Atheist, or Anti-theist?

You’re profile says you’re a theist, so that’s a bizarre question, and even more bizarre to address it to an atheist forum? I don’t like to leap to conclusions, but you’re setting alarm bells off in your very first post.

I’m getting ready to call this one.

I’ve decided to waste my time in lieu of definitive proof this one is a troll.

Which god are you imagining it is a shame doesn’t exist, and why? Since you capitalised god, you are referring to a specific deity, and thus would need to accurately define that deity, before your question makes any sense even as a hypothetical. You would also need to explain why you think this is “shame”, and demonstrate some objective evidence to support your assertions.

Since I am an atheists I lack belief in any deity or deities, as I have seen no objective evidence or any rational argument that any deity exists, or is even possible. This does not mean I believe no deity exists.

1 Like

@Kevin_Levites No Loss…nothing is gone. To the contrary…you, as of some time ago, acquired an annoying bird to peck at you and to pick your brain. I like brains. You have a good one there and I want to…well never-mind that now…I’m not in competition with anyone in here because…
cup of care

IMG_32706CT-DP-Avatar small

3 Likes

Your question makes no sense to me. Please explain.

2 Likes

Just continuing the thought…
However, if you are going to discuss a God, any God, you should first clearly define exactly what it is you are calling a God. In this way, we can begin the conversation on equal footing.

Hey Sheldon? Do you play checkers? I’m going to brew some coffee. I have a hunch we are never going to hear back on this one. You go ahead and make the first move. Will that be one lump or two?

Taking note of the above discussion about the unfortunate connotations attached to the phrase “anti-theist” (once again, in part the product of the lack of rigour of everyday language) …

I prefer to describe myself as being in opposition to treating unsupported mythological assertions uncritically as fact. Hardly a pithy phrase, but one that far more accurately represents my true position. If someone can provide a succinct encapsulation of that, I will of course welcome the effort expended, and acknowledge copyright accordingly.

The point being that we here, if we are to be rigorous on the matter, are opposed to a failed epistemological process. One that has demonstrably failed, because at no point has uncritical acceptance of mythological assertions ever led to genuine, substantive knowledge. Instead, it’s led to many errors, the persistence of fallacies, the promotion of wilful ignorance and, at worst, the elevation of deliberate discoursive duplicity to a purported “virtue”.

Indeed, the fun part is, that I’m on public record here as not being opposed to theism per se. Indeed, several of my regular readers will be aware that I’ve posted some interesting speculations on the nature of any god type entity that might genuinely exist. See some of my braneworld cosmology posts for an example that many here may have found amusing when I posted it. For newcomers, the thread in question is this one, and the speculative post therein is this one.

What I am opposed to instead, is the idea that my entirely proper suspicion of unsupported assertions contained in pre-scientific mythologies, purportedly constitutes some sort of cognitive and ethical deficit, a scurrilous insinuation that is all too frequently deployed by the mythology fanboys. Indeed, the proper rules of discourse tell anyone familiar therewith, that suspicion of unsupported assertions should be the default modus operandi. Furthermore, that suspicion should be deployed universally.

The regulars won’t have to look very far on the forums, in order to alight upon pernicious examples of the consequences of failing to deploy said suspicion, particularly when said failure is selective and agenda driven, and which brings into sharp relief where the real cognitive and ethical deficits lie.

1 Like

Exactly so,it’s not our fault when religious apologists try to hide behind generic notions of a deity, in order to pretend their belief is unfalsifiable. Especially when they then tellingly capitalize the word god, and so clearly believe in one specific deity. Accurately define that deity, and present the most compelling reason you think you have for it’s existence outside of the human imagination. Now why is it so few theists try to do that in their first post I wonder?

One for me, and yes I like a game of draughts :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :innocent: occasionally. :smirk: Oh make mine a tes though, not much of a coffee drinker.

In fact brew a pot, as I suspect you;re right. and we have another drive by proselytising.

Do you believe that everything accidentally came from nothing?

1 Like

Without a God can there be life after death?

1 Like

Maybe, why not? :woman_shrugging:t6:

4 Likes

Do you believe nothing exists? Can you demonstrate nothing?

4 Likes

Only if you are a Buddhist, Pagan, Spiritualist, Gnostic, Hindu, Taoist, Nontheist Quaker, or a member of the Satanic Temple. All sorts of people believe in bullshit. Did you think you were special?

5 Likes

Hey, @DaldieDuckweather, is just dropping a question here and there your idea of debate?
I asked you to explain one of them and you just moved on by it, asking others.
If a bag of questions is all you have, you may find folks here get weary of your posts rather quickly.
Just some friendly advice….

3 Likes

Of course not, that’s ridiculous…nothing did it on purpose…sheesh

4 Likes

Well eliminating “a God” would still leave thousands of other gods, but the answer is still, an unequivocal…no due to the unwavering and specific definition of death…
Now, you may think I am being pedantic and you would probably be correct, but even if we substitute any for “a”
the answer is…wait for it…

1 Like

The question presupposes life after death as a fact. We have no indications that there is such a thing. Thus, the question does not make sense.

3 Likes

This tiresome creationist lie has been busted time and again here. Try exercising some diligence before posting.

1 Like

No pre-supposition here, my friend.

1 Like

Only because you haven’t spent enough time thinking about the question.

1 Like

From an intellectual point of view, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for not believing in God.

1 Like

We are still waiting for that “INTELLECTUAL” reason. So far, we have heard nothing from you but mindless blathering.

4 Likes