How to recognize evidence for God

That’s not what I said, until you address honestly what I said, and not a straw man I can’t help you understand why you’re reasoning is facile and erroneous. I ask again what beliefs were you born with?

You also did not respond to yet another question:

If someone has never encountered any concept of any deity, they would necessarily lack belief in any deity, ipso facto they would be an atheist by definition, do you agree? Only you have ipied that disbelief can only come from knowledge, one assumes then you hold all manner of beliefs about concepts you have not yet encountered at all?

1. You said, “ Only a system with already held beliefs can ever develop new beliefs” in reference to @Sheldon saying one is born without beliefs
  2. I pointed out two examples of experiencing something new without previously experiencing it.
  3. You responded with, “ One cannot create mathematical theorems without reference to other mathematical theorems or axioms.”
  4. I asked what that had to do with holding beliefs in infancy (see #1)
  5. You asked me if I’d stopped beating my wife. (I don’t have a wife.)
  6. I asked, “Huh?”
  7. You pointed me to Wikipedia.

Oy.

1 Like

You claimed no belief could be held other than one based on an a priori belief, you are a theist… why do I feel like I am hurding barking mad cats?

1 Like

Isn’t it? see emphasized text:

What an explanation, incredible.

1 Like

Thank you, as I already told you I said nothing about “theist beliefs” in infancy.

I’ve already told you what to do - provide a proper definition for your terms, instead of relying upon obfuscation.

2 Likes

Neither did I. I was addressing your assertion that new beliefs could only be developed if one already held beliefs.

1 Like

Faith, yes but not of the religious kind. Confidence would be a better descriptive word.

Science is pretty much defined by the following:

• It is guided by natural law;
  • It has to be explanatory by reference to nature law;
  • It is testable against the empirical world;
  • Its conclusions are tentative, i.e. are not necessarily the final word; and
  • It is falsifiable.

Why wouldn’t it be “expressed” in terms of existing things? Science is natural by its very nature; to claim otherwise would be something of an oxymoron.

UK Atheist

You are utterly and completely incapalbel of logical discourse. Physics in our empirical observation of the world. If you think you know the source of anything, please share. Your ignorant bullshit manipulations don’t work in this forum. How is it you have not figured that out yet?

You win stupid comment of the week

1. the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of matter and energy. The subject matter of physics, distinguished from that of chemistry and biology, includes mechanics, heat, light and other radiation, sound, electricity, magnetism, and the structure of atoms.
  • the physical properties and phenomena of something.

plural noun: physics

“the physics of plasmas”

Should I really treat you like the idiot you pretend to be?

1 Like

As anyone can see your paraphrased claim was not the same as what I said, and again you have ignored context. Doesn’t your superstition espouse a moratorium on bearing false witness? Superstitious guff of course, but you claim to believe it? I am wondering at this point if you even are a theist, and given your relentless mendacity am finding it hard to believe a word you post. Not the obviously erroneous nonsense of course, that I am just laughing at, your claim that beliefs can only be formed from other beliefs, do you believe your mind is infinite then? Where did the first belief come from, was it magically inserted by a deity?

Obviously because @Sherlock-Holmes wants to insert inexplicable magic, and since he has no objective evidence that it exists outside his fetid imagaintion, he is used the tried old theistic god of the gaps polemic.

Can’t explain X, so goddidit, very ingenious, and very irrational of course. Not really, it’s just irrational.

1 Like

He does this with every post. It is intentional bullshit, and dishonest argumentation. He has done it since day one. He is not interested in an actual conversation. He wants to be right and he will use any tactic he can to get there.

2 Likes

Lies for Jesus. Yes it’s not an uncommon tactic in religious apologetics, creationists are the best example one could imagine of this.

No you did not, you made a subjective unevidenced argument, but can’t justify it with any credible answers. For example if beliefs can only come from beliefs, a belief would have to have existed that was infinite, and unbroken infinite regression of beliefs, and how do these beliefs get into us? You scoffed at the notion the brain’s ability to start storing memories had anything to do with us forming beliefs.

“Frontal lobes play a major role in beliefs. Mental representations of the world are integrated with sub-cortical information by prefrontal cortex. Amygdala and Hippocampus are involved in the process of thinking and thus help in execution of beliefs. NMDA receptor is involved in thinking and in the development of beliefs.”

CITATION

That doesn’t suggest a belief existed before my brain, yet by your rationale it must have?

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha … What a fucking stupid comment. Where did the first belief come from then? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha… If we needed preexisting beliefs before we could believe anything else, we would be blobs of protoplasmic flesh and bones without a though in our oligochaeta like brains.

One idiotic comment after another. No wonder theists still exist.

1 Like

Unsurprisingly he seems determined not answer that one. An infinite regression of beliefs waiting for humans to evolve and have one inserted, you’re right this is about the most spectacularly stupid claim he’s made, and that is some achievement. What are the odds he will claim this was a theistic belief a deity inserted along with a soul at the moment of conception, and atheists are denying it, so we can just do what we want now?

Let’s call that one the fav at evens. Anymore ideas of where, if anywhere, Bullwinkle is going with this one?

Since you already believe one deity exists, while disbelieving all the others as I do, perhaps you can share your method, both for belief and disbelief in deities, since you clearly doubt ours?

If you can’t offer anything then I can only infer that your expressed doubt of ours is the same dishonest biased rhetoric that litters all your other apologist spiel.

Since we are talking about standards of evidence lets try a hypothetical claim to compare what would be acceptable evidence, and how the claim compares to a god claim:

Lets say someone claims they own a house. So firstly this is so ordinary a claim that unless there were consequences one might believe the claim without any evidence, but we can easily cite objective evidence to support it. for example deeds to the property, mortgage payments, utility bills in the owners name, in the UK records at the land registry office etc etc. Not infallible, but compelling objective evidence I think we can say.

Now, imagine someone claimed they owned a house, then when asked for evidence they said they knew they did based on spiritual conviction rather than proof (religious faith), would anyone accept that standard of faith even for such an ordinary claim? I must say I am dubious.

Now imagine they claim their house can’t be detected in any empirical way, are you more or less convinced of the original claim? Now imagine they claim the house created the universe and everything in it, again more or less convinced? Now imagine they claimed the house had a nasty posthumous punishment for disbelieving their claim, or a great reward for accepting it as is, more or less convinced, or still the same?

Now imagine when you express doubt, that the person claiming to own the house, uses an argument, such as you can’t prove I don’t own a house, so an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy. anyone accepting this claim now?

Suppose they then argue that if they don’t own the house how do you explain a set of house keys they have, after all it’s a logical inference they say, that house keys open a house? They then point out that people live in house, if they don’t have this house explain where they live then? Anyone convinced now.

Now in desperation at your stubbornness, they show you a book, and in the book various characters talk about the house, make claims about it being invisible etc etc., but they can’t say who wrote the book or when, and some of the claims in the book are demonstrably false, but they claim the book is infallible, you just need to interpret it correctly, is this a compelling reason to imagine the original claim is real?

They laugh at your foolish bias in remaining dubious, and point out that the invisible house they own grants wishes, and they can prove it, You’re intrigued but dubious, they then cite anecdotal claims of people who have made wishes to the house that came true, some of which they claim defy natural or scientific explanation, they point to the enormous number of people who believe the house is real, they point out that believing the house is real has changed people’s lives for the better, these are mostly anecdotal claims, but maybe they offer some examples where people have genuinely become less dysfunctional when they join groups of people who share the belief the house is real, and enjoy the group support it offers, anyone convinced the invisible magic wish granting house is real yet.

Now imagine that throughout much of human history and still today in some places, the belief was not being offered as a choice, but that there were dire even fatal consequences to expressing doubt. Is it a more compelling prospect now, or less?

They point out that despite the hubris of scientism, science can’t and won’t ever be able to explain the invisible magic wish granting house. They point out that the material universe could not possible have created itself, they insist only an idiot who doesn’t understand science would say otherwise. Paradoxically they assert there is some scientific evidence for the invisible magic wish granting house, but when asked can’t explain why the vast majority of scientists don’t accept it is real, and the ones that do can’t offer scientific evidence that the vast majority of scientists accept, as if this is just a subjective belief some scientists hold.

Children are indoctrinated into believing the invisible magic wish granting house is real, by powerful organisations. Other countries have different versions of the invisible magic wish granting house, that reflect their history and culture, but says the original claimant, all of those are wrong. He then asks what you are basing your doubt on, insists you demonstrate your criteria for examining evidence for invisible magic wish granting houses.

This then is what we have been presented with in this thread, is anyone more convinced than they were, that the invisible magic wish granting house is real?

What the fuck is wrong with you people, you’re clearly all biased and ignorant, too stupid even to save yourselves from eternal damnation at the hands of the invisible magic wish granting house, even though it still loves you and wants you to be saved.

2 Likes

The point I was making is that something must exist if anything is to happen, so explaining the presence of things scientifically is impossible, science explains how a system’s state evolves, it cannot “explain” the presence of that system.

Me:

You:

A little memory jog might help you:

You:

I suppose Trump won the election too by your reasoning.