Biblical Faith is trust by evidence seen

I came across a talk by renowned Caltech physicist Sean Carroll, with the title “God is not a Good Theory”. It was held in 2013, but has aged well. In it, he demolishes some of the explanations theists uses for God as an explanation for the universe. In particular, he attacks the teleological Kalam cosmological argument, and the argument from ignorance. The talk itself is more than 50 minutes long, and I found it very interesting. For those of you who think he speaks too slowly (which I do), you can increase the playback speed under the Settings-menu. I watched it at playback speed 1.5, but that’s me. Your mileagekilometreage may vary.

The authors subjective interpretation of religious faith, might be a little less specious if …

a) It were not contradicted by the dictionary definition of religious faith.

b) The author was not basing their vapid claim for evidence, on irrational argument, and unevidenced assumption.

OR even the bible’s

Can’t get much clearer than that.

Anyhoo … my bet???

A run-by fruiting :apple: :watermelon: :banana:

1 Like

Just in case you’re lurking :eyes: @RachHoll
Are Adam and Eve in hell?

@David_Killens No worries…I deleted that post.

And how the heck are you Canadians so polite? You make us Yankees (Americans) look like morons.

The Op makes claims about God, which are nothing really new under the sun, and to whit, I have not seen one piece of evidence about her God, which substantiates her claim, by any means.

@BigNeerav Thank you, I appreciate that class act.

Why are us Canadian polite? Mainly just cultural, and connected to the fact that up here in the Great White North, when the cold grasp of winter descends, if you are a jerk you may wind up frozen to death in your broken-down car because no one will give you a hand.

A harsh environment forces co-operation.

1 Like

We have lots of space, eh…

The irritating bossy ones live in Ontario, eh, and the stubborn bossy ones in Alberta, eh and the lalalala hippy dippy types are in BC and den da arrogant demanding ones are in Quebec and the smart ones that can’t take us are on the islands or far North… and the ones I didn’t mention aren’t worth mentioning much, eh :wink:

@David_Killens An interesting research topic in the area of psychology and sociology!

@Whitefire13 And the cojones to torture us Americans with the likes of Justin Bieber! LMAO! :rofl: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yah - he went all “American” on us! :laughing:

@Whitefire13 I was thinking Los Angeles, California, but I guess BC also. By the way, the contemporary spiritual teacher, Eckhart Tolle, lives in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Maybe @RachHoll is a Bieber fan. That would make her a both a God-Believer and a Belieber. Or better yet, combine the two together to make her a gasp God-Belieber! LMAO! :rofl: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

I prefer (???) the Ekhart type over the David Ickes of this world. They have more positive energy. Lol.

Practicing the Power of Now is DEFINITELY a better choice than subscribing to an unevidenced claim of some Creator God, based on an incorrect definition of the term “faith”. Oh well. To each to their own.

But we had banked favor by giving you Pamela Anderson.

All we can say about Justin Bieber is … sorry.

@David_Killens Pamela Anderson was SO hot back in the day. Loved her on “Baywatch”.

Yes…I’m duplicating a post because it hit me! We have a Muslim (who seems somewhat more engaged in follow up) and a Christian selling us their own version of god at the same time (roughly) … based on drumroll

Hmmm :thinking: quite the quandary.

Which one to choose???

They are both roughly selling the same thing. If you can do both, then go for it!

Which god would that be??

You I have learned from others not to make claims, as I use to claim we knew what started the universe. We do not. We know at some point the universe was possibly born and was probably the size of a marble when it was first here. What caused this is an (I Don’t Know.) And there’s at least 3200 different beliefs as to how creation happened. That’s the number of current known religions. They all have a separate idea of how their god(s) created it all.

You posted only assumptions but no actual evidence. I have no evidence for my belief that death is nothing, that one dies into nothing. Nothing after you die like a shut down computer which can not be turned back on. Life just ends.

What would you do after a few millions years? Are you saying you wouldn’t get tired of living after awhile?

Religion is about one thing, not dying.

I am assuming that you are a Christian, can you point me to proof of the six day time span? Where’s the proof or evidence that the universe was created in six days? You do know the solar system wasn’t here for over 9 billion years right?

How would I know this?

The universe is approximately 13.8 or close to 14 billions years old, earth is 4.543 billion years. Just do the math our universe was here long before we were. That doesn’t add up to the six days does it?

And how about Adam and Eve?

Are you saying brothers and sisters were having sex to start population? If it started with only two they would have to have.

Evolution is a fact we didn’t start with just two people.

I do not know everything about everything as when I make claims I get my ass handed to me by other atheists. There are things we just do not know but evidence in science so far has not pointed to a god. NOT that we know for sure. It is one of those (I Don’t Know) things. I don’t know what exactly caused the Big Bang to occur, it happened, not that it was even a bang at all. The universe started out little then expanded all over the place.

Your bible tries to answer these questions but nothing so far can prove what is in that bible. If anything science can debunk most of what is in it. And why does the bible not mention https://www.livescience.com/38218-facts-about-pangaea.html

Where’s this in your bible, why is there no mention of this?
The bible never mentions dinosaurs either.

In fact it places humans as first when there’s been many here before us. And when earth was first here there was no atmosphere.
You wouldn’t have been able to live here without some sort of space suit. An earth collision is believed to be the birth of our moon.
Many other things happened to allow our existence too, none happened to some specific order. It was as we know to the best of our knowledge pretty random.

If the six day thing was correct it would be observed by what we can see in space. First light was billions of light years away and nowhere near where we are now. It is possible there’s life out there which happened before us. That would also be in your bible, wouldn’t it?

I do not believe in any god(s) as all I want to see is evidence for a god. What is in the bible is not evidence. At least not by my standards as I want to see even one biblical story confirmed in science.

Would there not be some sort of evidence of the great flood?

What did your god hide it from science?

I have seen plenty of so called evidence that your god is real. I even felt as though he use to talk to me, and whisper advice to me. It took me years to finally realize my mind can make this stuff up and make it seem real. That’s in a way evidence but not reliable evidence. I am waiting on science to show us a possible god. And if none can be found then I believe there is none.

I am scared to death of dying, but if I am right there’s really nothing to fear there.

One is here for awhile, then you die and you are just not here like before one is born. Evidence for this?

No I don’t have evidence for this but it is what I believe.

So give us evidence for a biblical story.

I am waiting.

PS

If I fucked up anything and made claims that are not proved with evidence then please correct me. I have (Beliefs) even if they are not all backed up with (Evidence). I do not believe in my personal beliefs that there’s either a heaven or a hell.

Please tell us then how your faith is evidence?

1 Like

We have also have heaps. 20% of my country is desert. 85% of us live in half a dozen coastal cities. That makes the rest of the country a pretty big empty.

The outback can be deadly. No snow, no water, just miles and miles of miles and miles.

Tourist often die from ignorance. They don’t tell police when they leave and when they should arrive at their destination. What usually kills them is they wander away from their broken down car.

Deaths from drowning in the sea on a suburban beach tend to be avoidable and caused by stupidity. Being eaten by a shark is just unfortunate. I have not swam in the sea for nearly 50 years. Very few sharks in Gym swimming pools.

My state of south Australia has Anna Creek Station, the largest working cattle station (ranch) in the world.