In defence of hedonism

where did you get my holiday pics?

It also advocates slavery, and portrays a vicious capricious deity, that commits indiscriminate mass murder, even torturing a new born baby to death at one point to punish its parents for conceiving it in an adulterous affair, and causing a global genocidal flood. All the while encouraging its followers into acts of evil ethnic cleansing, and the sex trafficking of female prisoners. So your claim is baffling.

Besides, why should I care what the bible says anymore than any other work of fiction?

Can you demonstrate any objective evidence for any deity?

Why would it necessarily?

Joyfully…with abandon…and single malt.

@Henry_Shymexx

. My understanding is that at ideally, the hedonist seeks his own pleasure, as the greatest good. Or at the very least, avoids pain and discomfort.

As a social animal, most humans live among others. For the hedonist, that entails obeying the law, on one level. Failure to do so can lead to acute discomfort, even death in some countries. It’s in the Hedonist’s best interest to obey the law.

On another level, the social, it is in the best interest of the hedonist to learn to get along with others. He often needs other people to help him attain at least some of his desires. That of the company of others for example. Of course some such people become hermits and live by themselves. Easy enough to do,and one doesn’t need to go live one the top of a mountain or in a cabin in the woods.

The philosophy of Ayn Rand and Libertarians both seem to have the same basic ideal; “I’m OK, fuck you Jack” I think such a life philosophy may be called hedonistic. As can any selfish, self absorbed person, like Donald Trump for example. I consider him a hedonist.He only cares about Donald Trump.

So, all mankind is actually arguing about are interpretations of what is pleasurable and what is painful. Enter the idea of delayed gratification. It appears some people strive for immediate gratification and those are the ones we call selfish, It is their own pleasure or pain in the here and now that matters to them. On the other hand, people with a more delayed sense of gratification get pleasure, still in the here and now, but also in years to come, knowing that they have done something positive for mankind.

Really, what I am asserting that the label “Hedonistic” is amorphous. It can be asserted that at the very root, hedonism is all that actually matters to human beings. (Have we not established that it is extremely difficult to establish a truly altruistic act?) Yet, every act can certainly be said to have a hedonistic quality to it.

2 Likes

Yup. Lived with that all the time I was married: We lived on the larger of the two wages,and 100% of the other went initially to paying off our mortgage. We did not use credit, at all. We paid off three mortgages, sequentially. In between mortgages we had an overseas trip almost every year, a couple of new cars, expensive furnishings.

I worked out very early that any kind of debt is the enemy of the working person.

Consumerism really began in Australia with a combination of things, but mainly: (imo) The contraceptive pill, which freed women to work, feminism which helped women to be more justly treated in the work force, and not feel guilty in wanting to have a career. Plus,equal pay in many (but by no means all) industries.

Enter the the two income family, which tends to be the norm today. With that came a culture of over consumption.

We were conned into believing we can have it all, NOW!

Enter the credit card,with its hideously high interest rates. We were actively encouraged to live beyond our means. I can only assume that our economy would collapse if most people didn’t accept that as natural law.

The rules also changed: in 1976 the amount I could borrow for my first house was set by the bank. Repayments could be no more 25% of my income. (the income of a wife was ignored as only a temporary thing)) Today, both incomes are taken into account. People borrow what are to me terrifying amounts of money on their house mortgage.

In the meantime in Australia, enter the casualistion of many industries and fixed employment contracts. It’s common for people to never even consider paying off their mortgage. They can’t , rates are far too high. That means they must use credit for consumer durables, even food, plus lots of shit they don’t want but do not need.

It’s common here for people to buy that McMansion they can’t really afford. They rely on capital growth to allow them to sell that house within 7 to 10 years and trade up. They do this indefinitely. Hopefully, by the time they retire they will have enough equity to downsize and have a free hold dwelling.Or perhaps they sell up and become the scourge of the highways, grey nomads in their Winnebagos.

Enter covid19. Job losses, guts falls out of the housing market-----

Me? I retired 20 years ago. My house was already paid for and I have not used credit since I paid off the house in 1995. I do not drink, smoke,gamble or go out with dancing girls. I live within my means. I have enough for emergencies. However,there are times I use delayed gratification as I save up for a big ticket item such as a new car or an Imac.

Not entirely convinced we would have such a robust an economy if large numbers of people shared my attitude and life style… I’m just happy I can use the system to my advantage.

1 Like

The simplest Proof I would give you goes thus, like the iPhone, you know not when you are born and neither did you Control your birth, nor can you prevent your death nor Control it (excluding suicide) either!

And some Greater Person has claimed that He Controls All things.

No man is in a Position to validly Rebut this Claim because You Do Not Know Anything About How You came about, neither where you present when you were being manufactured.

The Proper Person or Persons Who can validly rebut such a claim are Persons of the Same Standing or Persons Higher than The Claimant but this Can Never be You the manufactured man .

As an iPhone can Never Know to say that you are not the Creator of them and that it is Steve Jobs.

No Man Can Ever Possibly Know!

And the Mighty Thing we see and have seen is that No Other Greater is even Contesting Ownership With Him!

The simplest answer is this, if you can hedon past these Laws without breaking any one of them, then you are cleared to Hedon on!

The Tenets of the Law is to Live Honestly, Hurt No One and to Give To Each His Due

Any breach of any of these Laws lead to the occurence of an Offence!

As I said earlier "to use the Property belonging to Another Person as if it is your own exclusively, is very offensive!

The Bible Never Advocated or Commanded the doing on any one of Such! But as usual you have passed Judgment without a fair trial

This an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy. No claim assertion or belief is validated because it can’t be disproved. The claim is irrational by definition.

The first paragraph is just bizarre, how dies anything in it remotely evidence any deity?

Again this is bizarre, but we have overwhelming objective evidence that phones are designed and manufactured by humans. We generally also now when something is designed as they don’t occur natural. Humans like all living things evolved, there is no objective evidence that any living thing was designed.

My ex wife having met someone else, is divorcing me and will take every penny I have, as well as a chunk of my pension, and the law entitles her to do it, despite the fact she’s lived off me for 20 years, hasn’t contributed a penny towards either, or a single household bill or the mortgage, as I owned the house before we met, we have no children.

So your claim is woefully wrong

Exodus 21 describes in detail how to buy and own slaves, and how you can beat them to death, as long as they don’t die within 24 hours of the beating.

The old testament abounds with instances of the deity portrayed in it committing acts of indiscriminate murder and genocide. See the Noah’s flood myth as one example. The deity tortured King David’s newborn baby to death in the bible, because it was angered that the baby was conceived in an adulterous affair.

Have you even read the bible?

1 Like

I can give the year month day hour and minute?

So what? Other humans and entirely natural processes did.

Again so what, this is true of a turnip, besides it is quite conceivable that genetic science might one day be able to do just this science has already extended human life, and is increasing the average life expectancy all the time.

Rubbish, my parents had sexual intercourse, nine months later my grinning visage was born. A simple DNA sample can prove I was “created” by my parents.

Again so what? Its an objective fact my parents “manufactured” me, I don’t need to be present to know this.

Another theist who loves creating cryptic logical fallacies, littered with random capital letters, wtf?

Seriously, does anyone have the slightest clue what that gibberish means?

What laws are these? They’re certainly not the Mosaic laws contained in the bible, as I have already pointed out (Exodus 21), that these give specific instructions on how to buy sell and beat slaves.

There are also instructions to stone unruly children.

Or that gay people are an abomination.

And I said read the bibles endorsement of slavery, meticulously outlined in Exodus 21.

I think @Joygirl capitalizes random words when her(???) brain burps with spirit :beer:. This has been mentioned before, however, obviously ignored.
To simply “rectify” would have at least implied that Joy (hmmmm - cool :sunglasses: common name) has an ability for self-correction… NOPE

You have ignored my question, though I can guess why.

You have never read your bible.

2 Likes

I have my birth certificate, and tales from my parents, aunts, and uncles. The hospital I was born in still stands, a concrete and REAL brick structure. Those are tangible and real, a heck of a lot more evidence than your god, which you have evaded supplying any proof.

I carry a lot of my father’s appearance, nose, balding, height, and my mother, forehead, mouth, intellect. My siblings are also similar. I am knowledgeable on the biological process that created me inside my mother’s womb, and how the birthing process works., Once again, a lot more facts and evidence than your god, which you have not provided the slightest shred of evidence for.

Once again, please provide any evidence or proof of your god.

1 Like

Do you really want to go there? I am an electrician and have a smattering of electrical engineering. Additionally, I have followed the life of Jobs and Apple.

Giver me a schematic of the circuits, and I can decipher them. I know how integrated circuits work, even how you seed a semiconductor. I know and can describe down to the atomic level how electrons migrate.

Just because you are obviously ignorant about the iPhone, that does not mean others are.

2 Likes

You Tard! Therefore any claim is rebuked! The only logical claim is “No one knows.” Anyone making a claim beyond that is a frigging tard!

1 Like

Indeed, hence my giving her a reference to Exodus 21, lets see how long she can pretend to ignore this for.