Is the New Testament made up?

We can both agree that the historical locations are real. But just because the backdrop is real, that does not verify if the characters were real. If that was true, then there really were Greek gods, because in their stories they also refereed to very real locations.

Do you believe that Hercules, Theseus, Jason, Odysseus and Achilles were as real as Philip, Luke, and John? Because in the Greek legends all of the Greek characters had been to Mount Pelion.

3 Likes

That makes two of us. Although, to be honest, I prefer to identify as Chopped Filet Mignon. But I digress…

Personally, I thought I brought up some pretty good points. Chiefly, if the Bible is suppose to be the PERFECT WORD OF GOD, then why the hell are we having to debate the legitimacy of it in the first place? More specifically, I have to ponder why a self-proclaimed Christian feels compelled to visit an ATHEIST site to ask a group of ATHEISTS to help him prove the accuracy of the bible. The irony level here cannot be measured with current technology.

3 Likes

Possibly, but everyone deserves a second chance.

I have not witnessed a viable argument or convincing story, just the circular mentality of “the bible is true because it says it is true”.

I just hope he puts in some effort in actually learning the true history of the bible.

Wweellllll not so fast there my Texas Horny Toad…
clearly it would require a brain of massive functional capacity to adequately process this degree of stimuli, but it MAY be measurable, although it would entail huge hard drives to store the data.
from the article on “Irony Comprehension” :
Parametric modulation analyses revealed modulation in the right amygdala/hippocampus/parahippocampal gyrus as a positive linear function of the degree of perceived irony and modulation in the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (dlPFC) as a positive linear function of the degree of humor (Table ​(Table33 and Fig. ​Fig.3).3). No significant modulation was found in the other parametric modulation analyses.

1 Like

I believe I have requested the same thing. Given that nothing is coming nor likely on its way, I think this poor puppy does not have a leg to stand on.

The “three kings of orient” are Egyptian star worship of oriens belt and the “three kings” are the three stars on the belt rising above the horizon on the 22nd? Of December. Those stars are gone for a period of time and return on the night sky around the 25th of December. Good luck finding a date for the birth of Christ. His 25th of December birth date is a COMPLETE rip off of Egyptian cosmology. The three kings also reappear in the night sky issuing the return of the “son” and brighter days ahead.

When you look at how far the authors of the New Testament went to rip off Egyptian mythology, you have to wonder if the fucking messiah ever existed at all.

1 Like

Ratty Ratty Ratty: Please do some research prior to responding: Stop watching Zeitgist and pretending you know something.

BUDDHA
A Nepal God, born 25th December, by a Virgin around 563 YEARS before Jesus.

KRISHNA
An Indian God, born 25th December, by a Virgin around 900 YEARS before Jesus.

ZARATHUSTRA
An Iranian God, born 25th December, by a Virgin around 1,000 YEARS before Jesus. And the oldest religion on the planet and the religion the Jews carried with them on their exoduc from Persia. You really want to claim it came from Egypt? Poor Poor Ratty.

HERCULES
A Greek God, born 25th December, by a Virgin around 800 YEARS before Jesus.

MITHRA
A Persian God, born 25th December, by a Virgin- 600 YEARS before Jesus. (Part of the Zorastrian faith I believe.)

DIONYSUS
A Greek God, born 25th December, by a Virgin around 500 YEARS before Jesus

THAMMUZ
A Babylonian God, born 25th December, by a Virgin around 400 YEARS before Jesus.

HERMES
A Greek God, born 25th December, by a Virgin around 200 YEARS before Jesus.

ADONIS
A Phoenician God, born 25th December, by a Virgin around 200 YEARS before Jesus.

Christianity before Christ- John G Jackson

Who Is This King of Glory? a Critical Study of the Christos-Messiah Tradition- Alvin Boyd

Bible myths and their parallel in other religions- T.W Doane

Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All- David Fitzgerald

Jesus Never existed- Kenneth Humphreys

Caesar’s Messiah: The Roman conspiracy to invent Jesus- Joseph Atwil

101 Myths of the Bible: How ancient scribes invented biblical history- Gary Greenberg.

Anacalypsis VOL 1 & VOL 2- Godfrey Higgins.

https://www.nairaland.com/4251378/list-gods-born-virgin-25th

I’m not bothering to check the validity of each and every claim. December 25th was the Winter Solstice Celebration. Give a one-week range in either direction and you can probably fit a hundred different gods and their birthdays into the time period.

Pretending that it came from Egypt is just silly. Ratty Ratty Ratty, please do you homework before you post. (Once again.)

I did!!! I saw it on the tele, I did!!!

It is true only if David Attenborough is commenting…?

It’s a very precise date which depends on positions of stars and the travel of the sun in the sky.

The bright star Sirius rose with the sun at the summer solstice, signaling the birth of Osiris as the Nile inundation and the birth of Horus as the daily solar orb. In winter, the Three Kings in the belt of Orion pointed to Sirius at night before the annual birth of the sun, which is also Horus.

The appearance of the three stars in a line with Sirius occurred in the night sky over Egypt thousands of years ago, pointing to the horizon as the new sun was born at the winter solstice. Christmas is the Christian version of a very ancient festival celebrating light and the sun’s “birth,” as the hours of daylight increase following the winter solstice.

Buddha was never a god. He’s worshipped. But not as a god. And he isn’t recognized as being born on the 25th of December.

Vesak", the Day of the Full Moon in the month of May , is the most sacred day to millions of Buddhists around the world. It was on the Day of Vesak two and a half millennia ago, in the year 623 B.C., that the Buddha was born.

It is also recognized as the day the Buddha was enlightened and the day the Buddha died.

Well. No. It was this guy narrating.

3 Likes

Ah. I see. So, what you are saying is the level of irony is subjective. And the level of irony intended by the sender could possibly differ from the level received by the target of said irony, based on the perception of the recipient. Moreover, whenever multiple targets of delivered irony are involved, the irony levels they receive can vary drastically based on each individual’s personal perceptions. Oh, dear… (anxiously biting fingernails)… This will make testing more complicated than expected.

@Cognostic Cog! How many of those brainwave detector electrodes do we have left? We need MORE! If we have to, just start stripping the ends off several pieces of 22 gauge wire and grab a role of duct tape!

Yes my illustrious mechanized compatriot…
Simple irony is complicated.
Imagine my surprise when I was informed that irony has nothing to do with the heated pressing of clothing like my Mama did when I was little…:crazy_face:
So, back to the point, the article demonstrates the connection between knowledge/awareness of irony and humor. There is also reference to sarcasm and the difference between irony and sarcasm, indicating more of a connection with anger and sarcasm. After all “sarcasm is anger’s ugly cousin”…( I always did have a thing for my ugly THIRD cousin):smirk:

Edit for s’s and g’s

1 Like

How did you come up with this? The three belt stars of Orion certainly do not “return to the night sky” around the 25th of December.

Yes, these stars are not visible during parts of the year–they disappear from the night sky between late May and early August (they’re still there, but are above the horizon during the day when they can’t be seen). In mid October they rise around 11:30pm. In mid November they rise at around 8:30pm. In December they rise around 6:00pm.

2 Likes

Which sects considered Buddha to be a god?

Ans. Mahayana Buddhism considered Gautama Buddha to be a divine being who guided his followers to attain nirvana. On the other hand, Hinayana Buddhists consider Gautama Buddha as an ordinary human being who attained Nirvana.

Mahayana Buddhists venerate numerous Buddhas, more so than the Theravada tradition, including Maitreya and Amitābha, who are seen as beings of great wisdom and power who preside over pure lands that one can travel to after death.

Okay, We may be splitting hairs… I agree, not a creator god. But god-like spirits, beings, magical places we go to after death, etc. His miraculous birth, Queen Maya carried her baby inside her for ten lunar months, and then—as was the custom—set out to return to her mother’s home to give birth. Along the way, she stopped in a grove of sal trees and—delighted by their beauty—decided to give birth there, standing up and holding on to a branch. According to the story, the baby prince emerged from her right side, took seven steps, and proclaimed, “I am the world-honored one.” A few days later, her mission accomplished, and Queen Maya died.

God-like being?

1 Like

Are we going to go hamster hunting again? I like hamster hunting. Shoving those wires into the ground. plugging them in, watching ;the little fuzzy beasts jump out of their holes and get stuck to the duct tape. Tossing them in the pot. Starfting the fire. Can I lick the spoon? Can I lick the spoon.

2 Likes

NO NO NO…I already called dibs …

1 Like

My bad. The three kings point to Sirius after the solstice. That is the significance which the Egyptians noticed and venerated.

According to legend.

Not gonna lie, I felt that one :joy:

2 Likes