause or solution to these various illnesses. It’s easy to see how that could spread throughout populations.

Also, fire and sacrifice. The early humans believed burnt sacrifices meant water sent from heaven by the Gods. So?

Also, drugs. Hallucinogenic substances. A great source of God inspired beliefs. Kind of like schizophrenia for normal people.

1 Like