Burning books is not morally wrong

Often when we destroy these we do it as a symbol. Burning The Bible, or any culturally significant book is going to make a statement. Even if its as a personal statement.

Equally religious books can help understand the perspective of religions. If you appose religion don’t buy the book, but if you want to read it for fun and then put it on a shelf with all your other fiction that’s fine, or give it away. You have a right to destroy your own property and nothing is going to happen if you burn a single bible, (it might anger some theists if you tell them). The only reason to burn any symbol is for the personal gratification, or to anger/upset someone.

Nope, not even close to being true , and burning books is wrong because it’s an act censorship, I don’t care if it’s Mein Kampf being burned, it is not the way to oppose bad deas.

The more you agree with me,busing bad reasons, the more I’m starting to question my rationale.

I do hope that’s an example of your poor language skills. Only it reads as if you’re suggesting burning symbols is a good thing if it’s to anger people or for self gratification?

That isn’t what you meant to say, is it?

While you’re here…

What objective evidence can you demonstrate for any deity?

Yes, I would agree. However one of the biggest problems with censorship is it prevents academics and scholars from learning from past events. For instants, in the hands of a psychologist, Mein Kampf, might teach how to prevent the recurrence of a figure like Hitler raising to power today, whilst to a historian it might provide a better understanding of the time.

Ok let me make it clear, No, I don’t condone the burning of any symbols regardless of position. But if some idiot has the idea in their head that burning a symbol is a good idea, there isn’t much point in telling them not to do it, as there probably just going to do it anyway.

If you really want me to discuss this topic, create a new thread, otherwise I’m not going to discuss any of my deeper opinions on this forum as I have already been temporarily banned for my beliefs. I think the discussions on this Forum are interesting, so I’m willing to follow the grain and stay silent on matters that I disagree with. If this topic comes up I might discuss it, but only if I feel able to give an opinion without admins taking things too far.

Indeed. That’s been done to death. ‘Mein Kampf’ is still readily available, at least in Oz. Hitler’s Rise to power is not an extraordinary thing in itself. Read some history.

We human beings tend to ignore many of the lessons from history. Hence thing such as genocide happen again, and again, and again ad infinitum.

1 Like

The biggest problem is it endorses the idea that it’s ok to censor voices you don’t agree with.

Bad ideas should always be challenged.

You were not banned for expressing beliefs.

I’ve started several threads asking theists and religious apologists for evidence. They all make the same lame excuses you have.

1 Like

No. @Nyarlathotep used his admin because I refused to answer a DM question for which the answers where say I’m a troll, which I’m not, say his opinion was fact, or 'something else he did not know. I said that everything I said was my opinion. And he blocked me for 24hrs. When I logged back on, he asked me to answer the same question again. Telling me my next post on the website needed to be an answer to his question. So, we about to find out what you all really think about censorship. Or is this ‘good censorship’.

Boo hoo hoo, playing the victim game now?

You were offered an opportunity to correct previous unacceptable behavior. Consider yourself lucky you were given a second chance.

And is it really so hard, such a strain on your constitution and ego for you to give an honest and straightforward answer?

I’m not going through this again. You repeatedly ignoring the official private warning, despite my numerous pleas for you to stop. No part of the warning even addressed your beliefs. I suspended you for 24 hours in a last ditch attempt to get your attention (to respond to the warning), which is the only way your account could have possibly been salvaged at that point. Every time I have to touch the button too suspend/ban someone; it is a black mark against AR (and myself because I’m currently the moderator). I have failed. (user locked)

Hahahahaha … this isn’t government. This forum is private run WITH standards set out ahead of time AND a warning :warning:

Wahhhh wahhhhh guess what dipshit? People have choices whether to listen to you or allow you on a platform

Don’t like it??? Go start your own platform for confused, dictionary illiterates …

1 Like

I’ve never noticed it, although misogyny and racism are not permitted. Nor self promotion. All reasonable imo.

This is a private forum open to the public. There are no innate rights, only privileges.

Nyarlathotep is our moderator. I have never once seen him abuse that position.

I do not see a person being banned as any kind of a failure by anyone here and most certainly not our moderator… We are not here to meet the expectations of those who wonder in here. Such people are invariably treated with far more patience than I had when I moderated a site some years ago.

Don’t like our rules? No problem. Refuse to comply and you will be banned.

When I joined this forum, I made a bad mistake and broke the forum rules. I was informed by private message, understood it all, and I now make sure I never violate the forum rules.

Is it that hard to take good advice from a moderator instead of trying to piss down their throat?

Is it that hard to do the right thing and change?

I have enough experience of Nyarlathotep’s monitoring of this site to know he is both fair and patient. There remains a question mark over your integrity, not least because of the dishonest way you have evaded yes or no questions, like **can you demonstrate any objective evidence for any deity? **

It’s not censorship at all, this forum has rules, the people who dedicate their time to enforce those rules have the final say. If you think you’re being treated harshly go find an exchange on a theist website where an atheist has dared subject their archaic unevidenced superstition to critical rational scrutiny.

How does that compare to you stubbornly refusing to stop misrepresenting basic word definitions?

Well which is it? He’s right as you posted to contradictory claims, and have failed to offer any credible explanation. He’s not obliged to offer you this chance, and freedom expression though absolute still can have consequences.

I would baulk at someone burning any book, even an antisemitic diatribe like Mein Kamps, because of the message that would send, however that doesn’t mean I’d let some promote such views with impunity on a public forum if I were responsible for monitoring it’s content.

3 Likes

Lol :joy: me too. Learnt the boundaries! Fuck…

I’ve had a polite warning once as well. It’s simple enough, if you want to use any online platform someone else owns, you have to obey their rules.

As Trump has finally at long last found out.

Free speech is and must be an absolute right, but that does not mean what we say never has consequences.

The moderation of this site is as fair and patient as any I’ve seen. It’s one of the reasons I come here, everybody gets a fair shake, and are treated like adults.

Me too. Apparently something I posted was sexist. Not hard for someone of my age and background. I stepped back and could see how people could see it that way. The result has been that I take more care over the things I post.

It’s not a complicated concept: If one wants to post on this[ or any other] forum, one obeys the forum rules.

Tu quoque I know, but I’ll mention it just the same. Believers of all stripes are afforded more acceptance and compassion here than I was shown on the couple of Christian forums I joined.(two) . I longest I lasted was an hour and a half. I asked a question about evidence.

There was another forum, claiming to be devoted to Egyptology. I hadn’t noticed it was based in Cairo. In response to a claim, I stated that the Quran is not a history book. Pickle me grandmother! It was is if I’d accused them of eating their children. Some of 'em became quite unstrung. I mean, who makes a death threat on an internet forum?

There are communities that set the tone for discussion. Do you think I could freely say Jesus fuckin’Christ on a Christian forum? Do you think I swore at work! Nope.

It’s called being adaptable.
Not censorship

Different communities require and set the standard for content, expression, etc. YOU are “free” to join or start your own.

1 Like

I don’t want to talk about getting warnings. … Okay, if you twist my arm. I think I have only had two or possibly three… they are so infrequent, I actually do not remember. Each and every one of them was as polite as could possibly be. I would even assert that they came to me more as a request than a demand. “Hey you monkey breathed poo throwing piece of unevolved tooth decay, would you please stop throwing poo at ___________.” (Insert name here,)

Okay, okay, the language of the question the moderators aske is not exactly like my example but that’s the way I fucking read it! All I had to do was politely write back, "thank you for the rucking warning and I’m sorry ________ got their little feelings hurt. " See how I said “Thank You” It’s so disarming and lets the mods know that I take them seriously.

Okay, okay, the language of the response I give to moderation is not exactly like the example, but we all know “that’s what I really meant.”

In the end, moderation on this site is extremely fair. Anyone being removed has obviously demonstrated that they have no ability at all to simply follow the rules or get along with others on the site. Hell, I am convinced, by all the shit I get away with, that moderation is sleeping most of the time. … They really are quite liberal and in all fairness the warnings I have received were certainly earned… (Can you imagine that, Me earning warnings? )

Well, that’s all I have to say about the matter. I support the moderation here. If you got yourself a fucking warning its because you deserved it. The appropriate response is "Thank you mods! May I have another!. LOL Cheers!

1 Like

The mods have dealt with this side of me when I get overexcited towards a chewy toy…

I don’t envy them.
I sure in the fuck wouldn’t want the job of moderating me…

Me neither, not without a whip and a chair. :innocent:

(and possibly my friend Bernard and Maurice, his hunting ferret)

Indeed, or anywhere come to that. I joined a thread that was in full flow, I saw the large number of responses and should have guessed it meant someone had kicked off. Sure enough someone had started with angry ad hominem, and three regulars were letting them know by that point what they thought, I started politely enough, but the tone was already set with that poster on the defensive, and I joined in with the sarcasm, it very quickly turned to the 4 regulars (including me) baiting that poster, I was politely warned as part of the group that what we were doing could be construed as trolling.

I apologised and was more careful after that, I’m pretty sure all the other regulars did as well, though not the angry nutjob who’d just arrived and started it.