Do you look like an atheist?

What exactly does an atheist look like? We all know what a catholic priest or a nun look like, those are easy. It’s pretty easy to identify an orthodox jew, or maybe even a hindu practitioner because of their appearance, but what does a godless heathen like all/most of us look like?
Is there a certain dress code that we’re supposed to follow, like in a workplace? If there is, then I didn’t get the memo, because I wear my atheism out in public every single day of the year.
While most people try to blend in with the crowd and not call attention to themselves, I’ve looked pretty much the same for the past 40+ years. I’m a little heavier then I should be(I’m working on that), a lot grayer, and my hair is longer than it’s ever been. I’m now heavily tattooed, but I still wear exactly the same clother as before, shorts and a t-shirt.
My family says that I was born with the “Nelson scowl”, I always look like I’m pissed off about something. All 4 of our grandkids have had flashes of it, it’s kind of funny. I’ve had more than one fellow coworker say I look like a serial killer in the past, I’ve always taken it to be a compliment. It’s the reason why nobody ever fucks with me or my family out in public.
What should an atheist look like, an accountant, or a housewife, or maybe a plumber? Or do we need to look unapproachable like myself so no one tries to convert us. My family tried for decades before they realized that people don’t change, just their surroundings.

1 Like

In the state where I now reside, only the most religiose among us would concern themselves with How to Spot an Atheist. Everyone else either takes a live or let live approach, or lives in Chicago and doesn’t concern themselves with other people at all.

I’m fairly certain this is how people viewed me as an unapologetic atheist while living in the southeastern U.S., though:

3 Likes

Well, here’s an approximation of me whenever someone utter inane religious shit in my presence:

Killer Scowl? I’ve had the same thing. It’s from being introverted and being in public.

See if this fits:
I greet the public on my terms. If you walk up to me and start jabbering, my first thought is “Why in the fuck are you jabbering at me.” Then you ask me my name and what I do for a living etc… Basic social shit that is none of your fucking business at all. All I can wonder is who in the fuck are you and why in the world would you assume I want to know you?

Now, with that said; I can be dressed up and taken out. When I know I am going to be in a social situation, and I have elected to be there, I can be one of the most gregarious people in the room. I can comment on how nice people look, what great ideas they have, how interesting they are, how fascinating their jobs are, bla bla bla.

It’s actually not being fake. It’s tuning in. Paying attention to them and what they think is important in their lives. Noticing how they make sense of the world around them. A person who runs a company and is their own boss has a very different perspective of work and employment than someone working for a wage. People in education have a very different perspective on life than people in business. A salesman has a very different outlook than the average health care professional. We all live in our own little worlds and that genuinely is fascinating. Ahh. I long ago learned not to listen to what people say. I am not listening to their words but to the meta-message behind the words. Communication is 10% verbal. I am listening but paying close attention to the meta-communication. This is the only way I can find people interesting. It works for me.

2 Likes

Oh fuck!!! This is me. I always have this face :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You are absolutely CORRECT. At least during my childhood years during the 70’s and 80’s. Simply saying the word “atheist” aloud in public would have brought gasps of alarm with heads turning, faces scowling, and crosses brought to bear in defense. (Not even really exaggerating much.) It was a word that actually FRIGHTENED people. Thankfully, it’s not as bad around here now as it was then, but the vast majority of folks are STILL amazingly ignorant of what atheism truly is. Most of them STILL automatically think , “SATAN WORSHIPPER!”, when they hear the word “atheist.” The fact we do not believe in Satan any more than we believe in their god sends the irony meter off the charts.

2 Likes

And the ‘asshole’ that came up to me and said, “Why don’t you smile.” always got a double dose of “Who in the fuk are you?” “Why don’t you go and mind your own business.”

Introverts are often misunderstood. Just leave us the fuck alone until we are ready to come out and say “hi.”

2 Likes

This.

I’m social when I decide or deem it necessary to be social. When I don’t, I tend to be misanthropic towards people I don’t know or don’t want to be associated with.

4 Likes

I’d take that as a compliment.

1 Like

Where I live, everyone assumes you’re a Christian until you say otherwise.

29c

1 Like

This exact thing has happened to me a few times in the past, someone will look at me and tell me to smile, and my response has always been “why?” and I just walk away.
However, about 2 years ago, my wife and I were doing our grocery shopping, and I was having a hard time because of the pain in my feet and lower joints, and instead of standing in line at the register, I went outside to wait in the car.
Our van was parked in the front row in the “handicapped” area, and as I walked past the first parking spot, a woman sitting in the passenger seat saw the look on my face(I was in a lot of pain) and she told me to smile.
I basically ignored her, but by the time I got to our car and opened the door to get in, she walked up behind me and said “I know what will make you smile” as she pulled up her shirt and flashed me with her titties.
Needless to say, that made me smile. I’m still not sure if my wife believes me though, it was out in broad daylight, but it was just a quick show, no one else got to see them.

2 Likes

Damn. Maybe I should look gloomy and pissed off out in public more often. :smiley:… Oh, wait… :thinking: I’ve already been doing that most all of my adult life. No boobie flashes yet. :disappointed:

1 Like

A few times I got caught in a tight squeeze in chats. Both times I played my “I am an ordained priest” line (got it online from https://dudeism.com/)

Truly amazing how it silences the conversation and everyone tries to find something different to talk about.

IMO these days most theists are bothered by atheists, but completely terrified of fundamentalists.

3 Likes

There was a time when flashing titties would have made me smile as well but since I have had this rolling pin shoved up my ass… “I know better.”

1 Like

DAMN, that must be painful.

Oh okay. You remind me of Clint Eastwood with that description.

I love that movie, and anything else with Clint Eastwood in it. I don’t carry a gun, but I won’t put up with any shit from clowns like these.

1 Like

I look like an atheist because I look at things rationally. I also SWEAR like an atheist… —>

4 Likes

Welcome aboard the Good Ship AR, Andy. Looks like you should fit in nicely around here. Breakroom is down the hall on the left. Avoid accepting any “chocolate covered peanuts” from Cog. Bathroom is further down on the right. Avoid going in if a banana peel is on the doorknob. Means Cog is in there making “chocolate covered peanuts.” Make yourself at home. Enjoy your stay.

1 Like

@Andy-Stout Welcome to Atheist Republic.

What Tin Man said lol

3 Likes