Ever hear of this idea?

Heh. I wonder if it at least in part has to do with the fact that quite often the victim(s.) Will likely not be their victims again. (Got older, able to better protect themselves, and aware of the abuse/manipulation.) Plus most sexual offenders are men, and men’s sexual drive drops (overall average) as the age.

He is 81, serving 150 year sentence in a FEDERAL facility. Trump passed on pardoning him/reducing sentence etc. (Madoff pissed off to many rich people.) He is likely in poor health. The rest of his life is effed, even if he got some sort of health related release.

Fact of the matter is no matter how long he rots in jail, his punishment in no way is reparation to the rest of society. The money is gone, it already funded his ultra lavish lifestyle for many years. Yes he is in jail, but he also essentially got away with it. All society can do at this point is make sure something similar does not happen again.

Don’t know about that.

My understanding is that Madoff ran a Ponzi scheme, albeit a very high level one. Bernie won’t be doing it again because he’ll die in prison.

Be willing to bet the concept and practice of Ponzi schemes is alive and well. There will always be greedy people with more money than brains.

My parents taught me two simple caveats as an adolescent :The higher the risk the higher the return AND never gamble or invest more than you can afford to lose.

The con man’s maxim; “You can’t cheat an honest man”

1 Like

Oh I agree, Ponzi schemes are not going anywhere unfortunately.

Which is the sad part, all society can really do at this point is to make sure it does not happen again, but it will.

Good education can go a long ways. Everyone should know that you cannot expect returns year after year far greater than the market indexes could ever hope to do. And expect it to be low risk or risk free.

If someone really had a way to make 20+% returns on your money or higher, year after year. The last thing they need is your money and share their “secret” success in profits with you. They can just borrow money from the fed and keep a far greater share of the profits. If the fed is not willing to loan them money, something is wrong with the picture (well at least in the USA.)

It is a bit more complex than that. Studies do show that convicted familial abusers of all ages are much more likely to show remorse, offer reparation and go on to be good citizens. In this case parole (if agreed by the victim(s)) is probably the good option.

They are not to be confused with predatory (as opposed to opportunistic) pedophiles who, studies show are very very likely to reoffend at about the same very high rate as “white collar/financial” felons without intervention and supervision. Part of the 20% “habitual criminal”. There are familial offenders who (and will no doubt will unfairly be held as examples) who are also predators as opposed to 'opportunistic" offenders who are the majority of familial offenders.

The nameless slime who murdered dozens of people in two Christchurch mosques last year was sentenced to life without parole a few days ago. New Zealand taxpayers will have to pay around $6,000 a day to feed, house, and protect this worthless scum for decades. If he continues to steal oxygen for another 40 years, that’s a cost of $87 million. And he isn’t even a New Zealander.

New Zealand and Australia are talking about transferring him to an Australian jail. The shit-for-brains killer seems to have a profound interest in Islam, so perhaps New Zealand should approach Saudi Arabia or Iran to see if they have room in one of their jails.

1 Like

I think the higher the return the higher the risk is probably a good rule of thumb, I’m not sure the reverse is true though.

never gamble or invest more than you can afford to lose.

100% agreement from me.

If only that were true, sadly this is not the case.

Problem is if the scumbag is allowed to spend his time in an Australian jail the State (whichever one) where he spends his time will have to apply their rules for parole, low security, even work release without referral to the NZ judges sentencing remarks. etc.

He could be out in 15 years in some jurisdictions.

He will also no doubt be greeted as a hero in some cell blocks.

Or he could end up in one of those sections where Islam is popular…like Goulburn’s Supermax.

Granted the article is nearly three years old but I’m sure that ol time religion is still kicking on the inside. If so and if Brenton Tarrant, the Christchurch arsehole ever landed in with the muslims they might just end up converting him which might prove to be a far greater punishment for him if he had to face the horror of his actions. Or he could just ‘accidently’ end up being isolated with a gang of less forgiving followers.

1 Like

This would require a shift in thinking … if one is inclined to view prison as punishment.

I do lean toward rehabilitation and humane treatment (once one is dehumanized, how can there be a relationship with “humanity”)…

That is nub, one is sent to prison AS punishment, not FOR punishment.

It behoves society to rehabilitate those who can be rehabilitated and continue as productive (fee paying) members of society. As it stands over 70% of total correctional budgets are wasted on the needless incarceration of the mentally ill, the homeless, the innocent of the crime charged and those able to live a life, albeit under some supervision after paying their penalty. .

In Norway and Denmark, prison for non violent “:social crime” such as shoplifting, DUI, are served at evenings and weekends. You follow your normal occupation than attend prison at curfew until the next day and weekends.

“Nub”??? Lol :joy:. I didn’t google this word - is this an age related word or cultural… cause I have no idea :bulb: what it means…

“Punishment” “Correctional facility” (China uses the term “Education camp” for some of its imprisonments)…

I’m not too caught up in the idea of “punishment” BUT in moving towards a more empathetic/responsible person. NOW obviously this is not going to be possible or plausible in all cases- and it may be that the more psychopathically inclined make up the larger number that needs to be separated from society. Narcissistic views are, in my mind, little 3-5 year olds that never “grew up” whether by choice or by environment.

We deal with these types in our day-to-day encounters and encourage them in their political or business pursuits.

No “answers” here :smirk: … just some thoughts :thought_balloon:. BTW, I’ve been personally “touched” by violent crime, so it’s not like I’m leaving out a victim perspective. I think it’s healthy that we have “victim services” and “ statements from families and victims” in the court and sentencing process.

Ohhhh :astonished: … I think that the pedos within this prison population will still, in all likelihood, have a dance with “Justice”… incarcerated tend to hold a “special” place for such ones.

China also has the sentence x number of years + death. The US effectively has the same thing with people spending years on death row before being executed.

I still remember hearing a news report on the radio about the execution of Caryl Chessman in 1960. He was on death row for murder. He was on death row for 11 years, then they gassed him. I thought that was barbaric.I was 12.

-----I don’t have any problem with the concept of the death sentence for some crimes. EG the rape and/or murder of a child or committing murder for personal gain.

I have one caveat. There must be a 100% guarantee that all such convictions are safe, unlike the US at present.

I say “let the fuckers live”! Why should they get off “easy”??? These types are not “safe” for society, nor are they going to change - just try harder to not get caught.

Sooo - stuck “together” - no access to society (dream away fuck-face) …meals prepared for them, lack of “choices”

Earned “privileges” within their level of incarceration system …like dirty laundry duty, just to get their minds off how shitty they made their own lives.

“the nub of the argument” means the critical point. I believe a "nub " was some sort of carpenters or trades tool.

Hmmmm I know of a “nub” - it brings great pleasure.

Hmmm, obviously no actual experience of the correctional facilities. Most “medium” security prisons in the Western World are arranged in blocks with prisoners catering on their block themselves, cooking prepared foods.

One thing that surprised me working in the correctional education side was how kind prisoners were to each other with only the rare utterly anti social oddments being bullied.

Most rapists, informers, ex cops and pedophiles are kept in “protective custody” . Separate blocks with minimal contact with other prisoners.

Bikies (all gangs) were segregated into their own block, had all the plum prison employment and basically ran the place. “Laundry duty” was a sought after duty. It meant you were warm, could get new underwear, socks etc when needed and it wasn’t hard at all.

That is the kind of conditions prevalent in my system, but the lack of rehabilitation is striking. Many prisoners denied early release because the court mandated program just was not available. It just causes even more resentment against society and contempt for the police, courts and correctional officers.

Yah … these guys. Well depends on ex-cops and informers…those may be different circumstances. I’m talking the SCUM of the scum…

OTHERS
Shared facilities and cooking for themselves- great; gardening; hobbies; education … I’m fine with -

Secular counselling and “life skills” … good. Financial education . Good. Community service fine … (corporations need to keep their fucking hands off - unless the top group is used for “slave labor” hmmmm - nah …hate for the corporations to sully themselves with “cheap labor” hahahaha)…

Hey - CHINA you plead guilty to AVOID the death penalty …

Not for all capital crimes.

Plus there is the generic offence for anyone they want to purge; ‘corruption’. They get a bullet to the back of the neck.

China ls has a lucrative business in harvesting the organs of executed people.

0)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0))))))))))

Off topic; I’ve often wondered why organ donation isn’t the default position in my country, at least. There would then be no shortage of organs and far fewer people would die waiting for a transplant .

Uh…cause you’d get a bullet… :wink:

http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat8/sub50/item299.html

No idea of “innocent” once charged and arrested. Pleading guilty will work towards a lower “penalty” and yes depending on the crime - doesn’t always help. But you are guilty regardless… court is beholden to State. The State is always right and just. It’s simple really - if it wasn’t so, then why do so many “admit their guilt”??? Hahahahaha. :o: