MEME off! The battleground 💥

Hundreds? ITYM “…have always been around.” The ancient egyptians described cancer as a disease:

The earliest known descriptions of cancer appear in several papyri from Ancient Egypt. The Edwin Smith Papyrus was written around 1600 BC (possibly a fragmentary copy of a text from 2500 BC) and contains a description of cancer, as well as a procedure to remove breast tumours by cauterization, wryly stating that the disease has no treatment.

There is no reason to think cancers of different kinds have not been around for, like almost always, from long before humans developed to describe it.

My bad. I didn’t know so was being conservative, should have checked.

The information from that papyrus is fascinating. Not surprised that the Egyptians knew more than Hippocrates. Due to familiarity of the human body from embalming?

I think they did pretty well seeing they had no knowledge of germ theory . Honey is sterile ,so would be good to prevent infection.

It’s my understanding that the Egyptians also carried out quite sophisticated brain surgery. At that time and until Galen ca 170 bce , the function of the brain was not understood. The heart was considered the centre of thought and emotion.

" Around 170 BC, Roman physician Galen suggested the brain’s four ventricles (fluid-filled cavities) were the seat of complex thought, and determined personality and bodily functions. This was one of the first suggestions that the brain was where our memory, personality and thinking reside. "
Understanding the brain: a brief history - Queensland Brain Institute - University of Queensland.

2 Likes

4 Likes

People get cancer all the time, Chernobyl just made it worse. Apparently it’s causing “super thyroid cancer” in the offspring of survivors

Cancer conversation moved here:

3 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

@Get_off_my_lawn

I know I shouldn’t have found that joke at all funny, but I just laughed hard.

It was the “lol” at the end that really set me off.

I may need therapy…:smirk:

The two largest risk factors in developing a cancer are genetics and age. Obviously there are many different types and cancer, and different behaviours can increase the risk, but getting old is the riskiest.

Hey!!! She’s sleeping with Annabelle!!! Jesus is also letting her sleep with a fucking possessed dolly!

Getting old increases your risk of death :skull_and_crossbones:. I hear the older you get, the higher the risk :thinking:

2 Likes

One if my grandsons at age approx 4, was climbing on the furniture.

Me “careful good boy, in case you fall”

Him “I won’t fall I’m a good climber”

Me (laughing) “no one ever thinks they’ll fall”

Him “will you run and catch me?”

Me (laughing again) “grandpa’s too old to run”

Him (looking me up and down) " are you really old"

Me " I am compared to you"

Him (looking me up and down again, then earnestly looking at my face with genuine concern) “you could die mind”

I couldn’t answer for several minutes, and my guts were hurting laughing.

:grin:

Edit…his mother was mortified, I’m still laughing years later…

Falling in front of people determines your age.
If they laugh - you’re young.
If they get all concerned and want to help - you’re old.

1 Like